Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th February 2010, 06:56 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Embodiment of Evil - This is the latest release from the Coffn Joe series, set 40 years after the last movie. Um, it was.... um.... interesting I guess. Was just really slow paced, the way everyone spoke seemed like slow motion to me. Coffin Joe was actually just bloody irritating rather than creepy or scary. It had some good gorey scenes in, some that weaker stomachs couldn't handle but other than that it was quite disappointing, oh well at least I didn't buy it. Twas on the rental list

Step Brothers - This is the quite recent effort from Will Ferrell, also starring the brilliant John C Reilly in a rare central comical role. It's about 2 40 year olds who still live with their parent, Will lives with his Mum, John with his Dad. Basically the parents meet and fall in love, get married then move in together which causes a bit of friction between the 2 immature 'step brothers'. I actually quite enjoyed this, it had several laugh out loud moments and quite a lot of giggly moments too. I think it just brought out the child in me. The 2 brothers attitudes and characteristics just brought back many memories of me and my sibling. You could tell a lot was improvised too which showed just how funny the 2 can be when they think like children. Worth a watch with a couple of beers and some mates to release the childish nature in all of us.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 12th February 2010, 09:11 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Step Brothers
I just hope to god neither you or your siblings ever owned a set of drums.
Old 12th February 2010, 09:24 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Cold Prey - Diverting but nothing really memorable about this Norweian slasher flick. 90 minutes passes by but I've already started to forget most of it. Very low on gore too. There is a sequel to this one but I'm not rushing to find it.

King Boxer - A true Shaw Brothers classic that really has some groundbreaking stuff in it. I always enjoy Lo Lieh's films, but this is easily his best film and one of his rare good guy lead roles. Some great blood splash moments and an eyeball gouging that is hard to forget.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cold Pey.jpg (7.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg King Boxer.jpg (8.5 KB, 2 views)

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 12th February 2010, 10:22 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door

Er...wow. I thought the book was powerful! The film is superb but often hard to watch. Powerful and brutal. The performances are astonishing. What a film. Left me feeling like I'd been hollowed out with a sledgehammer.

That it is based on the real Silvia Likens case is what makes this more shockingly resonant than the likes of Martyrs (great and moving though that film is!).

Gosh.
Its a very disturbing movie yes, but I thought the book was far more potent so to speak as it was no holds bared. They had to ease up on the movie for obvious reasons. Keep in mind that the Girl Next Door is a fiction story based on the true story. Ketchem said he had added more brutality to it to make it a horror story. Am not sure what actually happened though.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 12th February 2010, 11:24 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Its a very disturbing movie yes, but I thought the book was far more potent so to speak as it was no holds bared. They had to ease up on the movie for obvious reasons. Keep in mind that the Girl Next Door is a fiction story based on the true story. Ketchem said he had added more brutality to it to make it a horror story. Am not sure what actually happened though.
The true case was horrendous. A sad and haunting crime. Going to check out An American Crime which is based on the real case.
Old 12th February 2010, 12:30 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoj View Post
I just hope to god neither you or your siblings ever owned a set of drums.
Funny you should say that but I am a drummer and I did have a drumkit

Although he didn't slap his balls against them (that I know of) I did slap mine against his guitar. Shhhhhhhh! That's our little secret

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 12th February 2010, 01:07 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Embodiment of Evil - This is the latest release from the Coffn Joe series, set 40 years after the last movie.
I thought it was great!
"a remarkable comeback for the elderly Marins, his performance as the madly eccentric gravedigger is assured, and quite mesmerising" (excerpt from my review in Black Static #12 (published by T3A Press).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadAlive View Post
Cold Prey - Diverting but nothing really memorable ... There is a sequel to this one but I'm not rushing to find it.
The sequel, Cold Prey: Resurrection, is actually better than the first one!

I saw TV movie, Thrill Seekers (aka: The Time Shifters, 1999), a no-brainwork sci-fi remix of Timescape crossed with Timecop. It stars Casper Van Dien and Catherine Bell.
Old 12th February 2010, 03:13 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadAlive View Post

King Boxer - A true Shaw Brothers classic that really has some groundbreaking stuff in it. I always enjoy Lo Lieh's films, but this is easily his best film and one of his rare good guy lead roles. Some great blood splash moments and an eyeball gouging that is hard to forget.

Yeah, Such an awesome film. Can't really think of a single fault with it.
Old 12th February 2010, 08:01 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigasus View Post

I saw TV movie, Thrill Seekers (aka: The Time Shifters, 1999), a no-brainwork sci-fi remix of Timescape crossed with Timecop. It stars Casper Van Dien and Catherine Bell.
I remember seeing that when it premiered on Sci-Fi, this is the one where people come back intime to see historical events right?
Old 12th February 2010, 08:13 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
I remember seeing that when it premiered on Sci-Fi, this is the one where people come back intime to see historical events right?
Yeah that's the one.I saw it last year on one of the tv channels.Fairly enjoyable movie.

Like this? Share it using the links below!