Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2016, 11:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Watched this last week really enjoyed i would have no trouble recommending it to people also.
What did you think of the road trip down Mexico way?

It was outstanding cinema in my opinion.
Old 6th February 2016, 11:25 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
What did you think of the road trip down Mexico way?

It was outstanding cinema in my opinion.
It was edge of the seat stuff not knowing what was going to happen heading through the slums anything could come from any of those narrow streets very intense. I especially likes the very start of the film it was a bit chilling but i wont comment any more to avoid spoiling it.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 7th February 2016, 05:37 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Untold Story 2

Nowhere near as good as the first one. Good story, not very well executed and a bit of a wasted opportunity. I enjoyed some of the subtitles though...at one point Anthony Wong's detective breaks away from a conversation needing the toilet with some urgency explaining "I'll talk to you after I have stooled!"
Old 7th February 2016, 08:23 AM
Cult Veteran

So far this weekend, 1 re-watch and 2 new films and 3 episodes of Jessica Jones!

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010)

I get the feeling that I appreciate this film more than most people and tends it to divide opinion. It's a very faithful adaptation of a series of graphic novels which I loved in the first place so I suppose that's why I love it so much!

4.5/5

You Only Live Twice (1967)

Bond is finally getting back on track after the last two outings have been a little underwhelming. I think the Japanese setting probably swayed it for me, although it was rather cringe inducing when Connery underwent some Japanesification which consisted of some special effect eyes and a Spock wig! Nice appearance by Donald Pleasance which was a good surprise!

4/5

She Killed In Ecstasy (1971)

I'd seen 2 Franco moves before this one, Vampyros Lesbos and Dracula so I kind of knew what to expect. Having said that the 'editing' is still a little jarring sometimes and I dont know if that's something I will get used to. However Soledad Miranda and Ewa Strömberg are both beautiful to look at plus the filming and music soundtrack are breathtaking. The Story is slim but entertaining over all.

3/5 (I'd love to score this higher but it's not better than a 3!)

And then Jessica Jones (2015)

I've only watched 3 episodes, and it's not a film so I wont go into detail. I'm not a superhero fan and most Marvel things drive me potty, but this is firmly based in the real world. My friends have watched the entire series and got hooked right away, I can understand since I spent 3 hrs watching it yesterday afternoon.
If you have a Netflix account, do yourself a favour and start watching this show.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 7th February 2016, 09:25 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Le Silence de la Mer (1949)

In a small town in occupied France in 1941, the German officer, Werner Von Ebrennac (played by Franco stalwart Howard Vernon) is billeted in the house of the uncle and his niece. The uncle and niece refuse to speak to him, but each evening the officer warms himself by the fire and talks of his country, his music, and his idealistic views of the relationship between France and Germany. That is, until he visits Paris and discovers what is really going on...

A film that screams 'anti-war' from every pore, La Silence de la Mer is an extremely moving yet at the same time sobering film. Not something I can see myself popping in the player for a re-watch anytime soon but certainly one of those films I'd recommend watching at least once.

71/100
Old 7th February 2016, 10:20 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched The Hateful Eight on Thursday night and having not been particurlalrly impressed by recent efforts such as Inglorious Bastards or the very self-indulgent Django Unchained (which I got bored with in the first hour) I have to say I was quite blown away by this.

Some of the most beautiful visual scenes I have seen for a while, his signature violence, great acting by a dependable cast of very good actors and a very clever narrative (with it's clear parallels to current political issues in America) all combine to give the director's masterpiece, Reservoir Dog's, a very close run for it's money. While it does have it's moments of Tarantino self-indulgence it never affects the pace of the film, I was drawn into it throughout, with it twists and turns reminding of the best giallo's.

9/10

Watched Special Effects (1984) last night and I was less impressed with this one. Shame, as I thought this would finally be a Cohen film I really enjoyed.

5/10.

Last edited by Buboven; 7th February 2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 7th February 2016, 01:50 PM
Cult Addict

Long day yesterday, up at 4am so knackered by the evening. This is usually the point that I dig out the direct to DVD stuff....

Kingdom come

A group of people wake up in an abandoned mental asylum with amnesia. Trying to find their way out they realise they are being hunted by something, also it appears that each of them might be there for a reason.
Essentially anyone with a working knowledge of horror films will know exactly where this is going, however the journey is reasonably entertaining and quite dark in places. It gets silly occasionally but overall reasonably shot, middle of the road horror that will probably end up in poundland by October.

House of death

Billed as a cross between Frankenstein and Re-animator, this one attempts to deliver something classier. However this is the sort of film where the idea of smart is revealing the never before fact that La petite morte means the little death. Well, its fairly predictable and like the previous film its pretty clear where things are headed. Unlike the first it suffers from some pacing problems as well. That said it has some nice moments in it and it scores brownie points for trying to deliver something a little different. Again, will probably end up in poundland in October.

