Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Slippery Jack 9th June 2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 249086)
Planet of the Vampires (Mario Bava, 1965) It's.....just like..........Prometheus.......:eek:

As much as Quatermass and the Pit ??? (see my previous post) . . .

Hawkmonger 9th June 2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 249101)
As much as Quatermass and the Pit ??? (see my previous post) . . .

-Spoilers-
There's an Alien who's head was severed by a falling door, emaciated body's lying arround, two crew members pop of and are promptly buggered (though one pop's up later, seemingly alright.....).
Even the set designs and costumes are akin to Prometheus. It's almost like Scott was riping Bava.

James Morton 9th June 2012 11:45 AM

carlito's way - so underrated
one of de palma's best

mercury 9th June 2012 11:58 AM

Arthur(Russell Brand)....Thought this was going to be crap since I like the original. Though I found it to be quite good.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th June 2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 249107)
. It's almost like Scott was riping Bava.

Scott's been ripping off Bava his whole career. ;)

Gojirosan 9th June 2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 249133)
Scott's been ripping off Bava his whole career. ;)

Especially that particular film!

wonderlust 9th June 2012 12:34 PM

Slasher ~ 2007 Beautiful!

Crimson Blade 9th June 2012 01:59 PM

Watched a great little film last night called Alice, Sweet Alice.
And despite being an American film, it's very much like an Italian giallo in it's style.
Highly recommended.
And also starring a very young Brooke Shields in her film debut.

The Anchor Bay DVD is adequate, but isn't anamorphically enhanced however.
Maybe a new remastered version from Shameless or Arrow, perhaps?

Frankie Teardrop 9th June 2012 02:08 PM

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE - The remake. Impressively harsh for a mainstream effort, I thought. The post-'Hostel' gore and sadism are up a few notches on the original, but this is somehow a less twisted film than its predecessor - in the aftermath of the rape, Camille Keaton mock-seduced her assailants before offing them, whereas the remake seems to go for a more straightforward payback type dynamic. Pretty gruelling though for a film which I guess must have showed in multiplexes, more so than the pale revamp of LHOTL.

James Morton 9th June 2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 249167)
I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE - The remake. Impressively harsh for a mainstream effort, I thought. The post-'Hostel' gore and sadism are up a few notches on the original, but this is somehow a less twisted film than its predecessor - in the aftermath of the rape, Camille Keaton mock-seduced her assailants before offing them, whereas the remake seems to go for a more straightforward payback type dynamic. Pretty gruelling though for a film which I guess must have showed in multiplexes, more so than the pale revamp of LHOTL.

ISOYG is one of the better remakes
got the uncut R1

Frankie Teardrop 9th June 2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 249171)
ISOYG is one of the better remakes
got the uncut R1

I have the uncut R1, too - can't figure out what was cut, though.

pedromonkey 9th June 2012 02:25 PM

Last few films watched....

BLACK RAIN: Ridley Scott's crime thriller starring Michael Douglas on the hunt for a Yakuza hitman/mob boss with his partner Andy Garcia through the streets of Osaka, Japan. While it's a bit overlong, it's still an engrossing action thriller with a superb performance from Douglas. Scott's visuals are beautiful as he makes the neon lights of Osaka look like the streets of LA in Blade Runner. Quality stuff.

THE HIT LIST: This way above average DTV action thriller starring Cuba Gooding Jr and Cole Hauser does something most DTV movie don't do, include an interesting plot and good performances. This is less action packed than most 'fight factory' releases and Cuba is on great form as the psychotic hitman Jonas. It's like a low budget Collateral and one which i think i'll find more watchable than the Michael Mann film. Check it out.

ALIEN RAIDERS: This low budget sci-fi horror from the Raw Feed Label is actually a well made creature feature about a group of people searching for a King Alien in an arizona supermarket. Some outstanding practical visual FX and a cast of actors from TV shows like Chuck, 24, Prison Break and Six Feet Under make it a choice watch. Seek it out if you can.

THE MUPPETS (2011): I can't remember the last time i cried with laughter at a film that was supposed to be funny. The Muppets is pure awesomeness in a can, very very funny and even though there were some duff musical numbers such as Chris Cooper rapping, the film entertained every bone in my body. A great self mocking script from obvious muppet fan Jason Seagal really helps but it took 54 minutes for Pepe the Prawn to appear. One of the best films i've seen this year, just an absolute joy to watch.

MAN ON A LEDGE
: I had visions of this being utter trash but in actuality, it was a well constructed heist thriller with a good performance from Sam Worthington. The film is a little far fetched but that's what you get with high concept thrillers like this. Ed Harris has fun hamming it up as the villain and it's always great to see William Sadler on screen. Just take it as a popcorn film and you should get quite a bit of enjoyment out of it.

keirarts 9th June 2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Blade (Post 249166)
Watched a great little film last night called Alice, Sweet Alice.
And despite being an American film, it's very much like an Italian giallo in it's style.
Highly recommended.

