LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th January 2016, 10:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
The Night Has Eyes.

I had to check this movie out after reading Dem's review. It's free on youtube but you get what you pay for, as the quality is terrible. I think that's why i didn't enjoy it as much as Dem did. Having said that i was actually thrilled by the ending, it is everything Dem said it was and i can also agree that it won't be a 'one watch 'title for me either... but next time i might track down a better quality version of the film, i think then i might actually be able to enjoy the movie as intended.

i'd give it a four out of five.
You'll be able to get the lovely Network print for £4 the next time they have a sale.
Demoncrat, keirarts and Vipp like this.
Old 24th January 2016, 10:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

£4 would be a bargain! I will keep an eye out for that one mate, thanks!
Old 25th January 2016, 12:14 AM
Cult Addict

Cut throats nine

A Spanish made western that sees a prison wagon derailed after a failed robbery. Forced to trek with their captor across the snowy wilderness the men soon turn the tables, torturing him and raping his daughter. Things continue to get nastier as the film proceeds and the men realise the missing gold is in their manacles. Pretty soon greed kicks in and the men begin to turn on each other. About as bleak and nihilistic as a western can get, Cut throats nine rivals The great silence for sheer pessimism about the human condition and there is some fairly graphic violence on show as well. It's well paced and never boring, beautifully shot and definitely worth a look. I have the DVD as the blu-ray is difficult to get outside the U.S and does not appear to contain the second feature of the night....

Joshua

Fred williamson plays a union cavalry officer fresh from the war to find his mother has been shot dead. A wandering gang killed her while 'stealing' a mail order bride. Ol' Joshua isn't going to take this lying down and goes on the hunt, racking up a big bodycount in the process.
I have a theory that's probably bullshit but hear me out. I think Samuel L Jackson's character, Major Marquis Warren is an older wearier version of Joshua, perhaps even Joshua himself. He's a mean bastard whatever and comes across almost like a stalk and slash villain in places as he see's the gang off one by one. The ending is actually pretty shocking and shows Joshua to be as mean and pitiless as the men he's hunting while at the same time almost humanising the villain. It really does work as a double with cut throats as well

Deadly hero

Don Murray plays a cop with anger issues and a racist streak a mile long. In the process of attending a robbery he confronts and shoots dead the crook, played by James Earl Jones. The trouble is the crook was giving up and unarmed at the time and when the witness decides to tell the truth Don's 18 year career as a police officer might be over. Getting increasingly desperate the bitter officer begins to get unhinged and ultimately murderous.
Fair play to the film, it was a lot more even handed than I dreaded. I was worried I was about to sit down to another right wing rant about how liberals and hippies ect are declawing the cops, however the film makes no bones about his guilt. Through Murray's performance and the script we learn that he has been stabbed in the line of duty previously and we see enough fear mixed into the performance to read it almost as undiagnosed PTSD. With recent events the film has become more topical but even so its a terrific cop drama with a genuinely great central performance.
Old 25th January 2016, 11:41 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Love (2015, Gaspar Noe)

Easily the best film I've watched so far.... this year anyhoo. Told in Noe's inimitable style, this is either beyond meta....the references abound....or a very bittersweet love letter to France.

HIGH RECOMMEND.

Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015, Genndy Tartatovsky)

yes, as a double bill.
Needing somewhat to unwind after Love, we plumped for this...a hotch potch of family film sequel tropes are paraded, and whilst there is visible creaking...I enjoyed it as the piece of fluff twas.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th January 2016, 04:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Uninvited (2009)

Not a remake of the classic 1944 British film of the same name but actually a reimagining of Jee-woon Kim's Korean 2003 masterpiece A Tale of Two Sisters. A film i consider my favourite Asian ghost story. Indeed my favourite Asian film along with the breathtakingly brilliant 2005 mob thriller A Bittersweet Life.

Now despite me saying it's my favourite Asian horror it's a film i've only seen twice. The last time around 2005 i think. The reason being is i feel with ghost stories familiarity definitely does breed contempt especially when you know whats coming and where the shocks are in a film of this nature. It was with some trepidation that i finally decided to give The Uninvited a go. I'm not a fan of modern ghost stories at the best of times. Today's film makers don't seem to know whats creepy or scary or indeed have any idea about things that go bump in the night unless it's a full orchestra under the bed ready to strike up at any moment as a lazy jump scare. So a remake of a personal fave by modern Hollywood film makers...it was always going to be rubbish.

Except it isn't.

The Uninvited is a rather tasty little chiller. It has a fine cast in Emily Browning, Arielle Kebble and Elizabeth Banks who play their parts well and most importantly don't go overboard with the histrionics and just as importantly it's nicely and subtly directed by Charles and Thomas Guard who seem to have some idea how ghost stories work, as in less is more. In fact at times this feels more of a family drama / psycho horror along the lines of The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, meaning when the ghostliness happens it is often unexpected and therefore works better. The film also worked because i'd forgotten exactly how the original film played out at the end (Ten years is a long time between viewings even with personal favourites) so i was genuinely surprised by the pay off, which certainly worked in the films favour. The tension builds slowly but becomes frenetic around the hour mark and by the end credits i found i'd thoroughly enjoyed this gripping psychological ghost story.

I do think i can recommend The Uninvited ,unlike Insidious and such like. Obviously i'd say go for A Tale of Two Sisters in the first place but if you'd prefer a Hollywood horror then this might be up your street.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uninvited01.jpg (44.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 25th January 2016, 04:59 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Uninvited (2009)
Like you, I love A Tale of Two Sisters, so I've been purposely avoiding this. However, because of your positive review, I've just added it to my Lovefilm rental queue so shall report in due course.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 25th January 2016, 05:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Like you, I love A Tale of Two Sisters, so I've been purposely avoiding this. However, because of your positive review, I've just added it to my Lovefilm rental queue so shall report in due course.
I hope you aren't disappointed Nos.
Old 25th January 2016, 05:12 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I hope you aren't disappointed Nos.
Likewise. However, it has joined a fairly lengthy queue, so I wouldn't hold your breath for my review!
Old 25th January 2016, 06:48 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

The Science of Sleep (La science des rêves) (2006)

67/100
Old 25th January 2016, 06:59 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

EVEREST
Enjoyable rendition of true events from the '90's.
Reminds me of those 70's/'80's disaster movies with an all star cast and looks spectacular.

NO ESCAPE
Prettey tense action/thriller with a somewhat predictable ending.
Pierce Brosnan shows us what Bond would be like had he retired to the far east....

SOLACE
Best serial killer-thriller I've seen for a long time.
Original and exciting,it's like a breath of fresh air.

ENTER THE NINJA
Nice job by Eureka on the transfer minus the cock fighting.
The Go-Go's first foray into the world of ninja has a least one terrible performance.Kosugi's martial arts somewhat make up for it though....

REVENGE OF THE NINJA
Superior to the above in every aspect.
Non stop ninja-nonsense from start to finish.
Superb.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!