Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179604Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th April 2016, 05:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Craze (1974)

Craze (1974)

This film was totally new to me,before I had only seen its faded jacket on some video shop shelve back in the past,or the odd picture of Jack Palance wielding an axe in some horror review book. And after watching it I find it hard to compare it to any other film from that period,maybe a touch of the Pete Walkers about it with a touch of Dan Curtis Trilogy of Terror episode "Amelia" with its Zuni fetish doll. Craze was directed by Freddie Francis who as a cinematographer had a very illustrious career, but as a Director its been a bit hit or miss,with Mumsy, Nanny, Sonny & Girly and The Ghoul being some of the high lights while The Doctor and the Devils and Legend of the Werewolf being a bit on the MEH side,with Craze falling somewhere in the middle. The cast if nothing else is pretty impressive Jack Palance, Diana Dors ,Julie Ege ,Hugh Griffith ,Trevor Howard ,Suzy Kendall and David Warbeck are all in there some where,chewing on the edge of various bits of scenery.I have to say Diana Dors was in splendid slutty form flouncing about being the randy landlady slugging down gob fulls of brandy in eager anticipation of some rumpy pumpy with mad Jack.Also Julie Ege does a splendid job of falling for the psychotic sexual charms of crazy Jack.On the whole I did enjoy craze,it had that undefinable 1970's scuzzy quality which you some times get from the bargain basement end of British cinema. Obviously Jack Palance made this in his wilderness years while in Europe,before he regained his status back in America in the 1980's.I suppose Freddie remembered bad Jack from Torture Garden segment The Man Who Collected Poe,and thought AHA we need a mentalist,ill phone Palance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg craze_poster_02.jpg (98.3 KB, 3 views)

Old 29th April 2016, 07:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Captain America civil war

Bloody fantastic, it's now between this and guardians of the Galaxy for my favorite marvel film. unlike a certain other superhero film this movie was a joy from begining to end with never a dull moment and even when there was no action it was exciting. Thought the film would be very pro Cap but you see the problem from both sides and it's hard to fully supoort one team. The whole fight a the airport was amazing especially the Antman bit. To my surprise I thought Spider-Man would be terrible but how wrong I was, this is the best Spidey we have seen on the screen, the scene in which he is recruited by Stark was one of the funniest in the film, the charcter didn't come of as annoying and whinny as the other movies, so really looking forward to see Spider-Man homecoming now, but for me the real highlight was the black panther who was just awesome . I would advise rewatching winter solider before you see it. 9.7/10
Old 29th April 2016, 09:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cat's Eye. James Woods is a chain-smoker who hires Quitters Inc to help him kick the habit, only to find it's a Mob-run company that has very strong methods to ensure you quit; Robert Hays (Airplane!) is the boyfriend of a woman involved with a dangerous hoodlum who forces him into a deadly bet - that he can't safely walk around the thin ledge of a building's 30th floor; and Drew Barrymore is a little girl terrorised in the night by a breath-stealing troll that lives behind her skirting board. This mid 80s anthology flick of three Stephen King stories (connected by the loose thread of the titular feline who gets involved in all) is a funny and creepy delight that has always been one of my favourites, and still is. Always go back to this every few years, it's just so much fun.
Old 29th April 2016, 09:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Not this for sure, but only reaaon why ive put this up is because ive had busy day and only been in a hour and not had chance to read the paper
As i turned the page and started to read that article tommorow never die started playing on tv. So guess it was right then
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1461966788519-813145147.jpg (89.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 29th April 2016, 10:30 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Offbeat (1961)

An MI5 officer goes undercover in a gang of crooks as they attempt to pull off a diamond heist.

An interesting British B-picture starring William Sylvester (Devils of Darkness 1965). At times playing out like a lesser version of the previous years The League of Gentlemen which shows the meticulous lengths criminals go to in order to carry out the seemingly perfect crime.

Although not a gripper, the film is well thought out with a few twists and turns along the way. The opening was particularly intriguing and completely threw me at first. Sylvester has splendid support from Anthony Dawson, John Meillon and Swedish siren, Mai Zetterling together with a zingy jazz score make this aptly titled thriller more than mere routine entertainment.

Shot on location in the centre of London, Offbeat is worth the attention of all crime film fans.

The Network dvd positively sparkles in the picture and sound department.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1512160540265_l.jpg (31.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 30th April 2016, 07:34 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Zombie 3.

While certainly not as good as Zombie Flesheaters it is still great fun none the less and one I would recommend picking up.

trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 30th April 2016, 10:29 AM
Cultist in Training

Bone Tomahawk - Wow! What a great western/horror hybrid of a movie. Went in to this movie knowing very little, as was recommended by others, and just let the running-time of 132m wash over me. For me, Kurt Russell has never been better. In fairness, the entire cast were universally brilliant. The last forty minutes or so, were just savage. Part Western, part Hills Have Eyes and definitely part late '70s Italian Cannibal flick. Nice to see Jamison Newlander play a small roll as the towns Mayor. I'm familiar with him from The Blob remake and The Lost Boys.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 30th April 2016, 10:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Age of Ultron. A strong last hour saved this film for me. Up to that point i found it slightly disappointing with several decisions seemingly off to me. Hawkeye basically changing from hardened spy/assassin who tortured Black Widow into Shield to a home-loving family man. Didn't sit well. Neither did the Widow/Banner 'romance'. Basically it looked like those 2 subplots were only there because those 2 characters are 'weaker' than the main heroes and to give them more screen-time.

Anyway, finished strongly, but no-where near as good as either the first Avengers movie or the Guardians of the Galaxy one.
Old 30th April 2016, 10:55 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Age of Ultron. A strong last hour saved this film for me. Up to that point i found it slightly disappointing with several decisions seemingly off to me. Hawkeye basically changing from hardened spy/assassin who tortured Black Widow into Shield to a home-loving family man. Didn't sit well. Neither did the Widow/Banner 'romance'. Basically it looked like those 2 subplots were only there because those 2 characters are 'weaker' than the main heroes and to give them more screen-time.

Anyway, finished strongly, but no-where near as good as either the first Avengers movie or the Guardians of the Galaxy one.
I'll be watching this one tonight.
I watched Winter Soldier this morning, it blew me away. I thought i'd be going into Civil War on team Stark, but I think the Cap has it now.

I wasn't a massive fan of the first Avengers movie so I'm not really holding out much for the sequel but it's essential to the grand arc so I'll let you know what I think afterwards.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 30th April 2016, 11:00 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy.dm19 View Post
Bone Tomahawk - Wow! What a great western/horror hybrid of a movie. Went in to this movie knowing very little, as was recommended by others, and just let the running-time of 132m wash over me. For me, Kurt Russell has never been better. In fairness, the entire cast were universally brilliant. The last forty minutes or so, were just savage. Part Western, part Hills Have Eyes and definitely part late '70s Italian Cannibal flick. Nice to see Jamison Newlander play a small roll as the towns Mayor. I'm familiar with him from The Blob remake and The Lost Boys.
I also thought it was a gripping watch with well developed characters, a harsh landscape and appropriate brutality.

Like this? Share it using the links below!