Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Hawkmonger 14th June 2012 06:32 PM

The Shawshank Redemption- This is a queer experience. Watching arguably the most populare film of all time for the first time and wondering what all the fuss is about. Lavish with excelent performances from Freeman and co. but it just didn't live up to the tidle wave of hype. A very heart warming movie yes but certainly no more so than others. A solid A as it was very good.

pedromonkey 14th June 2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 250254)
The Shawshank Redemption- This is a queer experience. Watching arguably the most populare film of all time for the first time and wondering what all the fuss is about. Lavish with excelent performances from Freeman and co. but it just didn't live up to the tidle wave of hype. A very heart warming movie yes but certainly no more so than others. A solid A as it was very good.

Shawshank is the kind of film that grows on people, the more you watch it the more you'll find. It failed upon release but is now a modern classic because of it's rewatchablity.

Gojirosan 14th June 2012 09:13 PM

Mother's Day - 2010 US d: Darren Lynn Bousman

Nearly, but no. Though not a remake (good move) this new Mother's Day isn't anything new either. It's just another home invasion flick full of home invasion clichés and stock home invasion characters. Pretty much, the whole production is "efficient" - efficiently shot, efficiently acted, efficiently managed all around. There is just no spark. It's just a dreary Hollywood attempt to cover ground handled so much better by many other films. This is not Funny Games, this is not Ils, this is not Cold Eyes Of Fear, The Desperate Hours, Death Weekend, In Cold Blood, Fight For Your Life or Lady In A Cage. Hell, I don't even think this is The Strangers or The House On The Edge Of The Park!

It's derivative, a bit tedious and a slog to get through. I can't recommend it, but I don't think I can fully dismiss it either. If nothing else, it features the astoundingly beautiful Deborah Ann Woll!

PaulD 14th June 2012 11:41 PM

Watched The Return of the Living Dead bluray this afternoon. I don't' get the masses of love bestowed upon this film. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike it, I just find it hard to get really excited about and suspect everyone else gets a lot more out of it than I do(I think I find horror-comedy a bit hard to swallow as a genre). Nice-looking bluray though and still looking forward to the extras

Frankie Teardrop 15th June 2012 02:06 AM

THE DIVIDE - From the director of 'Frontiers'. Citizens hole up in a cellar following a nuclear strike on NY... their group dynamic disintegrates and lets in savagery. Pretty good and never boring despite its constrained environs. I thought the more obvious moments were eclipsed by some real intensity, particularly in its latter half. Even so, I was pissed off by the apparent ease of some of the character's respective descents into degenration, in particular Rosanna Arquette, who I felt should've been doing something less passive. But yeah, overall, good.
THE EXTERMINATOR - NY grimfest sees vigilante off some bad guys. Despite the cardboard set up, has interestingly ambiguous politics (waves the reactionary vigilante flag, but shows eveyone undone by The Man in the end). Pretty hard hitting though, and bleaker and nastier than I remembered it. Not really up there at the very pinnacle of New York exploitation - it's no Ms 45 - but packs an early eighties punch and leaves a harsh aftertaste. Entertains in that somehow smeared kind of way.

Demoncrat 15th June 2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 250292)
Shawshank is the kind of film that grows on people, the more you watch it the more you'll find. It failed upon release but is now a modern classic because of it's rewatchablity.

Not everyone loves this film....i've always thought that people who don't watch a lot of films think it's the greatest film ever because theyve never seen Nostalgia or Stalker or Lemora;)

PaulD 15th June 2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 250433)
Not everyone loves this film....i've always thought that people who don't watch a lot of films think it's the greatest film ever because theyve never seen Nostalgia or Stalker or Lemora;)

True. I think it's just okay. I don't wish to be picky but the fact that it's big twist/ending isn't fully thought out properly and doesn't make sense really does spoil it for me

Slippery Jack 15th June 2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 250433)
Lemora;)

Lemora eh, dunno that one. Hmm, £9.44 on Planet Axel with the free shipping...?

OK, ordered . . .

