All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179478Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2016, 12:19 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Witchboard III: The Possession (1995)

Although padded out with quite a bit of character back story - Brian, an unemployed stockbroker trying to make some money and a cash loan that goes wrong, until a Ouija board comes into his possession (or should that be the other way round) and he starts to make money in the old bulls n' bears - Witchboard III is an effective little low budget horror film.

It's about half way through that things become nice and tasty. Brian now possessed by something that entered his body via Ouija dabbling, slicks back his hair and turns into a dastardly bastard, looking for the perfect mother to bear his demonic child. From then on the film is in overdrive.

There are effective stalk and slash sequences such as Brian attacking a naked woman in her apartment before she ends up sliced in two in the shower in a sequence reminiscent of Argento. The film adds to the decent gore quotient with several soft core sex scenes and a bonkers finale when the demon is forced out of Brian by his plucky wife, Julie, and goes on a monster rampage. In and among all the exploitative elements there are some quietly chilling moments where the real Brian appears before his wife in reflective surfaces such as mirrors. These sequences add a bit of originality to something that could have been derivative yet ends up being a rather enjoyable ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Witchboard_iii_the_possession-323429642-large.jpg (69.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 18th June 2016, 09:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Recent watch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11_22_63.jpg (66.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg MI0002453183.jpg (36.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Adulthood_poster.jpg (21.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Conjuring500px.jpg (87.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg fear-walking-dead-premiere.jpg (98.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 19th June 2016, 07:02 AM
Cult Addict

CHOCOLATE, STRAWBERRY, VANILLA.

Taxi Driver with crushed nuts and sprinkles. Highly recommended and worth seeking out.
Old 19th June 2016, 10:19 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

NEON MANIACS – If you're into rubbish films that wallow in their own stupidity, then you've probably already got a gold plated copy of 'Neon Maniacs' on your mantelpiece. It's about a load of monsters who live beneath the Golden Gate Bridge – don't ask me why. Don't ask the writer or director, they don't seem to have a clue either. But that's what I like about 'Neon Maniacs'. At base, it's just monsters having a go at people, no rhyme, no reason and no explanation. Their murderous exploits just seem sadistic, done for the thrill of the kill, and not driven by primeval need, unlike your average zombie / monster / whatever. Throw in some eighties shit – bad synth score, annoying teens dragged out in bad clothes, and that jewel in the crown of highschool explitation flicks, the battle of the bands on prom night, and you have, as they say, 'a winner' (but of what?). 'Neon Maniacs' feels like it was intended to be something else - maybe it was an attempt at a franchise that went wrong at the last minute. It feels like we should know more about these monsters, like they should have back stories and personalities or something, but in the end the money and the good will ran out and all that was left was the shoestring core of another bad movie. I also like the fact that the makers seem to waver between 'Neon Maniacs' being one of those eighties PG-13 homages to traditional monsterdom and a harder, 'sexier' gore flick.

KILL LIST – Along with everybody else I really like Ben Wheatley / Amy Jumps' quite singular vision of weird British cinema, which brings together the arcane with a kind of nouvelle vague kitchen sink realism. This is particularly true of 'Kill List', which starts out seeming like a slightly experimental Ken Loach film about domestic alienation in suburbia, then gradually blossoms into dark weirdness involving the occult. Just seen it again after maybe 4 ½ years, and I still really like it, but I guess it's just one of those films whose quality is obvious. Wheatley isn't afraid to be elliptical in his story telling, and at times it feels that all we're left with is shadows drawing ever nearer, something bringing the film's two protagonists to fates already decided as the dark closes in.

BLOOD SABBATH – A relic from that strange time at the beginning of the seventies, when a movie might conceivably have one foot in the 'anti-war art film' camp, and another in the grindhouse. 'Blood Sabbath' drifts by like a hippy day dream, and doesn't really give away much as it tells its story of a troubadour who comes to rest beside a river somewhere in Mexico. He discovers a village dominated by a coven led by Dyanne Thorne, then falls in love with a water nymph. Although it drags a little in places, at other times it's quite absorbing. There's something quite eerie and 'placeless' about it, as it it were some kind of fable told to you through a haze. Recommended for fans of the post-Nam, slightly trippy horror flick.

