Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th July 2016, 10:06 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Loved all his films upto Death proof, wasnt overly keen.
Havent watched inglorious Bastards for some reason i dont know why im just not that interested in watching it and from what ive seen hasnt convinced me otherwise.
Django unchained i was extremely disappointed, and bored senseless with h8ful eight
Yeah Death Proof is rubbish. I love Inglorious and Django Unchained.
Old 8th July 2016, 10:36 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Broken Arrow. John Travolta and Christian Slater are military pilots taking a nuclear-capable aircraft for a test flight when Travolta goes rogue, ejecting Slater and crashing the craft with the intention of stealing the nukes and then selling them back to the US government for lots and lots and lots of money. As the government tries to figure out what's going on Slater is left with no option but to try to stop Travolta and his band of mercenaries, aided only by a feisty park ranger (Samantha Mathis). This mid 90s action flick is great fun, with Travolta chewing the scenery most entertainingly as the utterly loony villain and Slater and Mathis making for likeable heroes, together with plenty of great stunts and action sequences. Haven't seen this for donkeys years, but a hoot!
I don't know why I have only seen this once and don't own it on any format. It is something which could easily be perceived as a 'guilty pleasure', but is actually a fairly well made and hugely enjoyable action thriller.
Old 8th July 2016, 10:57 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I don't know why I have only seen this once and don't own it on any format. It is something which could easily be perceived as a 'guilty pleasure', but is actually a fairly well made and hugely enjoyable action thriller.
Its a pity John Woo didn't make more US films. They are all pretty good, Face/Off in particular being awesome.
Old 8th July 2016, 11:04 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Its a pity John Woo didn't make more US films. They are all pretty good, Face/Off in particular being awesome.
I'm not a fan of John Woo at all. Yes his films (US) are good (Hard Target being the best) but they are like a check list of cliches as well.

Doves
Motorbike duels
Weird hand running down face gestures
Slow motion action
Two protagonists each holding two guns on opposite sides of a wall before diving out firing at each other... it's all a bit Naked Gun in my opinion.

Old 8th July 2016, 11:27 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm not a fan of John Woo at all. Yes his films (US) are good (Hard Target being the best) but they are like a check list of cliches as well.

Doves
Motorbike duels
Slow motion action
Two protagonists each holding two guns on opposite sides of a wall before diving out firing at each other... it's all a bit Naked Gun in my opinion.

I quite like those clichés/tropes which are a little like in jokes to let you know you're watching a Jon Woo film!

I'd forgotten about Face/Off, which is a film I really enjoyed, but haven't seen for many years. That said, I much prefer his Hong Kong films (especially those with Chow Yun Fat) to the American ones.

I know it's not exactly an action film, more a historical epic, but Red Cliff is a masterpiece.
keirarts and Deadite like this.
Old 8th July 2016, 11:28 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I quite like those clichés/tropes which are a little like in jokes to let you know you're watching a Jon Woo film!

I'd forgotten about Face/Off, which is a film I really enjoyed, but haven't seen for many years. That said, I much prefer his Hong Kong films (especially those with Chow Yun Fat) to the American ones.

I know it's not exactly an action film, more a historical epic, but Red Cliff is a masterpiece.
Red Cliff's run time puts me off.
Old 8th July 2016, 11:35 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Imprint (2006)

Takashi Miike’s excellent Masters of Horror episode that’s possibly the best one of the entire series.

**** out of *****

Blood Rage (1987)

This was a viewing of the composite cut; the most complete version of the film.

*** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 8th July 2016, 11:36 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Red Cliff's run time puts me off.
I can understand why, because it does require a sizeable commitment of time and mental energy to spend over four hours in front of a screen reading subtitles. However, it is worth it because the film is brilliant and I sometimes forgot I was watching something in a foreign language with subtitles because I was so engrossed in the characters, the story, and incredible set pieces.

It has been a while, but I think it has an intermission so it can be watched in two halves, allowing you a few minutes to go to the loo, stock up on refreshments and mentally recharge before the rest of the movie.
Old 8th July 2016, 11:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I can understand why, because it does require a sizeable commitment of time and mental energy to spend over four hours in front of a screen reading subtitles. However, it is worth it because the film is brilliant and I sometimes forgot I was watching something in a foreign language with subtitles because I was so engrossed in the characters, the story, and incredible set pieces.

It has been a while, but I think it has an intermission so it can be watched in two halves, allowing you a few minutes to go to the loo, stock up on refreshments and mentally recharge before the rest of the movie.
The blu-ray i have has the film split into two parts each on its own disc. Only seen the first part so far, which is brilliant. I was invested in the characters in the first 5 minutes.
Old 8th July 2016, 11:46 AM
Cult Master

Quote:

Doves
Motorbike duels
Slow motion action
You forgot a character flying horizontally through the air, shooting two guns at the same time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic713 - woo.jpg (18.9 KB, 1 views)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!