Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

VicDakin 4th July 2012 05:12 PM

Aquatic

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519EH5TCN0L.jpgHaving an aquatic double bill
http://www.amoeba.com/dynamic-images...athan-dvd.jpeg

damn the internet and its foolish ways

Susan Foreman 4th July 2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 255224)

Think you have been thwarted, Mr. Dakin!

Maybe the second poster is 'Flipper' or 'Free Willy'!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 4th July 2012 05:47 PM

I'm betting it's The Little Mermaid 2. :D

Baseball Fury 4th July 2012 05:49 PM

Splash, for sure

VicDakin 4th July 2012 05:52 PM

little mermaid

actually finding nemo :cry:

Susan Foreman 4th July 2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 255229)
actually finding nemo :cry:

You are accepted

That is a good film

Gojirosan 4th July 2012 06:23 PM

I love Splash and Finding Nemo!

I have also done the same double bill of Leviathan and Deep Rising! Though in my case, I actually went for it and made it a triple with Deep Star Six as well.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th July 2012 09:40 PM

Salt Directors cut.

An excellent action film, and a welcome blockbuster relief from all the sequels and superhero tripe we get lumbered with every summer.

SharonLynette 4th July 2012 10:23 PM

Just watched the 1989 version of "The Woman in Black" as I haven't seen it in years and I'm now off to have nightmares.

wonderlust 5th July 2012 12:24 AM

Cleanskin, 2012... Sean Bean <3
The Krays, 1990. Brilliant!

Gojirosan 5th July 2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 255307)
Just watched the 1989 version of "The Woman in Black" as I haven't seen it in years and I'm now off to have nightmares.

I watched that the other day!

Top stuff.

Slippery Jack 5th July 2012 08:06 AM

Phantasm

Ugh, rubbish! A pretty inept handling of suspense, and none of the scares worked. The storytelling felt so confused and poorly plotted (think the 'oh, that main guy died' ending was probably the worst). The Tall Man was a rubbish bad guy, totally lacking menace (saying "boy" and struggling to keep up with a running child - ooh, scary!). Was he meant to be controller of the death balls? Why didn't we have a cool scene showing him controlling them, coming out of his hands or something? What was the deal with the stabby graveyard sex woman? Were the death balls meant to transform folk into hooded dwarves? Why didn't we have a cool scene showing that happen...?

SharonLynette 5th July 2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 255315)
I watched that the other day!

Top stuff.

Have you read the book? I haven't but I'm curious to what changes were made which made Susan Hill dislike the '89 version? I'm thinking about checking out the recent version too, mainly because I'm a fan of tenuous links.

Pete 5th July 2012 09:10 AM

TUCKER AND DALE VS EVIL - Didn't fancy it but turned out to be very enjoyable.

ALIEN VS NINJA - Crap but probably got great reviews just because it's Japanese and a bit weird.

keirarts 5th July 2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 255320)
Phantasm

Ugh, rubbish! A pretty inept handling of suspense, and none of the scares worked. The storytelling felt so confused and poorly plotted (think the 'oh, that main guy died' ending was probably the worst). The Tall Man was a rubbish bad guy, totally lacking menace (saying "boy" and struggling to keep up with a running child - ooh, scary!). Was he meant to be controller of the death balls? Why didn't we have a cool scene showing him controlling them, coming out of his hands or something? What was the deal with the stabby graveyard sex woman? Were the death balls meant to transform folk into hooded dwarves? Why didn't we have a cool scene showing that happen...?

Heretic!!!

Only kidding. Phantasm is another one of those love them or hate them kind of movies, mainly because the entire film is structured as a very bad nightmare, so a lot of what happens falls back on the idea that the film works somewhat on dream logic.

Lat night I watched HELL'S GATE. A late eighties/early nighties italian schlockfest by umberto lenzi and released by EC entertainment. It's about a group of scientists doing an isolation study, monitoring one of their group whose living alone in the cave system for a prolonged period of time. When something appears to go wrong the group head down to rescue their mate only to find a bunch of demonic ghost monks down there set on butchering the whole lot of them. This is a technically dreadful movie that like a lot of genre films from italy of the same perod, manages to be a lot of cheesy fun in spite of iteslf. Theres some pretty gorey death scenes and lots of plot that makes bugger all sense! I liked it but then I enjoyed SODOMAS GHOST as well. The EC release is full screen and not the greatest quality, its in italian with english subtitles and no cheesy dub which was somewhat dissapointing.