The Anchor Bay DVD is adequate, but isn't anamorphically enhanced however.
Maybe a new remastered version from Shameless or Arrow, perhaps?

surprisingly the 23rd century vhs rip is actually worth seeking out. Recent versions of the film have been edited/reedited/had soundtrack changes.

Crimson Blade 9th June 2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 249179)
surprisingly the 23rd century vhs rip is actually worth seeking out. Recent versions of the film have been edited/reedited/had soundtrack changes.

Can't say i've ever heard of that one tbh. The only other more recent version i know of is from Hen's Tooth Video, but apparently it's the same transfer as the Anchor Bay one.

VicDakin 9th June 2012 04:30 PM

What films have you seen recently?

What films have you seen recently?[http://comingsoon.net/nextraimages/3...or-less-01.jpg

Gojirosan 9th June 2012 04:41 PM

Tidal Wave/Haeundae - 2009 S Korea d:Yoon Je-kyoon

One can criticise the "goofy" comedy and overly emotive acting (such as irritated so many people who saw The Host) if it's something you cannot take, but there is no denying the skill in the making of this disaster film. Also, the comedy and schmaltz means that the disaster scenes, when they come, hit even harder. The tsunami and aftermath sequences are harrowing! The tidal wave hitting is the nearest a film has come to scaring me for a long, long time. Very disturbing.

An odd but wonderful film. I liked it very much.

Frankie Teardrop 9th June 2012 04:58 PM

THE BLACK PANTHER - Excellent account of the Donald Neilson killings unfolds like an avant-realist Crimewatch reconstruction (in my house, a good thing). Its subordination of narrative to an almost forensic level of documentation and long, chilly silences conjures a profound sense of alienation and detachment - not typical at all of UK cinema at the time. Donald Sumpter seethes with rage as Neilson and turns in a great performance which suggests calculated malice and a weirdly fragile sense of containment and desperation. An atmosphere of barely subdued dread pervades - totally ambient cinema which goes well beyond genre. It's just such a great film, utterly hypnotic - I can't believe it's been buried for all these years, what a crime. But here it is on DVD / BD for a new lease of life - and I unreservedly recommend it, simply a must see.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th June 2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 249175)
Last few films watched....

BLACK RAIN: Ridley Scott's crime thriller starring Michael Douglas on the hunt for a Yakuza hitman/mob boss with his partner Andy Garcia through the streets of Osaka, Japan. While it's a bit overlong, it's still an engrossing action thriller with a superb performance from Douglas. Scott's visuals are beautiful as he makes the neon lights of Osaka look like the streets of LA in Blade Runner. Quality stuff.

My UK dvd of Black Rain has a terrible picture quality. What were Paramount thinking when they released this back in 2000?

keirarts 9th June 2012 05:11 PM

TWIN PEAKS FIRE WALK WITH ME.

After checking out Lost highway yesterday I decided to have a look at the other problem disc in the boxset, FIRE WALK WITH ME.

I dodged the bullet with lost highway. One minor audio dropout aside my copy featured none of the problems reported online. It never froze or skipped once. FWWM had two of the audio glitches others have described, once when laura is doing coke, another when she's in the club dancing, other than that fine.

If universal initiate a product recall i'll probably send it back, but for the time being this will suffice.

For anyone unfamiliar with FWWM, it's a prequel to TWIN PEAKS that follows the last seven days of Laura palmer. On release it was unfairly panned by the critics, most of who were probably expecting more of the 'quirky' humour of the series. Instead David Lynch decided to cut to the heart of twin peaks story and present a tragic tale of incest, sexual abuse and drug addiction. Time has offered the film a critical re-appraisal and now the critics seem to like it, personally though its always been one of my favourites.

The PQ is great, like Lost highway I don't know if its 1080i/p but its the best i've seen the film, unlike the dvd you don't get the subtitles in the club scene which is slightly annoying (to me, i know at least one person who will be releived to hear it) and DNR-phobes will definately appreciate the disc.

Personally i'd wait a month or so and see if theres a product recall before spending money on it though.

pedromonkey 9th June 2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 249206)
My UK dvd of Black Rain has a terrible picture quality. What were Paramount thinking when they released this back in 2000?

yeah i have the Paramount dvd, the transfer is shit, but i like his visuals. It looks like a slightly clear than normal VHS rip, i might just get the blu ray.

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th June 2012 06:13 PM

Weirdest presentation of Black Rain i've ever seen. A pan&scan version show on BBC1 once.....the film was shot super35, so, basically cropped to 2:35 and then pannned&scanned. :eek:

gag 9th June 2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 249122)
carlito's way - so underrated
one of de palma's best

Greta film deffo agree one film cant get tired of watching

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 249126)
Arthur(Russell Brand)....Thought this was going to be crap since I like the original. Though I found it to be quite good.