Gojirosan 15th June 2012 11:46 AM

Lemora is boss.

keirarts 15th June 2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 250466)
Lemora eh, dunno that one. Hmm, £9.44 on Planet Axel with the free shipping...?

OK, ordered . . .

One of my favourite vampire films.... I love lemora.

SharonLynette 15th June 2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 250396)
Watched The Return of the Living Dead bluray this afternoon. I don't' get the masses of love bestowed upon this film. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike it, I just find it hard to get really excited about and suspect everyone else gets a lot more out of it than I do(I think I find horror-comedy a bit hard to swallow as a genre). Nice-looking bluray though and still looking forward to the extras

I really like this film but I love the soundtrack it is amazing, I have it somewhere on vinyl.

PaulD 15th June 2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 250571)
I really like this film but I love the soundtrack it is amazing, I have it somewhere on vinyl.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of The Cramps so it's good to hear "Surfin' Dead" on there

SharonLynette 15th June 2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 250573)

Yeah, love The Cramps (was lucky enough to see them a few years back in Nottingham, before Lux Interior died) it is just a well rounded soundtrack.

Gojirosan 15th June 2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I'm a big fan of The Cramps

Good man! I thought you seemed a decent, sensible sort of chap! :D

bdc 15th June 2012 08:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Another Cramps fan here! ;)

Recent viewings

Frankie Teardrop 15th June 2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

You got gooood taste (for a gucci bag carrier)

SharonLynette 15th June 2012 08:19 PM

Almost forgot about it but last film marathon one of the films I watched was "Clockwork Terror" bloomin' amazing film.

Frankie Teardrop 15th June 2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 250657)
Almost forgot about it but last film marathon one of the films I watched was "Clockwork Terror" bloomin' amazing film.

Is that AKA 'Murder in a Blue World'? I like the way they felt they could throw a few 'Clockwork Orange' and giallo references around until a movie magically appeared... nice trash though, and I seem to remember the ending as being incongruously disturbing. Maybe you know 'The Cannibal Man' by the same director, which is really bleak and feels perhaps a bit more personal.

SharonLynette 15th June 2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 250665)
Is that AKA 'Murder in a Blue World'? I like the way they felt they could throw a few 'Clockwork Orange' and giallo references around until a movie magically appeared... nice trash though, and I seem to remember the ending as being incongruously disturbing. Maybe you know 'The Cannibal Man' by the same director, which is really bleak and feels perhaps a bit more personal.

That's the one, I actually thought it was a decent film, but my taste is questionable! Will have to check out The Cannibal Man I don't think I've seen it, at least not recently.

damek 15th June 2012 09:31 PM

Cannibal man is a cool movie. :rockon:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th June 2012 09:32 PM

Hmmm... I may have to give Cannibal Man a rewatch, as I didn't think too much of it first time around.

PaulD 15th June 2012 10:23 PM

Just watched Final Destination 5, a film franchise which, ironically and against all odds, seems to have cheated death at every possible turn. I'm sure the script for this was identical to the previous film but with 'speedway track' changed to 'bridge accident' using Microsoft Word's 'find and replace' feature. It's absolutely, utter rubbish but really silly, enjoyable utter rubbish. The twist at the end is kind of neat although it would have been nice if there'd been something during the film to perhaps hint at that

It also boasts arguably the most ridiculous music video tie-in for a film ever:

NEW ROMANCE - Miles Fisher - YouTube

SharonLynette 15th June 2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 250701)
Just watched Final Destination 5, a film franchise which, ironically and against all odds, seems to have cheated death at every possible turn. I'm sure the script for this was identical to the previous film but with 'speedway track' changed to 'bridge accident' using Microsoft Word's 'find and replace' feature. It's absolutely, utter rubbish but really silly, enjoyable utter rubbish. The twist at the end is kind of neat although it would have been nice if there'd been something during the film to perhaps hint at that

It also boasts arguably the most ridiculous music video tie-in for a film ever:

NEW ROMANCE - Miles Fisher - YouTube

I have a love hate relationship with those films, I think they have steadily gone downhill and they creep me out but I almost can't be bothered any more. They make me feel on edge.

