Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Slippery Jack 7th June 2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 248344)
now i've just had the interesting news that my local (haha) cinema of note is showing Quatermass & The Pit (AND Plague of the Zombies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) shortly. :dance::rockon::bounce:

Yeah I got Plague of Zombies up on tuesday in Brum :cool:

FULL LIST OF SCREENINGS NATIONWIDE!

Slippery Jack 7th June 2012 09:58 AM

...just noticed, EVERYONE has Plague of Zombies up on tuesday :doh: . . .

Demoncrat 7th June 2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 248353)
Yeah I got Plague of Zombies up on tuesday in Brum :cool:

FULL LIST OF SCREENINGS NATIONWIDE!

Wow, 2 cinemas showing the same films :laugh: wonder how the cineworld audience will fare.....tempted to go to insane lengths (ie send mate to one, i go to other hahahaha)

Slippery Jack 7th June 2012 10:07 AM

Hmmm. Crappy Cineworld site doesn't seem to have any mention of it :mmph: Maybe the whole system goes down if they try and advertise a vintage no-CGI 2D film :confused: . . .

Hawkmonger 7th June 2012 10:55 AM

Have you checked in the coming soon section mr Jack?
I can assure you it's there.
I'm gonna be there myself, busy day at the cinema Tuesday, what with Plague AND Jaw's opening on the same day.
Looking forward to Quatermass and the Pit also. :dance:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th June 2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 248259)
I appologise on all 3 accounts but this doesnt change my opinion what-so-ever.
I was led to believe it was an Alien prequal by Mr Scott himself despite all his question dodging and tongue twisting, and he did not deliver the good's.
Yes, it was enourmasly fun that we got to find the history of the Space Jokey but jog on, I wanted to find out where the Xenomorph's originated.
I'll still go and see any sequal that anyone chuck's out there.:rockon:

Ridley Scott sat out to make a prequel to Alien, but changed his mind and decided to make a stand-alone film set within the same futuristic universe as his seminal 1979 film took place.

Slippery Jack 7th June 2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 248360)
Have you checked in the coming soon section mr Jack?
I can assure you it's there.

Um, oh yeah ... so it is :blush: . . .

damek 7th June 2012 02:26 PM

I watched "House" with Michael Madsen, and it was a ****ing horrible unoriginal piece of shit that never got scary, just mildly less annoying in certain scenes than others. I knew this as soon as they entered the building......

I have no idea which movies the ideas they used in this movie were stolen from (my memory is not so good at times), but they were indeed copied.

Furthermore. I could not get a good download of this piece of shit -yes, I said it! I wanted to download a (this) movie- so I bought it from someone online for 3 euro incl postage.

It's worth like 2 cents though. The entertainment value is about that. Conclusion: this is total garbage, and I believe it got like a 5,x(see below) on imdb, but trust me: unless you like boring shit youve seen many times before, executed in a very mediocre manner, don't ever watch it.

Correction: the rating is 4.8

Gojirosan 7th June 2012 03:05 PM

MegaFault - 2009 US TV d: David Michael Latt

Perfectly entertaining but clunky and mawkish low budget disaster flick from The Asylum for SyFy. Full of Bad Science, which I LOVE in films. A very sad part of it was that this was one of Brittany Murphy's last films and she looked awful in it - skeletally skinny, botoxed and collagened into a wax duckface, and generally unwell looking. :(

re.form 7th June 2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 248371)
Ridley Scott sat out to make a prequel to Alien, but changed his mind and decided to make a stand-alone film set within the same futuristic universe as his seminal 1979 film took place.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm putting SPOILERS just to cover my own back. There's not really spoilers here.

Just wanted to say that the films is a DIRECT prequel to Alien. You'll know why when you see it. It is not a stand alone film.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 7th June 2012 07:35 PM

Recent viewings:

http://elephant.app1.srv.letterboxd....0-222-crop.jpg http://memento.app1.srv.letterboxd.c...0-222-crop.jpg http://elephant.app1.srv.letterboxd....0-222-crop.jpg http://elephant.app1.srv.letterboxd....0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.app1.srv.letterboxd....0-222-crop.jpg http://psycho.app1.srv.letterboxd.co...0-222-crop.jpg http://elephant.app1.srv.letterboxd....0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.app1.srv.letterboxd....0-222-crop.jpg http://elephant.app1.srv.letterboxd....0-222-crop.jpg http://memento.app1.srv.letterboxd.c...0-222-crop.jpg http://memento.app1.srv.letterboxd.c...0-222-crop.jpg http://elephant.app1.srv.letterboxd....0-222-crop.jpg

VicDakin 7th June 2012 07:39 PM

The Coffin Joe Collection

1 Attachment(s)
Were they from the The Coffin Joe Collection Mr BE ?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 7th June 2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 248535)
Were they from the The Coffin Joe Collection Mr BE ?

Yep.

I saw that Pete was selling his, and it made me want to revisit them again. :D

VicDakin 7th June 2012 07:45 PM

Embodiment Of Evil

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 248538)
Yep.

