Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179457Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th February 2010, 09:57 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Just finished watching The Pursuit of Happiness. Very touching film. Will Smith was great, so believable with his pain. I guess it helped that his real life son played his son, he could really get to the root of the characters emotions. Picked it up for £3 in Asda so couldn't go wrong really, worth every penny.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 8th February 2010, 09:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Just seen Underworld Rise of the Lycans.

Was a good movie, but I prefer the first 2. Missed Kate Beckinsale
Underworld series is the only movie with warewolves I enjoy, as they normally bore me.
Apart from Howling and American Warewolf in London.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 8th February 2010, 10:24 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Revisited the uncut Erotic Nights Of The Living Dead to see if it gets better with age. It doesn't.
Old 8th February 2010, 11:22 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak View Post
Nice exploding stomach (if memory serves) though.
Would you be thinking of poor William Berger's exploding pacemaker? Genius!
Old 9th February 2010, 01:46 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Would you be thinking of poor William Berger's exploding pacemaker? Genius!
That's it yes.
Stone me, the old memory's in bad shape.
At an airport or something.

Well at least I remember the lingerie bathing scene. The day my recollection for such things goes too I'm jumping off a bridge.
Old 9th February 2010, 10:10 AM
Ex-member

"Boy Eats Girl"

Short and very slight horror comedy from Ireland that does perhaps skip along too fast as far as any real, even obvious, dramatic scenes go as they simply don't exist.

For example...in a 75 minute film the main character (a teenager who is brought back to life by his Mum) is a zombie 18 minutes in...BUT the scene that contains his mother finding him dead, grieving, deciding what to do and then doing it is a 5 second quick cut montage!

I kid you not. Imagine that huge part of the plot of "Pet Semetary" with Gage dying, the grieving and the choice of reanimating him happening in just 5 seconds flat with no dialogue!
As such there is a perhaps unintentionally funny aspect to this part of the film simply because such massive events are brushed so outstandingly skipped over.
There's also a 'hold on..what about all the rest of the zombies around the town who were not in that finale' plot hole at the end.

Now this sounds like a negative write-up...but it's not!
As despite these faults (or quirks) the film is actually very enjoyable, well made, often very funny (with two very likeable and well played dweeb friends of the lead character) and has one of the most undervalued (indeed totally forgotten) gore sequences in horrordom!

When the cute Samantha Mumba (one time pop singer and her of "The Time Machine" remake) climbs into a tractor equipped with a huge grass cutter we can only hope good things happen as she trundles towards the zombie horde (or as horde-ish as the budget allows)...and we are not disappointed.

Forget the weak CGI-combine harvester sequence that was much touted around the web in the awful "Evil Aliens"...This (though smaller scale) sequence with the tractor is the zombie slaughter splatterfest we should be familiar with!

With gleeful abandon buckets of blood and loads of body parts fly around and get stuck, flopping, everywhere. Which is fun enough.
But a couple of moments showing some very well made full zombie bodies (with NO CGI rubbish anywhere) being literally mulched and exploded in full view of the audience as the blades hit them (as well as some great legless/ headless, aftermath corpses stumbling around), as well as a top notch squashed head, mean this sequence truly delivers the gorehound funstuffs.
It lifts the entire, already enjoyable, film to another level.

"Boy eats Girl" may be simple, slight with some less than successful screenplay choices (and the strangest 'zombie cure' ever seen), but it's also funny, fast paced, gory, well acted, well crafted and extremely enjoyable.
A sadly forgotten Irish pot o' gold.
Old 9th February 2010, 10:31 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Since the BBFC have examined the film twice it's clear the scene perhaps surprisingly does not in anyway breach the child protection act otherwise it would have been cut. I'll recall the DVD to have a look.

I can't see the scene in Duckling having any problems as the woman and the child are only fleetingly seen together. The BBFC will be looking for shots where the child and the adult are clearly in the same shot eg Private Lessons.

as stated the children and Emanuelle Beart are not just in the same shot their is clear contact between the childrens hands and her naked breasts.Now I AM COMPLETELY BAFFLED as to how this can not breach the OPA. Unless as they are supposed to be covering her in mud the BBFC hacve decided their is no sexual element in it.
Old 9th February 2010, 10:36 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

There's a similar debate about this scene over at the IMDB.
Old 9th February 2010, 11:45 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
..Underworld Rise of the Lycans.
Was a good movie...
It began well, but went downhill fast after they killed off the heroine.
Another fairly-good werewolf movie with Rhona Mitra is Skinwalkers.
Old 9th February 2010, 12:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex s View Post
as stated the children and Emanuelle Beart are not just in the same shot their is clear contact between the childrens hands and her naked breasts.Now I AM COMPLETELY BAFFLED as to how this can not breach the OPA. Unless as they are supposed to be covering her in mud the BBFC hacve decided their is no sexual element in it.
I'll have a look at the scene and see if it's worth asking the BBFC. Where a scene appears to be in breach of obscenity laws the BBFC will always take legal advice. The fact that they viewed the film twice and passed it means that it was given the all clear.

Like this? Share it using the links below!