Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st May 2016, 07:42 AM
Cult Addict

Just found this article

Edward Norton has revealed why he didn’t play The Hulk in*The Avengers, and he has basically suggested that he wouldn’t have wanted to do it anyway... even if they’d asked him.*

Edward Norton*rebooted Bruce Banner in Louis Leterrier’s*The Incredible Hulk*back in 2008. While not totally terrible, the movie failed to truly connect with its intended audience, only generating $263.4 million at the box office. This poor display -- as well as a number of other creative issues between Marvel Studios, Norton and Leterrier -- resulted in Mark Ruffalo taking the part of The Hulk for Joss Whedon’s 2012 monster-hit,*The Avengers. Of course his success in the film means that Norton’s time as Banner has almost been entirely dismissed. But despite the way it panned out, Norton has now told*NPR*that he doesn’t regret starring in the film and he’s actually happy that he got out when he could.*

"My feeling was that I experimented and experienced what I wanted to. I really, really enjoyed it. And yet, I looked at the balance of time in life that one spends not only making those sorts of films but then especially putting them out, and the obligations that rightly come with that … I think you can sort of do anything once, but if you do it too many times, it can become a suit that’s hard to take off, in other people’s eyes."

To be fair to Edward Norton, he has gone on to star in a number of modern classics since his failed attempt to make The Hulk his own. Plus, his comments suggest that obligations for both*The Avengers*and next summer’s*Avengers: Age Of Ultronwould have stopped him from starring in critically acclaimed movies like*Moonrise Kingdom,*The Grand Budapest Hotel*andBirdman. In fact, his performance in the latter has been received so positively there is even early chatter that he could be in line for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination. However, Mark Ruffalo also has gone on to appear in a number of engrossing smaller budget films in the same space of time, including*Begin Againand*Foxcatcher. So, there's that.*

I was always disappointed that Edward Norton just wasn’t able to gel as either Bruce Banner or with*Marvel.*There was great excitement when he was cast as the beloved character. But production problems, which saw Louis Leterrier direct with a broken foot, soon blighted the shoot and Edward Norton’s insistence that the script wasn’t ever right even saw him refuse to promote the film. Because of this, it was no surprise when*Mark Ruffalowas called in to replace Norton, and it seemed like a clean break for everyone.*

That’s not to say that the*Fight Club*actor wasn’t originally a tad upset that he was eventually overlooked for*The Avengers. Back in July 2010, he told his*Facebookfollowers that he was saddened not to be in the ensemble epic, writing, "It seems it won’t work out for me. I sincerely hoped it could happen and be great for everyone, but it hasn’t turned out as we all hoped."
Old 21st May 2016, 12:07 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

This past week's viewings:

Orders Signed in White (Ordine firmato in bianco) (1974)

54/100

The Girl in Room 2A (La Casa Della Paura) (1974)

67/100

The Beach Girls and the Monster (1965)

9/100

The Beast that Killed Women (1965)

23/100

Viridiana (1961)

69/100

Palindromes (2004)

77/100

Curse of the Fly (1965)

50/100

Incubus (1966)

66/100

Monster a-Go Go (1965)

7/100
Old 21st May 2016, 12:16 PM
Cult Addict

i love the precise nature of your scores. anything i watch is either good or bad then the score system kicks in, anything below a 5, then it's just a bit shit.
I like the way you differentiate a 6/10 and 8/10. i'd just be like it's pants, no more thought required.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 21st May 2016, 12:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
This past week's viewings:

Viridiana (1961)

69/100

I've not heard of this. However i do like the still. What sort of film is it?
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st May 2016, 01:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Possession (1981)

A drawn out metaphor for the crumbling and ultimate destruction of a marriage and the self loathing that goes with it that culminates in a hysterical miscarriage in a subway which goes on for far too long. Just like the film itself.

Unfortunately i hated the character oif Anna as played by Isabelle Adjani. Much like Shelley Duvall in The Shining her wide eyed shouting and screaming histrionics become wearing after fifteen minutes and her performance became a chore to endure.

The film showcases some excellent cinematography showing the deserted streets, Polish director Andrzej Zulawski's camera never stops moving and the apartment Anna hides out in is a haunting dream state series of rooms with the Berlin Wall in the background all wallowing in an air of surreal desperation. Again an allegory for division just as the film itself is.

I'm not sure how this film was marketed but it ain't a horror film. It seems like a vanity piece the director had to do to represent his own life at the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l98soayv.jpg (23.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 21st May 2016, 02:05 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Possession (1981)
I love this film and have no problems with Isabelle Adjani's character or performance (which is probably the strongest of her career). I don't have any problems with Shelley Duvall in The Shining either, which may explain why.

