Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2016, 10:30 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Can not believe you think Star Wars is better than Satans Sadist...........
I almost bought Satan's Sadists a couple of weeks ago until i noticed who was behind it.
Old 14th June 2016, 12:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Eddie the eagle

Great British film done in true British style.
One man who believed in himself where no one else did, proves the fact no matter how many hurdles, knock backs, failures, etc if you believe in yourself then no matter how hard if you push yourself hard enough you can achieve you're dreams.
Even when at times he was slowly doubting himself and feeling sorry for himself and occasionaly felt like packing it in, he stood firm and proud, there was times you felt most people would have gave up long long ago, but with determination he achieved what he wanted to achieve even tho he knew deep down he was going to be a failure, all he wanted was to be part of some olympic team and he felt proud of himself that he achieved the best British score ever even tho its was shit and bismall, and moral of the story is never give up no matter what. And should feel proud of him just for that alone, i like the fact the film felt that it had to mention the Jamaican bob sleigh team, because both films where about achieving , I thought the film was entertaining and heartwarming with a hint of sadness. At times you felt like giving his dad a slap they way the constantly put him down. Lets be fair if my son wanted to achieve something no matter how impossible it was i wouldnt put him down, even if i thought he was stupid, i make some effort to believe in him even if was a fake believe, I for one certainly wouldnt put him down or laugh at him

Last edited by gag; 14th June 2016 at 08:30 AM.
Old 14th June 2016, 05:59 AM
Cult Rookie

I just watched the Umbrella release of the classic Ozploitation film, Nightmares and I was quite surprised at the quality of the print. The plot was a typical tale of a schizophrenic murderer, but it was well written and acted.

It's a keeper.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.

Last edited by Lust4Lassander; 14th June 2016 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 14th June 2016, 12:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Drive In (2000)

A deranged killer is on the loose at a drive-in horror all nighter.

Admittedly the premise sounds okay, nothing new but okay, however Drive-In is extremely poor due to it's execution. It seems it's partly a Troma film. Or they film makers had permission to use clips from Troma films on the drive-in screens which is why it all falters so badly. When a kill is taking place we see the Troma kill onscreen rather than the butchery in the film we are watching, making it all seem rather pointless but no doubt saving the producers quite a bit of money on gore effects. Added to this is some woeful acting and you have a really dire attempt at a slasher film.

Old 14th June 2016, 02:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
What did everyone make of The Revenant?
Hardy deserved the Oscar imho.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th June 2016, 02:53 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Hardy deserved the Oscar imho.
I agree, I was pissed that Leo got it when he was out-acted by almost everyone else - that's not to say he wasn't fantastic though because he was, but Will Poulter and Tom Hardy were better.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th June 2016, 08:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lethal Weapon

cant believe that its over a decade since i watched this last, a true classic that set Mel Gibson on the path to super stardom. one the best if not the best cop buddy movies. non stop action with just the right amount of humor. fantastic chemistry between Gibson And Glover that lifts it head and shoulders above most films of this type. but the its Gibson wide eyed and suicidal luntic with a deathwish the is the true star of the film(and gary busey villain) . just like Die hard this is a great xmas movie, hey it dosent feel like christmas until i see hans gruber falling of nakatomi plaza. 9.4/10

now watching Elvira mistress of the dark, probably followed by its sequel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (89.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2014-09-05-23h47m36s48.jpg (31.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg lw1b-clc-jkt2b.jpg (72.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 6114_4.jpg (84.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 3284034.jpg (96.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg lethalweapon1_01.jpg (89.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg lethal-weapon09.jpg (106.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg lw_busey.jpg (67.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg riggs_contemplates_suicide.jpg (15.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg tom attkins .jpg (17.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 15th June 2016, 05:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE – You can tell a guy has a phallus problem when his murder weapon of choice is a massive, massive drill. We don't really get to know the killer in 'Slumber Party Massacre' well enough to gain insight into any of his particular resentments, but it's also true that he doesn't appear to like young women, either. 'Slumber Party Massacre' has an interesting pedigree in that it was written by prominent feminist Rita Mae Brown, and was reportedly intended as a slasher parody before it ended up being taken literally by the studio. Watching it now, you can see an uneven mix of humour and leaden straightness up there on screen, but it never really comes across as the knowing deconstruction of the genre it may have started out as. In fact, the problem with 'Slumber Party Massacre' is that ultimately it's too formulaic to bring anything new to the slasher template, and also that it's too competent to let any unintentional back door weirdness in, unlike loads of badly made indies of the same era. It's entertaining enough, there's a bit of splatter and the killer is strangely refreshing in his slight blandness, but it also drags mid-section which is a bit of a no-no for a film which is under eighty minutes long. An inessential addition to the slasher cycle which could perhaps have been way more interesting given some of those involved, 'Slumber Part Massacre' is still no doubt worth checking out for completists.

FRONTIERE(S) – The streets of Paris blaze with gunfire as a carload of rioters escapes to the countryside. So begins 'Frontiere(s)', Xavier Gens' contribution to the French new wave of splatter, a cluster of movies which, in the early to mid noughties, matched stylistic slickness with a heavy emphasis on explicit gore. Whereas films like 'Martyrs' have carved out a foothold in the history of horror, 'Frontiere(s)' seems less likely to resist the genre's evolution, despite mananging to generate some controversy on its initial release. Before I slipped it on the other day, I remembered 'Frontiere(s)' as being quite gruelling, and certainly really violent. Although it possesses both of these qualities to an extent, it failed to grab me this time around, its transgressive swagger dulled by the years but also by longueurs intrinsic to the film. By the time we meet the apparently TCM inspired backwoods neo-nazis who serve as our villains we have aleady been through too much on screen drama, and the characters' descent into subjugation and depravity is somehow free of much tension. There's an interesting idea at the heart of 'Frontiere(s)', one which links national identity, authoritarianism and cannibalism, but it only seems partially exploited, and frankly a film which sets itself up on the back of national tensions around race and the resurgence of the far right is better off in a different genre... I mean, I'll be the last to say things like “keep politics out of horror”, but you can only go so far when very specific and real issues demand close examination, or rather at least a framework where the imaginary elements don't detract. Still, 'Frontiere(s)' offers an interesting and off-putting mix of contradictions, and is far from the usual anodyne genre product, so should certainly be seen.
Old 15th June 2016, 05:47 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Great analysis of Frontiere(s) there, Frankie.

It's certainly one of the more 'forgettable' entries in the French Extreme New Wave Horror cycle of that period and not one I feel myself compelled to revisit any time soon.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 15th June 2016, 05:53 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Great analysis of Frontiere(s) there, Frankie.

It's certainly one of the more 'forgettable' entries in the French Extreme New Wave Horror cycle of that period and not one I feel myself compelled to revisit any time soon.
It is a great write-up. I reviewed it prior to the DVD release and don't know if I have seen it since or, if I have, can't remember doing so.

I don't know about forgettable though, because I'm thinking of the scene involving bolt cutters and Achilles tendons as I write this!

Like this? Share it using the links below!