All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179618Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2016, 03:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I went to watch X-Men yesterday as it was a Bank Holiday. Unfortunately it IS as bad as everyone has been saying. I can't put my finger on it, but there is bad CG, the script is bad (eye rolling bad at points) and some of the 'Oh aren't we clever' bits just made me cringe, such as Jean Grey and gang coming out of Return of the Jedi and saying "The third one is always the worst" and when Apocalypse was on the hunt for his 4 Horseman they had the Metallica song of the same name on the soundtrack.

Nightcrawler was pretty good though to be honest and I thought that the guy who played Scott Summers was decent as well, he had zero chemistry with Sophie Turner though, who was doing this odd attempt at an American accent but you could clearly hear her posh British accent behind everything she said.

Otherwise it was instantly forgettable and really didn't feel like a Bryan Singer movie at all.
All this xmen and superhero malarkey has never interested me, amount of people who watch these type of films and complain how bad they are doesn't convince none watchers to even think about watching films like these, only thing it does it makes me wonder why people keep torturing themselves to go cinema and watch these, when we know Hollywood has little interest in making a decent film and just wants to churn out as many as they can and as fast as they can. Its disrespectful to the fans of these films.
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st May 2016, 05:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
All this xmen and superhero malarkey has never interested me, amount of people who watch these type of films and complain how bad they are doesn't convince none watchers to even think about watching films like these, only thing it does it makes me wonder why people keep torturing themselves to go cinema and watch these, when we know Hollywood has little interest in making a decent film and just wants to churn out as many as they can and as fast as they can. Its disrespectful to the fans of these films.
The previous X-Men film was good, it was very good in fact, it was a surprise to everyone that this one wasn't very good. I'd read the bad reviews, but I'd also read some positive reviews so I wanted to give it the benefit of doubt and just go and make my own mind up.
Plus I hadn't seen a film all week and to make my unlimited card worth the money I need to go at least 3 times a month.
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 31st May 2016, 07:41 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Last week's viewings:

A Rather Complicated Girl (Una ragazza piuttosto complicata) (1969)

68/100

Terror-Creatures from the Grave (Cinq tombes pour un médium) (1965)

61/100

An Angel for Satan (Un angelo per Satana) (1966)

67/100

Blood is the Color of the Night (Kulay Dugo ang Gabi) (1964)

62/100

Black God, White Devil (Deus e o Diabo na Terra do Sol) (1964)

63/100

Discopathe (2014)

52/100

Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter (1966)

42/100

Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966)

24/100

Picture Mommy Dead (1966)

63/100

The She Beast (1966)

53/100

The Undertaker and His Pals (1966)

64/100

The Vulture (1967)

53/100

Lisztomania (1975)

73/100
Old 31st May 2016, 11:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
The previous X-Men film was good, it was very good in fact, it was a surprise to everyone that this one wasn't very good. I'd read the bad reviews, but I'd also read some positive reviews so I wanted to give it the benefit of doubt and just go and make my own mind up.
Plus I hadn't seen a film all week and to make my unlimited card worth the money I need to go at least 3 times a month.
How much are these cards and for which cinema?
Old 1st June 2016, 06:37 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
How much are these cards and for which cinema?

They are around £16-18 a month depending on where you live and which chain, mine is a small chain of cinema called The Light, but Cineworld and Odeon both do it too. I think it's great I try and see a film once a week after work.
I'm going to see Money Monster this evening. It makes me go and see stuff I wouldn't normally go to and I've seen some cracking good films because of it!

Old 1st June 2016, 01:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ahem.

Is it so wrong that I found Andreas Bianchi's Malabimba, The Malicious Whore (I admit it, I just like typing the title ha ha) sweetly charming, if a little rough around the edges? Whilst finding No Escape (Erick Dowdle, 2015) repellent on many levels?

Tonight
The Wayward Cloud
Johnny Guitar

Ahem.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st June 2016, 01:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

Tonight

Johnny Guitar

Ahem.
I tried to order this from HMV as i wanted to watch it last weekend. I received an email from them saying it was no longer available.

Seeing as it's doing the cinema rounds again (selected) i'm guessing it's going to get a bells and whistles HD release.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 1st June 2016, 01:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I tried to order this from HMV as i wanted to watch it last weekend. I received an email from them saying it was no longer available.

Seeing as it's doing the cinema rounds again (selected) i'm guessing it's going to get a bells and whistles HD release.
This was in the BRC next door ahem. Loved it since I saw it on Moviedrome, more identity crises haha. I see a theme emerging after all these years haha.
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st June 2016, 07:20 PM
Cult Veteran

I went to see the Jodie Foster directed Money Monster this evening. I didn't really know what to expect other than a 30 second clip I saw recently.

It ended up being a tense thriller set in real time. Starring George Clooney as a smarmy host of a financial news show and Julia Roberts as his director. All very romcom until a pissed off Jack O'Connell appears on set with a gun and a bomb. It turns out that a 'sure thing' that Clooney recommended bombed on Wall Street and Jack lost everything he had.

Suffers slightly from a loose beginning which tries to introduce the TV show, the big stock loss and the characters but soon enough it tightens up and the intensity increases.

So, not perfect but way better than I anticipated and at a little over 90 mins (I thought they forgot how to make a film under 120 mins) a great way to spend an evening.

Old 2nd June 2016, 06:43 AM
Cult Addict

Christ I have a load of films to review. Fallen behind so time to try and play catchup....

luther the geek

Luther is a geek, a sideshow attraction that bites of chickens heads. Luther has given up the lucrative world of the Carny in favour of being a serial killer and has his own modus operandi, false metal teeth he uses to rip out peoples throat's. After spending some time in Jail the parole board decides Luther is all better and releases him onto the streets where he promptly begins killing again. His latest murder spree takes him to an isolated farmhouse where a mother, her incredibly well endowed daughter and boyfriend are spending a weekend together. So begins a nasty game of cat and mouse.
I have to admit that this one had not been on my radar at all until Vinegar syndrome stuck it out on Blu-ray. I'm glad that I took a chance on it as its a terrific, fairly tense and nasty little horror that goes into some dark places. There is some decent levels of gore and Luther himself is odd enough to be memorable. The film also gets bonus points for the shower scene, how the daughters co-star remained 'professional' is beyond me as she has some great assetts..... ahem... well enough of my crudity, I highly reccomend this film!!!

Pigs

Another cracking release from Vinegar syndrome. Pigs, like Luther, had been under the Troma label prior to this and I've had the DVD release for some time. The film is not what it first seems. I bought the film initially thinking I was getting a killer pigs film, while I doubted it could be as good as Evil speak due to no clint howard I'm always up for some animal rampages. However the film is somewhat different. Its about a nutty bloke who owns a diner and feeds people to his pigs. It's said that each time the pigs eat someone another pig appears. A woman with 'issues' ends up working at his diner and kills some bloke after sex. Deciding to help the woman the diner owner feeds the victim to the pigs, however the sherrff is suspicious as things don't quide add up.
Pigs is a neat little southern gothic horror thats more about its characters and its occasional strange atmosphere. VS release looks amazing and is a real upgrade from the old Troma disc. Its also the directors original cut of the film. Again, reccomended.

Like this? Share it using the links below!