Personally, I like that it doesn't entirely make its intentions clear and I'm always left with a 'What the hell just happened?' feeling when it ends, just enjoying the ride!

I think Viridiana is a masterpiece and my score would be in the high 90s, but then I'm a huge fan of Luis Buñuel's films, whether 'mainstream' like Belle de jour or more surreal such as The Exterminating Angel or The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.
Old 21st May 2016, 06:13 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Possession (1981)

A drawn out metaphor for the crumbling and ultimate destruction of a marriage and the self loathing that goes with it that culminates in a hysterical miscarriage in a subway which goes on for far too long. Just like the film itself.

Unfortunately i hated the character oif Anna as played by Isabelle Adjani. Much like Shelley Duvall in The Shining her wide eyed shouting and screaming histrionics become wearing after fifteen minutes and her performance became a chore to endure.

The film showcases some excellent cinematography showing the deserted streets, Polish director Andrzej Zulawski's camera never stops moving and the apartment Anna hides out in is a haunting dream state series of rooms with the Berlin Wall in the background all wallowing in an air of surreal desperation. Again an allegory for division just as the film itself is.

I'm not sure how this film was marketed but it ain't a horror film. It seems like a vanity piece the director had to do to represent his own life at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I love this film and have no problems with Isabelle Adjani's character or performance (which is probably the strongest of her career). I don't have any problems with Shelley Duvall in The Shining either, which may explain why.

Personally, I like that it doesn't entirely make its intentions clear and I'm always left with a 'What the hell just happened?' feeling when it ends, just enjoying the ride!

I think Viridiana is a masterpiece and my score would be in the high 90s, but then I'm a huge fan of Luis Buñuel's films, whether 'mainstream' like Belle de jour or more surreal such as The Exterminating Angel or The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.
While its one of my favourite films i must admit Shelley Duvall is a little grating in The Shining.
Old 21st May 2016, 07:07 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I've not heard of this. However i do like the still. What sort of film is it?
Arty farty.

It's basically a character study and not so subtle dig at Catholicism by Bunuel, which tells the tale of a young novice nun, Viridiana, who pays a visit to her widowed uncle and attempts to maintain her Catholic principles amongst all the debauchery and lechery that is thrown her way. The Vatican denounced the film at the time and it is still as unflinching today. It's a film I'd definitely recommend seeking out - objectively speaking as much as subjectively.

Quote:
I love Possession and have no issue with Adjani's character - the subway meltdown is one of my favourite scenes in the film. In comparsion, Shelley Duvall's character gets on my nerves in The Shining as she just seems to be there for the sole purpose of wailing and to be annoying. The portrayal of her character was one of the main issues Stephen King had with Kubrick's film.

Quote:
I like Bunuel's work too, and although Viridiana is a very good film, and a delicious satire and middle finger to the Catholic church, I don't rate it among his best. I prefer his more surreal works... Simon of the Desert being one of my favourites of his.

Last edited by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs; 21st May 2016 at 07:17 PM.
Old 21st May 2016, 07:15 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Arty farty.

It's basically a character study and not so subtle dig at Catholicism by Bunuel, which tells the tale of a young novice nun, Viridiana, who pays a visit to her widowed uncle and attempts to maintain her Catholic principles amongst all the debauchery and lechery that is thrown her way. The Vatican denounced the film at the time and it is still as unflinching today. It's a film I'd definitely recommend seeking out - objectively speaking as much as subjectively.

I love Possession and have no issue with Adjani's character - the subway meltdown is one of my favourite scenes in the film. In comparsion, Shelley Duvall's character gets on my nerves in The Shining as she just seems to be there for the sole purpose of wailing and to be annoying. The portrayal of her character was one of the main issues Stephen King had with Kubrick's film.

I like Bunuel's work too, and although Viridiana is a very good film, and a delicious satire and middle finger to the Catholic church, I don't rate it among his best. I prefer his more surreal works... Simon of the Desert being one of my favourites of his.
To be fair to Shelley Duvall and Kubrick i don't find her character much different in the book.
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st May 2016, 11:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Fail-Safe (1964)

A series of computer errors sends a squadron of American bombers into Europe with the intention of launching nuclear missiles at Moscow.

Sydney Lumet's Cold War thriller is a real nail biter. Thought provoking and shocking and impeccably acted. Like the same years Doctor Strangelove, except this is no comedy, Fail-Safe is set almost entirely in the war rooms of the US president, here played with conviction by the always excellent Henry Fonda. A man having to battle his own conscience and anti Soviets among his chain of command. His scenes talking over the phone to the Soviet leader via interpreter Larry Hagman are terrific, challenging and full of tension.

I'm not going to spoil anything regarding the plot, but i'll finish by saying Fail-Safe is a genuine five star film and is highly recommended.

Like this? Share it using the links below!