NIGHTBEAST – From the mighty Don Dohler. I must've reviewed this at least twice before, but it's the kind of film that has a definite allure. 'Nightbeast' is sort of what all those other VHS's in the video library of yore were meant to be like, but so often weren't – a collision of ultra-primitive laser effects, cringe inducing sex scenes, bad prosthetic gore and a monster in a disco outfit. The first twenty minutes or so is some kind of trash heaven, with the story bump-starting abruptly to life in a halo of practical effects conceived in someone's garage. As for the mid-section – well alright, it gets really boring, but at least there's that awful shag scene and someone's severed arm flopping on the floor. Whenever I watch it, I always come away thinking – does it ever really get any better than 'NightBeast'?
Old 19th June 2016, 10:24 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I really need to find a copy of Neon Maniacs and re-watch Kill List post haste!
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 19th June 2016, 01:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Deadpool (2016)

In an opening half hour which was like a breath of fresh air, i really thought i was going to agree with everyone else that Deadpool was the best thing since sliced bread. Action, sex, swearing, humour, and lots of in jokes, it was like a bat out of hell, swooping and shitting on all the superhero flicks that had gone before it.

But what the **** happened in the middle third? The origins section, the cancer battle, the endless treatment at the hands of faceless and pointless villains (only a few hours later i can't remember their character names or the actors who played them). The film hit the buffers at full speed and managed to become mind numbingly boring in mere seconds.

Fortunately the final third picked up again with the proper introduction of Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead (Did they actually name an X-Person after a Monster Magnet song?). All in all, Deadpool felt like the opening three episodes of a new Starz tv series where the second episode flagged after the first but picked up again in part 3.

Very good in places but also ever so slightly disappointing.

Old 19th June 2016, 01:11 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Interesting review. I really want to see Deadpool but, because it isn't going to be available on Lovefilm for some time, will probably be a blind buy rather than a rental.
Old 19th June 2016, 01:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Interesting review. I really want to see Deadpool but, because it isn't going to be available on Lovefilm for some time, will probably be a blind buy rather than a rental.
It's one i'll definitely watch again, more than once. When it's in full swing it's fantastic - gore, violence, laugh out loud comedy....
keirarts likes this.
Old 19th June 2016, 01:44 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's one i'll definitely watch again, more than once. When it's in full swing it's fantastic - gore, violence, laugh out loud comedy....
Sounds like my cup of tea, so to speak.
Old 19th June 2016, 03:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Deadpool (2016)

In an opening half hour which was like a breath of fresh air, i really thought i was going to agree with everyone else that Deadpool was the best thing since sliced bread. Action, sex, swearing, humour, and lots of in jokes, it was like a bat out of hell, swooping and shitting on all the superhero flicks that had gone before it.

But what the **** happened in the middle third? The origins section, the cancer battle, the endless treatment at the hands of faceless and pointless villains (only a few hours later i can't remember their character names or the actors who played them). The film hit the buffers at full speed and managed to become mind numbingly boring in mere seconds.

Fortunately the final third picked up again with the proper introduction of Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead (Did they actually name an X-Person after a Monster Magnet song?). All in all, Deadpool felt like the opening three episodes of a new Starz tv series where the second episode flagged after the first but picked up again in part 3.

Very good in places but also ever so slightly disappointing.

Im like a vast majority of people and dont follow comics and superheros, so film like this to me are blind to what the characters are about, so if no expectation to the film then Really cant be disappointed, only like or dislikes, personally i liked it but at same time nothing to write home about, only thing that annoys me is the plain and utter stupidity comedy clips that doesnt fit in our work in any comedy, eg when action in full swing cars flipping etc and then he says, might get this bit wrong but something along lines of.. Woh stop, its kinda pauses he says did i i turn the cooker of? Then carries on again, i hate that style of humour just stupid pathetic and doesnt work but thats just my opinion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!