Like Tree179414Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th March 2016, 11:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Thats one of the great things about films though, differing opinions on the same thing. Of those few you mentioned, Seven is in a different league to Fallen, whereas Kiss the Girls and Copycat aren't a patch on it.
But that's just my opinion.
Actually never seen Primal Fear or 8mm.
I'm going off ancient memory here as i haven't bothered with either of those since the cinema.
keirarts and J Harker like this.
Old 25th March 2016, 12:02 AM
Cult Addict

Rec.
Gave this a go earlier this evening.
Firemen responding to a seemingly innocuous call involving an elderly lady trapped in her apartment find themes in for a nasty shock when the old dear turns out to be infected with some sort of 28 Days Later style crazy virus. Before you can say 'Danny Boyle' authorities seal the building off from the outside world trapping the firemen and the remaining residents inside. Fortunately for us the fire department are the subject of a police camera action type tv show called While You're Sleeping, and the shows presenter and more importantly cameraman are now trapped in the building too.
Given the relativity short running time of 75 minutes i found this Spanish found footage jobby dragged, only the brilliant last 15 minutes really grabbed me. Worth a watch and probably a rewatch just for the ending.
Old 25th March 2016, 12:10 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

After that brief interlude. Now back to Love Goddess of the Cannibals.

Enjoy your Easter folks.
Old 25th March 2016, 07:11 AM
Cult Master

Sequels and diminishing returns

Having time on my hands, and wanting to catch up on some sleep, I decided to do some films that I bought, knowing that I probably wouldn't enjoy them. This way, I can tick them off my 'to watch' pile, and also get some shut eye

I started with the Shameless box set of 'The Bronx Warriors Trilogy':

'The Bronx Warriors' (1982) is a thoroughly entertaining film about gangs in the Bronx in 1990. I thought it owed a lot to Walter Hills 'The Warriors' and also John Carpenter's 'Escape From New York'. I enjoyed it, although I wasn't expecting to

Oh well, onto the first sequel. I must be able to get some sleep now. 'The New Barbarians' (1983) owes a lot to 'Mad Max'. It was fun, but not as good as the first one

So, the second sequel must be the one that sends me into the arms of Morpheus. 'Escape From The Bronx' (1983) is another enjoyably trashy film.

All three of them were better than I expected

So, still needing my afternoon nap, I decided to have a go at the 88 Films 'Killjoy Collection'

The first film, 'Killjoy' (2000) is 70 minutes about a ciller klown. It's bottom of the barrel, but it kept my interest

This is followed by 'Killjoy 2: Deliverance From Evil' (2002), which is an awful movie. With a run time just shy of 80 minutes, it seems to be around the 75 minute mark before Killjoy actually shows up! It is not a good film. Oh, in the original, the eponymous villain was played by Angel Vargas, now he is played by Trent Haaga (who went on to write 'Deadgirl' and 'Toxic Avenger 4' amongst other movies). 'Killjoy 2' is a very poor film

After a break of 8 years, 'Killjoy 3' was released (2010), and after the hideous movie that was part 2, I wasn't expecting very much...but time is a great healer, and this was a very good film. Killjoy is back with some new chums (Punchy, Freakshow and Batty Boop [who must save a fortune on washing powder, because she is naked throughout the film, just wearing body paint]). This film features college students being dragged thru a mystic mirror onto another dimension - a not particularly novel idea admittedly, but an agreeable timewaster

Killjoy returned in 'Killjoy Goes To Hell' (2012), where he is on trial in Hell for failing to be scary. Again, it is a surprisingly good film

So, 7 films to tick off from my list, and I never did get the sleep I needed!

*Note - At time of writing, it seems that there is another 'Killjoy' film in the pipeline. 'Killjoy's Psycho Circus' is listed as being "in post-production" at IMDB

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 25th March 2016, 09:25 AM
Cult Addict

The Man From Uncle.

Guy Ritchies update of the sixties spy show. Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer star as secret agents working on opposite sides of the Iron Curtain, Cavill as American spy Napoleon Solo a retired art thief recruited by the CIA to better make use of his exceptional skills. Hammer is Illya Kuryakin a KGB agent possessed of almost superhuman abilities when the plot suits.
Something to do with a nuclear scientist and some nefarious Euro-villains means these two are partnered up to fight for the greater good. Thats about as much as i got from the plot if you can call it a plot. The film is too preoccupied with trying to be cool and stylish and funny to really present the storyline very well at all. Armie Hammer attributes himself well to Illya even if the accent slips now and then, Cavill on the other hand looks bored.
Where the film should shine it falls flat with big action sequences presented in comic panel interludes so Guy Ritchie can spend another 10 minutes playing old Italian opera music while another attempt at cool falls flat on its arse. All in all maybe worth a watch but i won't be wasting another 2 hours on it. Glad i borrowed rather than bought.
Old 25th March 2016, 11:21 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The Man From Uncle.

Guy Ritchies update of the sixties spy show. Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer star as secret agents working on opposite sides of the Iron Curtain, Cavill as American spy Napoleon Solo a retired art thief recruited by the CIA to better make use of his exceptional skills. Hammer is Illya Kuryakin a KGB agent possessed of almost superhuman abilities when the plot suits.
Something to do with a nuclear scientist and some nefarious Euro-villains means these two are partnered up to fight for the greater good. Thats about as much as i got from the plot if you can call it a plot. The film is too preoccupied with trying to be cool and stylish and funny to really present the storyline very well at all. Armie Hammer attributes himself well to Illya even if the accent slips now and then, Cavill on the other hand looks bored.
Where the film should shine it falls flat with big action sequences presented in comic panel interludes so Guy Ritchie can spend another 10 minutes playing old Italian opera music while another attempt at cool falls flat on its arse. All in all maybe worth a watch but i won't be wasting another 2 hours on it. Glad i borrowed rather than bought.
I got this earlier in the week and aim to watch it this weekend. Things don't look promising.
Old 25th March 2016, 11:40 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I got this earlier in the week and aim to watch it this weekend. Things don't look promising.
It's nonsense but, if you go in with the right mindset, it's probably enjoyable nonsense.
Old 25th March 2016, 11:47 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Papaya: Love Goddess of the Cannibals (1978)

Joe D'Amato's dreary cannibal flick without any cannibals. Other than having it as a vehicle for Sirpa Lane, Melissa Chimenti and Maurice Poli to act out numerous soft core interminably dull sex scenes there really was no point to this film.

In fairness it's original Italian title Papaya the Caribbean, has no reference to cannibals whatsoever, it was just unscrupulous film distributors out to make a quick buck on the back of the cannibal schlock fest of the late seventies.

Going off the thanks to the Dominican Republic govt slate at the end it seems clear that D'Amato got clearance to film before he had a story. There's so much wandering about the island either on foot or in jeeps....oh why bother?

This was just boring and made 1980's Orgasmo nero seem exciting in comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Papaya_love_goddess_of_the_cannibals.jpeg (26.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 25th March 2016, 01:54 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Did it have a slipcase?
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 25th March 2016, 02:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Did it have a slipcase?
No.

Like this? Share it using the links below!