Without watching that video at first I thought it was that old TV show "Spatz", possibly wishful thinking.

PaulD 15th June 2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 250702)
I have a love hate relationship with those films, I think they have steadily gone downhill and they creep me out but I almost can't be bothered any more. They make me feel on edge.

Without watching that video at first I thought it was that old TV show "Spatz", possibly wishful thinking.

Oh god, I remember Spatz!

I always find it odd that no-one ever really mentions how much of a rip-off of a small section of The Omen the Final Destination films are.

Gojirosan 16th June 2012 12:03 AM

Kill List - 2011 K d: Ben Wheatley

Crikey!

When I first put this on last night I was concerned by the Ken Loach type Realist approach, which -more often then not - I find a very off-putting style of film-making. However, Shane Meadows had successfully used that style to give us a harrowing horror drama in Dead Men's Shoes, so I vowed to watch it all tonight (my BD player was acting up and it was late, so I didn't see it through last night). Which I did.

It's a superb film, but it did take its time to win me over. By the end though, I knew I had seen something special. At times Bergmanesque in its portrayal of interpersonal relationships, it really does depict character with a depth and skill rare in modern film-making. It fascinates and intrigues and is a pretty damned harrowing ride to go on.

I was made to think of some kind of bizarre hybrid of A Serbian Film and The Wicker Man.

Top stuff.

Frankie Teardrop 16th June 2012 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 250706)
Kill List - 2011 K d: Ben Wheatley

Crikey!

When I first put this on last night I was concerned by the Ken Loach type Realist approach, which -more often then not - I find a very off-putting style of film-making. However, Shane Meadows had successfully used that style to give us a harrowing horror drama in Dead Men's Shoes, so I vowed to watch it all tonight (my BD player was acting up and it was late, so I didn't see it through last night). Which I did.

It's a superb film, but it did take its time to win me over. By the end though, I knew I had seen something special. At times Bergmanesque in its portrayal of interpersonal relationships, it really does depict character with a depth and skill rare in modern film-making. It fascinates and intrigues and is a pretty damned harrowing ride to go on.

I was made to think of some kind of bizarre hybrid of A Serbian Film and The Wicker Man.

Top stuff.

Have you seen 'Down Terrace' by the same guy? It's very good.

Demoncrat 16th June 2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 250457)
True. I think it's just okay. I don't wish to be picky but the fact that it's big twist/ending isn't fully thought out properly and doesn't make sense really does spoil it for me

Indeed, i have NO problem with the original story funnily enough.....but as prison films go, it's no Silent Scream;)

Susan Foreman 16th June 2012 10:38 AM

'Bridesmaids' - 'Sex and the City', but with a different cast!

Chick flick, but maybe I should be wearing more pink!!!

SharonLynette 16th June 2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 250758)
'Bridesmaids' - 'Sex and the City', but with a different cast!

Chick flick, but maybe I should be wearing more pink!!!

ha I was just thinking I don't list all the "uncool" stuff I'm watching - mainly because I watch a lot of stuff from my computer but the special stuff, the horror film marathons get my full attention.....will be watching Bridesmaids tonight - sky premiere or just a coincidence? I just like Wendi McLendon-Covey, mainly because of Reno 911!

SharonLynette 16th June 2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 250784)
ha I was just thinking I don't list all the "uncool" stuff I'm watching - mainly because I watch a lot of stuff from my computer but the special stuff, the horror film marathons get my full attention.....will be watching Bridesmaids tonight - sky premiere or just a coincidence? I just like Wendi McLendon-Covey, mainly because of Reno 911!

and I keep forgetting it's Paul Feig, loved Freak & Geeks, loved his books.

Gojirosan 16th June 2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 250786)
and I keep forgetting it's Paul Feig, loved Freak & Geeks, loved his books.

I adored Freaks & Geeks - a brilliant TV series.

I was completely disappointed by Bridesmaids. I like this kind of film done well - my adherence to US teen flicks is a testament to such - but sadly Bridesmaids was more The Hangover than Mean Girls. Crass, unfunny and crassly unfunny with only a great performance from Melissa McCarthy of any interest. I was so disappointed and annoyed.