I also went to the cinema to see THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN. Not as good as the first two films but a lot better than the third. The /cg is mostly good and the film is well paced, also Andrew garfield makes a much better peter parker than Tobey maguire. The film is NOT part of Raimi's trilogy regardless of what the advertising claims as the whole film is a re-telling of the origin story. Nontheless very entertaining, I just which marvel studios had been able to make it and incorporate it into the cinematic marvel universe their building.

PaulD 5th July 2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 255358)
I also went to the cinema to see THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN. Not as good as the first two films but a lot better than the third. The /cg is mostly good and the film is well paced, also Andrew garfield makes a much better peter parker than Tobey maguire. The film is NOT part of Raimi's trilogy regardless of what the advertising claims as the whole film is a re-telling of the origin story. Nontheless very entertaining, I just which marvel studios had been able to make it and incorporate it into the cinematic marvel universe their building.

When have they ever said that? They've been very clear from the start that this is a reboot of the franchise, completely unrelated to Raimi's trilogy.

Slippery Jack 5th July 2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Heretic!!!

Only kidding. Phantasm is another one of those love them or hate them kind of movies, mainly because the entire film is structured as a very bad nightmare, so a lot of what happens falls back on the idea that the film works somewhat on dream logic.

Hmmmmmm, really? Well Don Coscarelli sure aint no David Lynch ;):tongue1::lol: . . .

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th July 2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Lat night I watched HELL'S GATE. A late eighties/early nighties italian schlockfest by umberto lenzi and released by EC entertainment. It's about a group of scientists doing an isolation study, monitoring one of their group whose living alone in the cave system for a prolonged period of time. When something appears to go wrong the group head down to rescue their mate only to find a bunch of demonic ghost monks down there set on butchering the whole lot of them. This is a technically dreadful movie that like a lot of genre films from italy of the same perod, manages to be a lot of cheesy fun in spite of iteslf. Theres some pretty gorey death scenes and lots of plot that makes bugger all sense! I liked it but then I enjoyed SODOMAS GHOST as well. The EC release is full screen and not the greatest quality, its in italian with english subtitles and no cheesy dub which was somewhat dissapointing.

Both are certainly cheesy, but it wasn't so much the lack of technical excellence these films possess that propogates my dislike for them, more the fact that as trashy 80s Italian horror films go, they were both very, very dull films. I'm certainly no saint, and love some awful, trashy poor excuses for films, but your trash tolerance must be very high indeed, Mr keirarts! :D

Gojirosan 5th July 2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 255321)
Have you read the book? I haven't but I'm curious to what changes were made which made Susan Hill dislike the '89 version? I'm thinking about checking out the recent version too, mainly because I'm a fan of tenuous links.

Yes. Nothing leapt out at me as drastically changed. The recent version is a potentially OK film ruined by miscasting of the lead. Really ruined.

keirarts 5th July 2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 255362)
When have they ever said that? They've been very clear from the start that this is a reboot of the franchise, completely unrelated to Raimi's trilogy.

The poster states "THE UNTOLD STORY" suggesting the film is supposed to take place in some segment of time in the Raimi continuity.

keirarts 5th July 2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 255371)
Both are certainly cheesy, but it wasn't so much the lack of technical excellence these films possess that propogates my dislike for them, more the fact that as trashy 80s Italian horror films go, they were both very, very dull films. I'm certainly no saint, and love some awful, trashy poor excuses for films, but your trash tolerance must be very high indeed, Mr keirarts! :D

I just seem to enjoy these movies, I never found them dull at all. **edit*** I have a strange affinity for italian movies of this period, none of them are any good but then this was also when Dario argento began pissing his talent away on rubbish movies so maybe there was something in the water!

SharonLynette 5th July 2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 255374)
Yes. Nothing leapt out at me as drastically changed. The recent version is a potentially OK film ruined by miscasting of the lead. Really ruined.

That kind of works for me, not a Harry Potter but I like the fact that the person who played the role originally played Harry Potter's dad in the Potter films. I'll wait till it's on Sky.

PaulD 5th July 2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 255375)
The poster states "THE UNTOLD STORY" suggesting the film is supposed to take place in some segment of time in the Raimi continuity.

Nah, I think you're reading too much into that! That, to me, suggests that it's telling the Spiderman story from a slightly different perspective that hasn't been done before.

keirarts 5th July 2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 255380)
Nah, I think you're reading too much into that! That, to me, suggests that it's telling the Spiderman story from a slightly different perspective that hasn't been done before.

The wrong way :lol:

Its fun but it's not up to the standards of marvel studio's!

Baseball Fury 5th July 2012 12:43 PM

To be honest, I think Marvel Studios have only made two good films, namely The Avengers and Iron Man, so I don't think they'd have done much better with it!

