Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179409Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th April 2016, 05:50 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The House in the Woods (1957)

A couple decide enough's enough when their neighbours in the appartment oposite seem to hold a perpetual party so they decide to look for somewhere more secluded. By chance they find a lovely cottage out in the wilds owned by a widowed artist who wishes to sell the place. Upon meeting the artist the three get on so well he invites them to stay whilst the sale goes through telling them he'll be gone in a few days anyway. Shortly after moving in the couple discover all is not quite as it seems.

More a melodrama than out and out thriller, The House in the Woods is a charming little B-picture that's short and rather sweet. Running at a mere 59 minutes, the film, clearly designed as an opener for a main picture when it hit cinemas has potential to be a decent episode of 70's ITV series Thriller. It's principal cast of Michael Gough, Patricia Roc and Ronald Howard as the artist, do well with a script that's short on action but remains quite gripping once Gough and Roc decide Howard is up to no good.

As for the house of the title. Well it's not really what you might think. Instead of a dark brooding mansion of madness we have a lovely quaint English cottage, and the woods? Well there are some and they hide a macabre secret but the film isn't the Gothic extravaganza you might be hoping for.

All in all The House in the Woods is an edgy, slightly sinister film and i'm pleased to have such an obscurity in my collection of British films.

The Network dvd has print damage on occasions despite it being a new master. The print itself is fine but the cigarette burns do seem quite extreme and the sound is also poor at times. However Network do warn you of these problems on all the publicity for the film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg house-in-the-woods-dvd.jpg (78.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 17th April 2016, 06:12 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

A couple decide enough's enough when their neighbours in the appartment oposite seem to hold a perpetual party so they decide to look for somewhere more secluded. By chance they find a lovely cottage out in the wilds owned by a widowed artist who wishes to sell the place. Upon meeting the artist the three get on so well he invites them to stay whilst the sale goes through telling them he'll be gone in a few days anyway. Shortly after moving in the couple discover all is not quite as it seems.

More a melodrama than out and out thriller, The House in the Woods is a charming little B-picture that's short and rather sweet. Running at a mere 59 minutes, the film, clearly designed as an opener for a main picture when it hit cinemas has potential to be a decent episode of 70's ITV series Thriller. It's principal cast of Michael Gough, Patricia Roc and Ronald Howard as the artist, do well with a script that's short on action but remains quite gripping once Gough and Roc decide Howard is up to no good.

As for the house of the title. Well it's not really what you might think. Instead of a dark brooding mansion of madness we have a lovely quaint English cottage, and the woods? Well there are some and they hide a macabre secret but the film isn't the Gothic extravaganza you might be hoping for.

All in all The House in the Woods is an edgy, slightly sinister film and i'm pleased to have such an obscurity in my collection of British films.

The Network dvd has print damage on occasions despite it being a new master. The print itself is fine but the cigarette burns do seem quite extreme and the sound is also poor at times. However Network do warn you of these problems on all the publicity for the film.
Mm...so you liked it right?
Old 17th April 2016, 06:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:

I bought this a couple of Network sales ago and for some reason, have held off watching it. Might check it out this week based on your review!
Old 17th April 2016, 06:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Debt (2010)

In 1965, three Mossad agents cross into East Berlin to apprehend a notorious Nazi war criminal. Thirty years later, the secrets the agents share come back to haunt them.

I think the biggest endorsement i can give to this film is that as the final credits rolled at ten to four in the morning i realized i'd never yawned or looked at the clock once during the 110 minute running time. Thoroughly gripping after a slightly confusing start that all becomes clear in due course, this is one of the more pacy Cold War films with several tense situations throughout.

John Madden, a director best known for Shakespeare in Love and the two Best Exotic Marigold Hotel films may seem an odd choice when it comes to an espionage thriller but he comes up trumps due to a tense script and a great choice of actors as well as knowing how to use them perfectly.

The Debt is a rare film that's both extremely intelligent and compellingly entertaining. Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheDebt_Quad.jpg (92.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 17th April 2016, 06:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Mm...so you liked it right?
Did you read the words or just look at the picture?

Quote:
The House in the Woods is a charming little B-picture that's short and rather sweet.
Quote:
Old 17th April 2016, 06:36 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Did you read the words or just look at the picture?
Can't see the picture thanks to tapatoss. Had to read. Good review Dem but i got the impression you were a little undecided or was it just not what you expected?
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 17th April 2016, 06:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Can't see the picture thanks to tapatoss. Had to read. Good review Dem but i got the impression you were a little undecided or was it just not what you expected?
It wasn't quite as i expected, but i did enjoy it.
J Harker likes this.
Old 17th April 2016, 07:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Boris Karloff is a dying archaeologist who uses most of his fortune to obtain a rare and expensive artefact that supposedly has the ability the grant eternal life if a ritual is followed at their death. Following his death karloffs lawyer amongst others are after the artefact, Karloff rises friends m the grave to seek it out to complete the ritual, caught up in this are is only two remaining relatives ( one who is a very young Ralph Richardson ). Enjoyable and quite atmospheric in places. The highlights for me had to be the female relatives best friend and Karloff's servant . 6.6/10

A Bava spy/ mad scientist spoof. The story involves Vincent Price's Dr Goldfoot ( the real star of the show with is wonderful OTT performance) who has a plan to steal the wealth of some of the worlds richest men by using his army of fembots to make them fall in love with them and sign over there wealth. The only people that know of his plans are millionaire Ted Armstrong and inept spy Craig Gamble.
Was enjoyable enough up till the overly long and very unfunny car chase at the end. 6.1/10

While not as good as the first, there was is still plenty to enjoy and it does have the best story out both film in it (the raft ) 8/10

Next up ( one I've not seen before )

Old 17th April 2016, 07:30 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
It wasn't quite as i expected, but i did enjoy it.
Mine should turn up in a day or two. At 59mins i stand a good chance of getting it watched soon. Got Dangerous Voyage coming too, that one sounds intriguing.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 17th April 2016, 08:14 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by attackosaur View Post
The Act of Seeing with One's Own Eyes: incredible stuff. Wasn't familiar with Brakhage before and a lot of it goes over my head, but this one was magic.
This one hit home like a sledge-hammer fro me. I watched it for the first time last year and it was one of those experiences that just compelled me to jot some random thought and feelings down about what I'd seen. Powerful stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by attackosaur View Post
Pieta: Korean crime thriller(ish). Had heard good things, but wasn't feeling it. Some great little scenarios, but none of it added up to it being particularly engaging. Weakened by a bad ending, too. Heard the director's great, so I'll try another one of his anyway.
I quite enjoyed Pieta, although I agree with you about the ending to some degree.

I've seen a few Kim Ki-duk films and would certainly recommend Bad Guy and The Isle. Moebius (his follow-up to Pieta) is also pretty good.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!