Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:21 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I went there a couple of times as a child holidaying in Normandy and that story always stuck with me.

Perhaps the scene which I remember most from The Longest Day is when the soldiers communicate with 'clickers' and one loss GI thinks he has found another GI when someone answers from the other side of the hedge. I won't say any more in case someone hasn't seen the film and doesn't want this scene spoiled.
Yes!! I've been thinking only an hour or ago i forgot to mention that scene. Funny enough i can't stop thinking about the film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It happened in real life. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sainte-Mère-Église

Yes, that is a great sequence. Very memorable. The clickers sound just like ....

I think i'll watch The Longest Day again soon. These posts are getting me in the mood for it. Besides the 6th of June isn't a long way off.
I think i might try watching it again soon too. As much of a history lesson as anything. According to IMDB trivia (taken with a pinch of salt) Eisenhower walked out of the film after 15mins or so because he was frustrated with the inaccuracies. Also surprising how many actors in the film were actually involved in D-Day in real life. One of the actors abseiling up the cliff in the grappling hook scenes had actually done exactly that for real on D-Day.
keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd May 2016, 06:24 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

The weekend's viewings:

Orgy of the Dead (1965)

29/100

Sans Soleil (1983)

76/100

Johnny Got his Gun (1971)

74/100

Kill the Fatted Calf and Roast It (Uccidete il Vitello Grasso e Arrostitelo) (1970)

60/100

Night of Violence (Le notti della violenza) (1965)

55/100
Old 24th May 2016, 07:55 PM
Cultist in Training

Sleepaway Camp II and Bride of Re-Animator. SC from 88 Films looked good, movie wasn't too bad. Pretty gory I thought. Bride, from Arrow, looked great, and while not as good a movie as Stuart Gordon's original classic; Brian Yuzna's directorial efforts shine through for the most part. Bride is a good movie and a worthy sequel.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 25th May 2016, 10:32 AM
Cult Addict

Took my boy to see The Angry Birds Movie on the weekend. It was surprisingly good. Probably one of the best video game adaptations ive seen even if it is animation.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 25th May 2016, 12:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Crazy Six (1997, Albert Pyun)
Hey Banshee fans, wanna see a younger Ivana Milicevic? Otherwise avoid this turgid, drawn out bummer of a film. The Rob Lowe is in it. And Ice T. Seriously, it's not very good. like one of Frankie's films , but with "name" actors

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things (1972, Bob Clark)
Is it me, or does it now look like a more coherent Andy Milligan film?

The Wanderers (Philip Kaufman, 1979)
A film that I watched a lot by osmosis really, as twas either this, How Sleep the Brave or Inside Seka that people all seemed to have in the hazy, grainy VHS days. Whilst more of a drama than memory served, I still enjoyed this love letter to the 60s from PK. He certainly chucks it in there, Kennedy, Dylan, women's/civil rights all get a mention.

Child 44 (2015, Daniel Espinosa)
Sprawling 50s set Russian thriller (based on a novel). Tom Hardy and Gary Oldman trade accentz, but all in all tis worth a looksee.

The Haunted Palace (1963, Roger Corman)
Tried to ignore the 5 words of HPL in the script, and watch it as a film in its own right. Still a block here, as tis neither as good as House Of Usher or as thrilling. Meh.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th May 2016, 05:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Night of the Generals (1967)

Part giallo style murder mystery part adaptation of the events of Operation Valkyrie. This star studded mystery is an original war drama. Set in Poland and Paris, the bulk of the film concentrates on sadistic German General Tanz, played by a brilliant Peter O' Toole, a general who simply destroys whole neighbourhoods of Warsaw with his Panzer division when the resistance takes a pot shot at him on a city tour. He's one of three generals who can't reveal their whereabouts when a general was identified, or at least his trouser legs were, when a prostitute was brutally murdered. Omar Sharif's Major Grau investigates the murder as the girl was a German spy and vital to stopping the Polish resistance.

The Night of the Generals is a different sort of war film. There's no action barring Tanz's destruction of a Polish street. All the way through it has a vibe of decadence similar in ways to Cabaret(1972) and i'm sure it influenced the Eurocine films of the late 70's such as Fraulein Devil and Special Train for Hitler. It's this decadence, the feeling that the Germans can get away with anything that dominates the film making the whole thing quite seedy. O'Toole's seemingly detached from reality performance just adds to the grime.

The film has a terrific cast. Along with the aforementioned O'Toole and Sharif there's Charles Gray, Donald Pleasence, Christopher Plummer, Gordon Jackson, and Joanna Pettet among a cast of familiar faces from British film. As the plot unfolds and it transpires that two of the generals are involved in Valkyrie - the plot to kill Hitler as the Allies moved into Germany - then this takes centre stage over the giallo procedural aspects of tracking down the killer.

At two hours eighteen minutes the film is a touch too long. A good twenty minutes could easily have been shaved off and no one would notice, but on the whole The Night of the Generals is a nice blend of genres and an excellent piece of cinema.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg night_of_the_generals_xlg.jpg (93.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 26th May 2016, 05:43 PM
Cultist

Straight out of Compton: I liked it, but boy, it depicts Dr. Dre as being too goody goody. Like the other guys are spot on. Dr. Dre comes off as virtuous as Charlie from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Old 26th May 2016, 08:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

6.7/10

6.3/10

8.8/10
Old 27th May 2016, 08:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

9/10
Old 27th May 2016, 09:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear. It's nowhere near the same league as the original (one of the greatest comedy movies of all time) but it's still good for a laugh.

Like this? Share it using the links below!