The Firstling

Sporting a more prominent cast than the others this one is a supernatural mystery where the ghost of a dead woman reveals to a pregnant woman that her husband might be harbouring a dark secret. Not a terrible film by any means its once again a little predictable and people after a gore fest may be a little disappointed but overall its pretty decent.

I might have rated these lower if I hadn't paid a quid each on them
Old 7th February 2016, 02:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post

Kingdom come

A group of people wake up in an abandoned mental asylum with amnesia. Trying to find their way out they realise they are being hunted by something, also it appears that each of them might be there for a reason.
Essentially anyone with a working knowledge of horror films will know exactly where this is going, however the journey is reasonably entertaining and quite dark in places. It gets silly occasionally but overall reasonably shot, middle of the road horror that will probably end up in poundland by October.
I picked this up before Christmas and am yet to watch it so i'm pleased you didn't hate it.
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th February 2016, 03:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Killer Mermaids (2014)

Four friends on holiday in the Mediterranean discover a small island not found on any maps. An island fort derelict since the German occupation in the Second World War, an island with a terrible secret, an island they should never have visited.*

Killer Mermaids, also known as Nymph or Mamula (The name of the fort) is my first encounter with the Montenegrin film industry and on the whole i quite liked it.

Mermaid horror films aren't ten a penny and the results are usually mixed. I've watched and enjoyed several times the Gothic horror She Creature starring Rufus Sewell and Carla Gugino, and it remains the best of the genre in my opinion. The only other one i can think of is Siren. A decidedly poor though nicely shot Greek mythology film. Unfortunately the girl who played the Siren was rather underwhelming in the beauty stakes and that's being kind. There are no such worries about Zorana Kostic Obradovic, the underwater nymph in this film. She's gorgeous.

The film is beautifully shot, with soaring camera work capturing the stunning Mediterranean / Montenegro coast line quite wonderfully, there is also a fair bit of underwater filming which is also done very nicely. Shot totally on location, clearly this film had a budget and from the closing credits a fair amount of sponsors and backers to get the movie off the ground.

Following a promising opening the film meanders a fair bit as we watch the four friends party, eat, laugh, argue and just generally holiday together as you do. It doesn't help that the characters are rather uninteresting either. It's only when they arrive at the abandoned fort that the real mystery begins and only the final half hour that we actually remember we are watching a horror movie. There are some nice gory kills all practical effects thankfully and the mermaid creature is a lovely creation, as horrible in it's true manifestation as it's siren form is beautiful. Please note i said creature as in one, not creatures as the UK title Killer Mermaids seems to suggest.

For me the real star of the show is the great Franco Nero. He only has a small role in the first hour (Think the fisherman's tale at the beginning of The Fog) and i was thinking that was that until the friends spot a photo of him inside the fort. Nero features throughout the final third and i won't spoil the hows and why's of his role.

Needless to say this final half hour of Killer Mermaids is excellent. I really enjoyed it and it sets up a possible sequel beautifully. Hopefully titled Django vs The Killer Mermaids. Note the full possible title and also plural mermaids here and you'll be slightly spoilered as to the ending.

I enjoyed Killer Mermaids but you probably won't.

*(I like this. I think i should write bollocks for the back of dvd sleeves )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg killer-mermaid-5.jpg (97.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 7th February 2016, 08:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default What Films Have You Seen Recently?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454878980.968776.jpg

A writer goes to the house in which he was raised and has inherited from his aunt, to work on his new novel and try to forget the death of his young son and his divorce. It's not long before strange thing begin to happen in the house and the authors life is in danger from the evil within. 7/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454879342.822067.jpg

it's not really a horror film but more of a adventure / fantasy film but the likeable characters make it watchable. Basic story is about a magical crystal skull and the problems that it causes, will not win n any awards but sill a better crystal skull movie than the Indiana Jones one. 6/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454879620.645986.jpg

Excellent, basically the Dracula story set in the 1970s. Great acting especially from Robert Quarry as the count. Not that gory or scary but has a great atmosphere and one particularly creepy moment involving a very unfortunate kitten. I found it superior to the Dracula films that hammer were producing at the time, especially the two "modern" ones 8.5/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454879958.719846.jpg

While not quite as good as the first it's still very enjoyable thanks largely to Robert Quarry who gives another excellent performance as the count. A lot of the cast from the original return ( naturally taking different roles). 7.5/10

Next up

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454880393.008270.jpg

Long time since I've watched any of the house movies but I always thought the the horror show title suited this film better than house 3

Last edited by trebor8273; 7th February 2016 at 08:53 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!