I saw that Pete was selling his, and it made me want to revisit them again. :D

Cool I watched Embodiment Of Evil quite recently,and really liked it.
http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/atta...2&d=1339098268

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 7th June 2012 07:49 PM

Yeah, I liked Embodiment of Evil too. :nod:

After the first two films (Soul and Corpse), the 'sequels' get progressively more ropey and tenuous in regards to good old Coffin Joe; Embodiment was a nice re-boot to the franchise. I picked up the BD last year for less than £4 on Amazon.

artisturn 8th June 2012 04:16 AM

2 Headed Shark Attack (2012)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th June 2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re.form (Post 248524)

I'm putting SPOILERS just to cover my own back. There's not really spoilers here.

Just wanted to say that the films is a DIRECT prequel to Alien. You'll know why when you see it. It is not a stand alone film.

I wouldn't say it's a direct prequel – Ridley Scott sat there's basically another two films between Prometheus and Alien so, despite similarities, Prometheus could be taken as a stand-alone film or, should first two films be made, the first in the Alien series!

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 8th June 2012 01:38 PM

Last 20 films I've seen...

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...Stuff/12-1.jpg

Slippery Jack 8th June 2012 03:28 PM

Michael - Bloody hell! Possibly my favourite film of the year thus far. This year's Dogtooth, only much more disturbing :shocked:

Peeping Tom - My god the colours are stunning in this film - out Bava's Bava :clap: . . .

Hawkmonger 8th June 2012 03:29 PM

Is the Studio Canal Peeping Tom BD of a good quality? Might add it to my to get list.

Slippery Jack 8th June 2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 248540)

After the first two films (Soul and Corpse), the 'sequels' get progressively more ropey and tenuous in regards to good old Coffin Joe

Agreed. The first one is my favourite with all the unrepentant (but oddly charming) blasphemy - eating pork on the Sabbath and whatnot
:lol: . . .

Slippery Jack 8th June 2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 248793)
Is the Studio Canal Peeping Tom BD of a good quality? Might add it to my to get list.

Well it looked pretty amazing to me, but then I'm not one of those eagle eye audio visual obsessives you get around here :loco: (Suspiria BD looked FINE!!!) . . .

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th June 2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 248797)
Well it looked pretty amazing to me, but then I'm not one of those eagle eye audio visual obsessives you get around here

Agreed - The Studio Canal BD of Peeping Tom looks fantastic!

Handyman Joe 8th June 2012 07:39 PM

Just back from Prometheus and have to stick my tuppence worth in (don't worry, no spoilers) - it is an incredible piece of work. I cannot believe all the 3/5 ratings I've seen in the media, all i can say is we're pretty spoiled if this is considered an average film.
Negatives out the way first - there is a couple of silly scenes, obviously there to keep the multiplex crowd awake - for me they spoiled the tone of the movie, but its not a big deal. Also quite a bit of Alien recycling - more than a few familiar ideas put in an appearance. Some of the crew are no more than ciphers and the character shading just isn't there as it was in the original movie This is minor carping however - the film looks stunning and for once the 3D is justified, in fact its difficult to imagine the alien world and the futuristic holographic technology without it. There's a load of brilliant ideas, amazing special effects and a last shot to die for. I thought Iron Man fighting Thor was my years top nerdgasm - I was wrong! In short, don't miss this movie in the cinemas - Mr Scott is now officially forgiven for A Good Year In Provence.

Baseball Fury 8th June 2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re.form (Post 248524)

No it isn't.

re.form 8th June 2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 248942)
No it isn't.

It isn't a stand alone film? or it isn't a direct sequel?

People who are saying it isn't a prequel must have watched a different film to the one I saw. Or they left before the movie finished.

re.form 8th June 2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 248670)
I wouldn't say it's a direct prequel – Ridley Scott sat there's basically another two films between Prometheus and Alien so, despite similarities, Prometheus could be taken as a stand-alone film or, should first two films be made, the first in the Alien series!

Yeah, but...it's a prequel then either way, right? My definition of a prequel is a movie made thats set before the films that came before it. By direct I mean it's obviously a movie set in the same universe and has a plot that directly links it to what comes next.

Was Star Wars episode I not a prequel until II and III got made?

It's hard to discuss this withough me saying the obvious spoilers.

Slippery Jack 8th June 2012 10:13 PM

Quatermass & the Pit

Maybe I missed Nigel Kneale's story credit on Prometheus...

SPOILERS...

The discovery of a spaceship containing fossilised alien remains. Cave paintings alerting to the age of the ship, and how the aliens were responsible for creating human life on Earth. The scientists working under the scrutiny of a no-nonsense superior (who later meets a sticky end at the hands of the ship). The biology of the ship inadvertently reawakened, and an alien plan to decimate life on Earth unleashed. The alien threat stopped by a self-sacrificing human ramming a big-ass metal object into it. There’s even a ****ing dream reading machine!

keirarts 8th June 2012 11:29 PM

Lost Highway.

