LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th February 2010, 05:38 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Long Weekend

The original, that is...I haven't seen it since I was a kid, and then BBC p&S prints.

Well, it is certainly as atmospheric as I remembered, in fact, I think it is actually creepier than I recalled. I was surprised at the strength of the two lead performances which had not stuck in my mind for some reason - Briony Behets and John Hargreaves are outstanding. I think this is a superb film, one of Australia's best chillers and the Optimum disk is pretty damned good - a beautiful crisp full 'scope presentation with just a few transfer artifacts from time to time (not often). Through my upsampler it looked amazing. A must!

Wake In Fright

I have been wanting to see this film for many, many years and finally there is a Region 4 release of the beautiful restoration. The picture quality is breath-taking (some of the restoration comparison clips on the extras are unbelievable!) and this is a very, very, very good film. I think it does deserve its reputation as a classic of Australian art. Certainly the best thing I have ever seen from Ted Kotcheff by a long way with utterly amazing acting from the entire cast. Just brilliant with the one flaw (?) being the ambiguity of a key flashback scene at the end. There is something this film is famous for that I am not entirely convinced occurs in the film! I suppose this might be success rather than flaw as it might be what Kotcheff was going for. WIthout going into spoilers it's hard to elucidate, I'm afraid! Anyway, this is a truly masterful films that should now, after the search and restoration, be watched and appreciated by many. The Kangaroo hunt sequence is very strong stuff for those who find it hard to watch scenes of animal death.
Long Weekend is an incredible film! I really enjoyed it last time I saw it. Think a revisit is in order!

Wake In Fright sounds great, Goj. I'll have to check that one out.
Old 19th February 2010, 06:30 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak View Post
"Cabin Fever 2" -
Not bad. Starts off slow but engaging. But then loses it's way during the Prom, until things pick up again.
Some nicely gross moments involving various body fluids, lost of blood but only some (though strong) gore.

Some of the FX are dubious (awful latex finger and chest piece) while some are very good (head smashing and drippy cock), but the end is weak and anti-climactic with a tagged on piece that's too long, though leads to an okay pay-off during the animated credits.

Nothing special, weak ending, but has enough gross moments and interesting characters (who are not as obnoxious as those in the first film) to make a good rental.
I was impressed by this too, especially after seeing a cheap looking trailer and reading about how troubledt he production was. Overall I was very happy with it, had a great 80's teen sex comedy vibe to it, perhaps I was just in the right frame of mind when I watched it but I had a huge grin on my face from start to finish.

Though I agree that the ending certainly dragged on longer than it should have, but it was worth while in my opinion!
Old 19th February 2010, 11:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Lucky - Weird but enjoyable low budget oddity from Brain Damage. The plot revolves around the relationship between an alcoholic, reculsive writer and his talking/telepathic dog which sounds ludicrous but actually hangs together pretty well! The unreliable narration from the main character works well and the low budget feel adds to the bleak and grimy atmosphere IMO ... no classic but worth checking out!
Old 20th February 2010, 01:33 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Just seen The Collector (2009)

Was a pretty cool flick, dont know how I feel about the ending.
The traps and stuff was cool and story was average and acting was ok too.
You guys should check it out

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 20th February 2010, 06:42 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
Wake In Fright sounds great
Not seen it myself, but it was reviewed for VideoVista - Wake in Fright.

I watched Russell Mulcahy's attempted modern noir Give ’em Hell, Malone (on DVD & blu-ray from 8th March), and it has a few moments of horror in the brutish fights and crazy shoot-outs, where Thomas Jane's titular hero is hardboiled enough to shrug off mortal injury like a flesh wound.
“Suck my Sinatra!” says one of the bad guys.
Old 20th February 2010, 04:03 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Cripes! Is Russell Mulcahy still making films? Sad news.
Old 20th February 2010, 09:00 PM
Ex-member

Default 'What films have you seen recently?'‏

Just watched SUSPIRIA on blu ray
Brilliant! A landmark horror given excellent treatment on hi-def
Only one snag, concerning the featurettes...Cine-Excess/Nouveaux should of not been windowboxed them
Otherwise an execllent commentary and of course a brilliant horror
Old 21st February 2010, 09:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

"Road Flower" (AKA The Road Killers)
I forgot just how bad this Christopher Lambert film was as I haven't seen it for years. The fact that it had several titles and was held up in limbo for a few years should give you some idea of what to expect. At times this is violent in the extreme but it also contains some desperately bad acting all round, especially from Lambert himself and lead psychotic Craig Sheffer. Josh Brolin and David Arquette make early appearances playing prominent supporting roles but are terrible also. Basically in this tale of kidnap, murder and revenge on a desert highway things like logic and sense are completely thrown out in favour of sensationalistic action and full on violence. There is one scene where a character gets burnt alive trapped in his car that remains difficult to watch even today and does pack an emotional punch, but otherwise the overall effect is unintentionally comic. The ending is a classic though but happens too quickly. Fun if you get something out of bad movies (As I often do.), but not one to watch otherwise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Road Flower.jpg (3.3 KB, 4 views)

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 21st February 2010, 11:27 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak View Post
"Hush"
http://www.beardyfreak.com/rvhush.php

Low key but very effective, well made thriller/horror from Britain that has some excellent moments and a plot that manages to avoid most of the pitfalls such an idea (kidnapping by a mysterious lorry on a motorway) brings up (Cops, CCTV, other cars/people) better than the slightly similar "Shuttle" did.

Nothing groundbreaking, but very well crafted, acted and satisfying.
I rented this on your recommendation and what a little gem this is. At last, a thriller that genuinely had me on the edge of my seat. I loved everything about it, camera work, acting and realistic characters. In fact it's the first thriller that is entirely believable, everything people said and did was precisely what I think anybody would say and do in those extreme circumstances. I didn't find myself shouting "What the hell are you doing?" at the TV, which I'm sure we've all done over and over again.
I honestly can't wait to see what else this director brings out and I will be buying this on payday for sure.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 21st February 2010, 11:56 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Saw The Beacon last night. Its a indie ghost story flick. It was pretty good although wasnt creepy and lacked the atmoosphere which was its downfalls. Acting and story were good but dont expect too much from it.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr

Like this? Share it using the links below!