Cant stand R B totaly detest him not even slightly remotely funny irritating more than anything definatly one person who up his own arse and loves himself did you see him on mtv films awards had to switch off he was grinding me and what on earth did he look like ..

[QUOTE=Crimson Blade;249166]Watched a great little film last night called Alice, Sweet Alice.
Highly recommended.

Yes i think this is deffo a underated and forgotten gem been years since ive seen and you know when you forgot a film and then suddenly someone mentions it if its a film you like you then feel like watching it and i might just do that ..

Pete 9th June 2012 09:15 PM

HOLOCAUST 2000/RAIN OF FIRE - I wasn't expecting much from this OMEN knock-off but I really enjoyed it. Much better than De Martino's previous THE ANTICHRIST. Kirk Douglas put's in a good performance (you even see his penis!) and there are some brief, but nice, gore effects including a head slice by helicopter blade (done a year before DAWN OF THE DEAD).

Shame the Lion's Gate dvd is cropped as it looks really good.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th June 2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 249239)
HOLOCAUST 2000/RAIN OF FIRE - I wasn't expecting much from this OMEN knock-off but I really enjoyed it. Much better than De Martino's previous THE ANTICHRIST. Kirk Douglas put's in a good performance (you even see his penis!) and there are some brief, but nice, gore effects including a head slice by helicopter blade (done a year before DAWN OF THE DEAD).

Shame the Lion's Gate dvd is cropped as it looks really nice.

It really bored me when i watched it on pre cert vhs.

Might have to give it another go after reading this.

Pete 9th June 2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 249241)
It really bored me when i watched it on pre cert vhs.

Might have to give it another go after reading this.

You should. The French DVD is the best edition to get as it's in correct ratio and can be picked up fairly cheap on Amazon France (which I only found out about after I ordered the US edition)

What ending does the pre-cert have?

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th June 2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 249242)
You should. The French DVD is the best edition to get as it's in correct ratio and can be picked up fairly cheap on Amazon France (which I only out about after I ordered the US edition)

What ending does the pre-cert have?

I honestly can't remember, its twenty years ago now. I always get it mixed up with the ultra boring Douglas film The Awakening, which i bought at the same time.

Pete 9th June 2012 09:29 PM

I haven't seen THE AWAKENING. Always avoided it because everyone says it's crap.

Nordicdusk 9th June 2012 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 68278

I love this film.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th June 2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 249250)
I love this film.

Me too. :nod:

wonderlust 10th June 2012 12:25 AM

Slasher~2007, just pure German splatter madness.

Last House on the Beach~1978, pretty tame I'd say. I was hoping for it to have a bit more sleaze and violence.

Kyle 10th June 2012 07:57 AM

Zardoz 8/10
Alien 9/10

Hawkmonger 10th June 2012 08:29 AM

Zardoz? As in the one where Sean Connery wears a man-kini? :pound:

sawyer6 10th June 2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 249289)

A red diaper more likely:tongue1:

grim 10th June 2012 09:29 AM

Just wondering if anyone has watched The Boy Who Could Fly (the extra movie on the forbidden planet SE dvd) with Robby The Robot. The post about The Day The Earth Stood Still reminded me of the flick, which is awesome quite liked the remake aswell.

grim 10th June 2012 09:58 AM

sorry just checked it's The Invisible Boy got confused wit a trashy 80's film because of the ending

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th June 2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 249251)
Me too. :nod:

Me three! I should really give the BD another watch as it's been far too long since I last saw this sci-fi classic. I have a tin poster which, if I remember correctly, instead of saying Klaatu Barada Nikto at the bottom, says Klaatu Nikto Barada, which really irritates!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th June 2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grim (Post 249292)
Just wondering if anyone has watched The Boy Who Could Fly (the extra movie on the forbidden planet SE dvd) with Robby The Robot. The post about The Day The Earth Stood Still reminded me of the flick, which is awesome quite liked the remake aswell.

I've seen The Invisible Boy three or four times and, though it isn't a classic like The Forbidden Planet, it's a fun movie which, if you haven't seen it, you should definitely give it a watch.

Kyle 10th June 2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 249289)

yep thats the one :lol: pure entertainment :rockon:

grim 10th June 2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 249305)
I've seen The Invisible Boy three or four times and, though it isn't a classic like The Forbidden Planet, it's a fun movie which, if you haven't seen it, you should definitely give it a watch.

Yeah, I watched it a few years back after embarrassingly mistaking it for the classic on disc 1 (disks not numbered). I rated it quite highly though but kept thinking aint it in color, then realizing the mistake put in the correct disc. (1st viewing)

Frankie Teardrop 10th June 2012 11:05 AM

ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK - A nostalgic revisit. I like this film more with each passing year. It seems to capture that dystopian early eighties feeling so well, and plays like a hyper stylised mood piece rather than a standard sci-fi actioner. Also great to see two faves of mine, Donald Pleasance and Harry Dean Stanton, sharing the same screen.