My lynch boxset turned up today (at 3:30 in the afternoon, well done royal mail) and naturally given the high number of complaints I opened it immediately and stuck on Lost highway to see if it was faulty. Fortunately I got one that wasn't duff and the film played 100% fine. As good as it ever was, the first hour or so is full of palpable dread and then things go really mental for the second half, still an underrated movie in my opinion. Still love the tailgaiting scene as well!

PQ wise the film looks great to me, 1080i or 1080p I dont know but it looks better than it ever has done and sounds better too so that's good as well.

Also had a quick check of the Blue velvet disc... Missing the hours worth of deleted scenes from the 25th anniversary disc (so glad I didn't flog it!) but we do get a 40 minute interview with dennis hopper from one of the older dvd releases.

artisturn 9th June 2012 07:22 AM

Pieces (Full Screen) (Uncut) (1982)

Kyle 9th June 2012 07:33 AM

snow white and the huntsman 8/10
android 7/10
silent running 6/10
the sitter 5/10

Baseball Fury 9th June 2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 249015)
Lost Highway.

My lynch boxset turned up today (at 3:30 in the afternoon, well done royal mail) and naturally given the high number of complaints I opened it immediately and stuck on Lost highway to see if it was faulty. Fortunately I got one that wasn't duff and the film played 100% fine. As good as it ever was, the first hour or so is full of palpable dread and then things go really mental for the second half, still an underrated movie in my opinion. Still love the tailgaiting scene as well!

PQ wise the film looks great to me, 1080i or 1080p I dont know but it looks better than it ever has done and sounds better too so that's good as well.

Also had a quick check of the Blue velvet disc... Missing the hours worth of deleted scenes from the 25th anniversary disc (so glad I didn't flog it!) but we do get a 40 minute interview with dennis hopper from one of the older dvd releases.

Check the audio on FWWM as well, another error. At certain points (2:06 being one of them) there's a weird noise (that shouldn't be there) like a backwards skipping vinyl or those weird wavey noises you'd get on VHS tapes. If yours is fine, then I may chance a replacement!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th June 2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

It's a brilliant release with outstanding AV quality – buy, buy, buy!

Susan Foreman 9th June 2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Please forgive my ignorance here, but is the Studio Canal Blu-Ray version of this film the same as the Optimum Home Entertainment DVD version?

Are Studio Canal and Optimum 'related', or are they two completely separate companies?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th June 2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re.form (Post 248957)
Yeah, but...it's a prequel then either way, right? My definition of a prequel is a movie made thats set before the films that came before it. By direct I mean it's obviously a movie set in the same universe and has a plot that directly links it to what comes next.

Was Star Wars episode I not a prequel until II and III got made?

It's hard to discuss this withough me saying the obvious spoilers.

True on all counts. I was saying it wasn't a 'direct' prequel as the events don't seamlessly lead onto those in Alien just as, to use your example, The Phantom Menace isn't a direct prequel to A New Hope and you can substitute The Phantom Menace for Prometheus and A New Hope for Alien (only Ridley Scott's films are better by far!).

If you knew nothing about the existing Alien films, you could easily watch Prometheus on its own without the necessity to then watch Alien, albeit with the last scene leaving you a little puzzled!

Gojirosan 9th June 2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 249077)
Are Studio Canal and Optimum 'related', or are they two completely separate companies?

Optimum Releasing are a part of the massive Studio Canal corporation. As are Kinowelt.

I had a Blu-Ray on the other day which was an Optimum release if you chose English and a Kinowelt release if you chose German.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th June 2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 249077)
Please forgive my ignorance here, but is the Studio Canal Blu-Ray version of this film the same as the Optimum Home Entertainment DVD version?

Optimum was a British company which was part of StudioCanal, a giant French company. Last year (or perhaps early this year, I forget when), Optimum stopped being the distributing label in the UK as everything switched over to StudioCanal.

So, that said, they are the same release.

Gojirosan 9th June 2012 10:28 AM

And ultimately, StudioCanal and the rest of the Canal+ group are parts of the truly gigantic French media giant Vivendi.

Hawkmonger 9th June 2012 10:29 AM

Planet of the Vampires (Mario Bava, 1965) It's.....just like..........Prometheus.......:eek:

keirarts 9th June 2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 249064)
Check the audio on FWWM as well, another error. At certain points (2:06 being one of them) there's a weird noise (that shouldn't be there) like a backwards skipping vinyl or those weird wavey noises you'd get on VHS tapes. If yours is fine, then I may chance a replacement!

I'll give it a try this afternoon. (hell any excuse to re-visit fire walk with me.)

I'm genuinely surprised there's been no product recall on this set. From what i've seen on-line there's a high proportion of faulty discs out there and i'd imagine a LOT being returned.

Personally I would say to anyone considering this set or even considering a replacement.. Wait and see. I suspect I may have simply lucked out and possibly got one of the few that's ok (though the sound dropped out on lost highway for a quater of a second) When DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS came out with all the issues I waited a month until after the product recall and picked it up when they re-issued it. Honestly if I hadn't pre-ordered the damnned thing I would have done the same with this.