Gojirosan 16th June 2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 250712)
Have you seen 'Down Terrace' by the same guy? It's very good.

No - cheers for the heads up!

mercury 16th June 2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 250799)
I adored Freaks & Geeks - a brilliant TV series.

I was completely disappointed by Bridesmaids. I like this kind of film done well - my adherence to US teen flicks is a testament to such - but sadly Bridesmaids was more The Hangover than Mean Girls. Crass, unfunny and crassly unfunny with only a great performance from Melissa McCarthy of any interest. I was so disappointed and annoyed.

Watched Bridesmaids and I agree. Watching the trailer this film looks funny and great. The Marketing guy is a genius:nod: I too agree this was like the Hangover with women. This then sparks the argument: are men just funnier than women?;)

damek 16th June 2012 02:50 PM

No offence, but this is getting quite http://i.imgur.com/X2xPA.gif

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th June 2012 02:54 PM

I saw the 2010 remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street last night.

I have no love at all for the original series of films and have never owned the dvd, but i have seen them all. However this remake i thought to be pretty good, in fact very enjoyable.

It was fast moving, introduced Freddy quickly and wasn't afraid to show him. Its probably my lack of interest in the originals that made me enjoy this. Jackie Earle Hayley sported a more realistic burn make up rather than a dried up pizza and dispensed with the unfunny one liners which annoyed me so much about Robert Englund in the role.

Rooney Mara was very good as Nancy, i despised Heather Langenkamp in the original film, so all in all the elements the film is probably harshly criticised for are the things i think improve the film.

Recommended for those who think the originals are a load of tosh. ;) :)

damek 16th June 2012 02:56 PM

I didn't like it to be honest, and am not a fan of the original. :happy:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 16th June 2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 250832)
I saw the 2010 remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street last night.

I have no love at all for the original series of films and have never owned the dvd, but i have seen them all. However this remake i thought to be pretty good, in fact very enjoyable.

It was fast moving, introduced Freddy quickly and wasn't afraid to show him. Its probably my lack of interest in the originals that made me enjoy this. Jackie Earle Hayley sported a more realistic burn make up rather than a dried up pizza and dispensed with the unfunny one liners which annoyed me so much about Robert Englund in the role.

Rooney Mara was very good as Nancy, i despised Heather Langenkamp in the original film, so all in all the elements the film is probably harshly criticised for are the things i think improve the film.

Recommended for those who think the originals are a load of tosh. ;) :)

Interesting analysis, Dem - and to a large extent I agree with you.

I, too thought Jackie made a decent Freddie and Rooney a decent Nancy (I can't stand Langenkamp either, and Englund's one-liners were indeed one of the major failings of the original films).

However, the remake just didn't work for me. Mainly because the terrible CGI effects completely destroyed any sense of atmosphere or terror that the film tried to create. Add to this the bland script and poor supporting cast and the remake was just (yet another) missed opportunity, for me.

Gojirosan 16th June 2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 250832)
i despised Heather Langenkamp in the original film

I had troubling getting my head around this.:lol:

Gojirosan 16th June 2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damek (Post 250830)
No offence, but this is getting quite http://i.imgur.com/X2xPA.gif

I cannot believe that emoticon even exists! :eek:

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th June 2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 250838)
Interesting analysis, Dem - and to a large extent I agree with you.

I, too thought Jackie made a decent Freddie and Rooney a decent Nancy (I can't stand Langenkamp either, and Englund's one-liners were indeed one of the major failings of the original films).

However, the remake just didn't work for me. Mainly because the terrible CGI effects completely destroyed any sense of atmosphere or terror that the film tried to create. Add to this the bland script and poor supporting cast and the remake was just (yet another) missed opportunity, for me.

From what i could remember the script was the same as the original, and the crap supporting characters are only there to die anyway.

I was never bothered by the sfx.

My thoughts may be flawed as i'd just watched series one of Californication before it and didn't start viewing it till 5 am.