Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2016, 12:02 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

San andreas not my style of film my friend wanted to watch it.
There's allsorts of reasons why some of the stuff in these type of films annoy me, even tho my grievance might sound petty or daft.
For starters the car scene at beggining of the film you knew straight away the action scenes where going to be ott and pathetic , sorry but a car hanging on edge of a cliff at almost 90degrees nah u alright mate have some realism in the scene like its on a angle of some sort or edge of the cliff.
Its like kinda trying to be realistic but being unrealistic at same time,
And fact no matter what happens in the film you know the outcome before it even got going, whats the fun in that because no matter what lies ahead you know they will all survive no matter what, you knew his daughter would pull through, Bollocks she drowned and would be dead end of , so whats the point of long drawn out scenes when you know the outcome anyway? at least they could have some realism and kill two of them. Every film need some unpredictable you dont know what going to happen scenes, instead of having a sick soppy predictable happy ending that everyone survives , that alone ruins a film for me
The scene where their riding into the wave and they clip bottom of that huge tanker and all the containers are falling down towards them and they manage to survive. Yes ok then like you do.
You wouldn't get all this bollock nonsense in films like towering inferno, or poseidan adventure at least they had realism in them not like todays films.
And bits of scenes that i dont quite get the theory, eg when the earthquake started and it shows the scene of the bollards rising erm whats theory behind that, they did it in the sense as if we are going somewhere with it, like people are going to run into them or fall over them and hurt themselves. But no they didnt, so in theory It was a complete pointless scene Yes its only a film but if hollywood got out this pathetic ott silly exaggeration look at me im a big hollywood style film and went back to the old style of realistic disaster movies then people might take some of these films a bit more serious and enjoy the film for what it is, but until then i cant and things like that why these type of films annoy me And why i tend to avoid them.

Last edited by gag; 28th April 2016 at 01:41 AM.
Old 28th April 2016, 02:39 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
San andreas not my style of film my friend wanted to watch it.
There's allsorts of reasons why some of the stuff in these type of films annoy me, even tho my grievance might sound petty or daft.
For starters the car scene at beggining of the film you knew straight away the action scenes where going to be ott and pathetic , sorry but a car hanging on edge of a cliff at almost 90degrees nah u alright mate have some realism in the scene like its on a angle of some sort or edge of the cliff.
Its like kinda trying to be realistic but being unrealistic at same time,
And fact no matter what happens in the film you know the outcome before it even got going, whats the fun in that because no matter what lies ahead you know they will all survive no matter what, you knew his daughter would pull through, Bollocks she drowned and would be dead end of , so whats the point of long drawn out scenes when you know the outcome anyway? at least they could have some realism and kill two of them. Every film need some unpredictable you dont know what going to happen scenes, instead of having a sick soppy predictable happy ending that everyone survives , that alone ruins a film for me
The scene where their riding into the wave and they clip bottom of that huge tanker and all the containers are falling down towards them and they manage to survive. Yes ok then like you do.
You wouldn't get all this bollock nonsense in films like towering inferno, or poseidan adventure at least they had realism in them not like todays films.
And bits of scenes that i dont quite get the theory, eg when the earthquake started and it shows the scene of the bollards rising erm whats theory behind that, they did it in the sense as if we are going somewhere with it, like people are going to run into them or fall over them and hurt themselves. But no they didnt, so in theory It was a complete pointless scene Yes its only a film but if hollywood got out this pathetic ott silly exaggeration look at me im a big hollywood style film and went back to the old style of realistic disaster movies then people might take some of these films a bit more serious and enjoy the film for what it is, but until then i cant and things like that why these type of films annoy me And why i tend to avoid them.
I was OK with this film. It's nonsense and makes very little sense, like you say, but that's what I was hoping for. It never got above, say, a 5/10, but there was a lot more destruction than I was expecting, so it was fun in places. I don't think I would've bothered with it if I thought it was gonna be realistic, in all honesty. I was hoping for a cheesy Daylight-style action/disaster film and it was kinda like an average one of those (Daylight is a classic, though!).
Old 28th April 2016, 03:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Before last week the only film I'd seen in the Marvel Cinematic Universe was Thor, I watched it because it was a Kenneth Brannagh film and I enjoyed it, I never got around the others so with Civil War coming out and getting 5 star reviews from the press I'm trying my best to watch as many as I can before next week.

So since Monday I have been watching Marvel films - MCU Phase 1 is complete and i'm into Phase 2 now. I'm not going to get into big reviews but suffice to say I've enjoyed (more or less) all of them so far and these are my scores!

I also watched The Desolation of Smaug which I'd been putting off for ages on account of An Unexpected Journey being so bloody awful but I enjoyed it!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 28th April 2016, 03:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The first Thor film and Guardians of the Galaxy are my favourite of the Marvel films so far. Having said that i've not seen any of the Captain America films.
Justin101, trebor8273 and J Harker like this.
Old 28th April 2016, 05:31 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
The first Thor film and Guardians of the Galaxy are my favourite of the Marvel films so far. Having said that i've not seen any of the Captain America films.
You should remedy that as soon as possible, because the Captain America films are very good.
Old 28th April 2016, 05:53 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
You should remedy that as soon as possible, because the Captain America films are very good.
I was worried that Winter's Soldier wouldn't be as good, but I'm hoping that it will be. I'm going to try and watch Thor 2 later after I've had a tutorial

Quick question though, even though Guardians of the Galaxy is part of the MCU is it in the same timeline, do I need to see it to make sense of things in Avengers 2 and moving on to Civil War, same with Ant Man I guess but that seems like it at least has connotations of SHIELD in it.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 28th April 2016, 05:58 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I thought the first one was a bag of shit, but different strokes for different folks and all that!
Old 28th April 2016, 06:01 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I was worried that Winter's Soldier wouldn't be as good, but I'm hoping that it will be. I'm going to try and watch Thor 2 later after I've had a tutorial

Quick question though, even though Guardians of the Galaxy is part of the MCU is it in the same timeline, do I need to see it to make sense of things in Avengers 2 and moving on to Civil War, same with Ant Man I guess but that seems like it at least has connotations of SHIELD in it.
CA The Winter Soldier is very good, better than the first. Thor 2 is in my opinion quite poor.
Guardians of the Galaxy despite being in the same universe and timeline isn't relevant to following Avengers 2.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 28th April 2016, 06:41 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Guardians of the Galaxy is more or less a stand-alone film without any of the characters in main roles. There is one in a funny post-credits scene though.
Old 28th April 2016, 06:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I thought the first one was a bag of shit, but different strokes for different folks and all that!
It was, bag of shit sums it up perfectly.

Like this? Share it using the links below!