Invid Ninja 5th July 2012 01:14 PM

Personally for me, Punisher: War Zone was the only Marvel film I saw that I would consider above average; perhaps Captain America too.

I still say Avengers Assemble was one of the most disappointing comic book movies I've watched; not as bad as Ghost Rider 2 or Jonah Hex mind you, but to me it was mediocre and supremely overhyped.

I did however recently watch William Lustig's Maniac and Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer, both very good grimy chilllers. :)

sawyer6 5th July 2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 255384)
To be honest, I think Marvel Studios have only made two good films, namely The Avengers and Iron Man, so I don't think they'd have done much better with it!

The Hulk is one of the best!

Gojirosan 5th July 2012 01:23 PM

The first Iron Man is the only Marvel Studios film I've thought to have anything to offer above "meh". Not that the others have been actually bad...well apart from Thor, that was awful! :lol:

James Morton 5th July 2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 255367)
Hmmmmmm, really? Well Don Coscarelli sure aint no David Lynch ;):tongue1::lol: . . .

not a great fan of Coscarelli but at least I understood BUBBA HO TEP!
unlike many of Lynch's films.....:rolleyes:

Slippery Jack 5th July 2012 02:45 PM

har har. Yeah I remember Bubba Ho Tep being good (though I've not rewatched it since it first came out on dvd...), which made Phantasm all the more disappointing . . .

Invid Ninja 5th July 2012 04:09 PM

Considering all of this Marvel movie talk, I was going to see The Amazing Spider-Man. Was too lazy to go out so I stayed in to watch 13 Assassins instead; goes to show Miike can stage some pretty fantastic action set-pieces.

Now back to watching more of the Logan's Run TV show. :D

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th July 2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 255228)
Splash, for sure

The first time I saw Splash, when I was no older than 10, was the first time I felt something 'special' about a film character.

I hasten to add that's more to do with Daryl Hannah than any yet to be developed mermaid fetish!

Actually, this might be worth its own thread.

Susan Foreman 5th July 2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 255445)
I hasten to add that's more to do with Daryl Hannah than any yet to be developed mermaid fetish!

As I pointed out in the 'weird news' thread, the American government have confirmed that mermaids do NOT exist

Sorry if this news traumatizes you!

BBC News - No evidence of mermaids, says US government

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th July 2012 06:33 PM

Recent viewings:

http://up.cf2.letterboxd.com/assets/...0-222-crop.jpg http://bullitt.cf2.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://brick.cf2.letterboxd.com/asse...0-222-crop.jpg http://bullitt.cf2.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://up.cf2.letterboxd.com/assets/...0-222-crop.jpg http://moon.cf2.letterboxd.com/asset...0-222-crop.jpg http://brick.cf2.letterboxd.com/asse...0-222-crop.jpg http://brick.cf2.letterboxd.com/asse...0-222-crop.jpg http://moon.cf2.letterboxd.com/asset...0-222-crop.jpg http://bullitt.cf2.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://brick.cf2.letterboxd.com/asse...0-222-crop.jpg http://up.cf2.letterboxd.com/assets/...0-222-crop.jpg

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th July 2012 06:36 PM

Plus, as I watched Hardware, I have this playing on repeat:

Public Image Ltd. - Hardware (1990): Order of Death - YouTube

I can't watch this film without listening to it a few times afterwards.

Pete 5th July 2012 06:39 PM

Nothing good then. :p

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th July 2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 255449)
As I pointed out in the 'weird news' thread, the American government have confirmed that mermaids do NOT exist

Sorry if this news traumatizes you!

BBC News - No evidence of mermaids, says US government

I bet Gojirosan is gutted.:pout:

Hawkmonger 5th July 2012 06:59 PM

Hardware is AWSOME!:rockon:

the blob 5th July 2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 255320)
Phantasm

I'm another one that's never really been taken by Phantasm. Just a bit of cheap American teen horror with a bit of a wacky premise. Shame as I remember seeing the TV spots when I was a kid and it looked a lot better than it turned out.

I bought the AB UK horror classics DVD in Poundland a while back and actually gave it a spin a couple of weeks ago after over a year of staring at it wondering when I'd be in the mood. Still a no...

Incidentally, that DVD which is rumoured to be bare bones actually has all the extras from the disc in the box set. At least I could watch the trailer again and still try and pretend it was a better film. :)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th July 2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 255474)
Nothing good then. :p

:tongue1:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 255483)
Hardware is AWSOME!:rockon:

Indeed it is. :coolblue: