Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th July 2016, 06:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Cut and Run (Inferno in diretta, aka Live from Hell) (1985, Italy)

Cut and Run 1985 Inferno in diretta

Are you a fan of Cannibal Holocaust,but hated all the animal violence,then Inferno in diretta is definitely for you, i mean we hate cruelty to animals,but love a bare chested Michael Berryman hacking and a slashing his way through the green inferno. Lisa Blount as Fran Hudson a hard nosed TV journalist and her cameraman sidekick go on the trail of the drug cartels operating out of South America.On one side you have John Steiner as Vlado and on the other side is Richard Lynch as Colonel Brian Horne ex member of Jim Jones fan club and all round bad guy,and helped by hench man for hire Michael Berryman as Quecho,a sadistic machete wielding assassin.On top of this is Richard Bright as Bob Allo,the head of the TV studio,who has a son Willie Aames as Tommy Allo mixed up and caught in the middle of the drug wars. Mixing action and adventure with the violent and horrific horror we have all come to love with any Ruggero Deodato film,Inferno in diretta is pretty much a non stop action fest. Deodato does not let his audience down,Berryman hacks heads off ,and generally sticks his big chopper into anything that moves.John Steiner comes to a very sticky end ,in what must be one of the most groin aching effects ever ,as he is ripped in half by two trees,spilling his guts into the jungle.Of course it would not be a Deodato movie without a few south American tribesmen running around in loin cloths and screaming into the camera like they have just stepped onto a piece of lego in there bare feet.There's very little in the way of moralising,as Deodata is to busy showing us how much fun it is running drugs and slaughtering all and sundry. Even poor old Colonel Brian Horne gets his comeuppance in the end as he gives the TV viewers a live beheading .Eli Roth wishes he was this good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cut_and_run_poster_01.jpg (100.3 KB, 2 views)

Old 10th July 2016, 09:53 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I briefly studied the experiment last year and read Philip Zimbardo's book 'The Lucifer Effect' (highly recommended if this has piqued your interest), so will add this to my Lovefilm rental queue or buy it. It certainly looks better than Das Experiment, the Oliver Hirschbiegel film from 2001; I haven't seen the 2010 remake directed by Paul T. Scheurings, but I'll check that one out as well.
Looking forward to this one. I've seen both of the films you mentioned, and both were worth a one-time watch, I guess, but nothing special. Thanks for the book recommendation -- I'll definitely check it out! I've always been fascinated with stuff like this.
Old 10th July 2016, 10:11 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post
Looking forward to this one. I've seen both of the films you mentioned, and both were worth a one-time watch, I guess, but nothing special. Thanks for the book recommendation -- I'll definitely check it out! I've always been fascinated with stuff like this.
If you like that, then I also recommend Obedience to Authority: An Experimental View by Stanley Milgram, the psychologist who developed the obedience test in which people eventually delivered lethal electronic shocks to someone because they were told to by an authority figure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment
Justin101 and JamesN like this.
Old 10th July 2016, 10:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Ive got my eldest daughter until Wednesday and she wanted to watch The Visit. She's grounded.

Allegedly a return to form for M. Night Shamalalangadingdong, the film had its moments but they were fleeting and between scares you have to put up with two ridiculously annoying kids.

Avoid.
Old 10th July 2016, 11:57 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
Ive got my eldest daughter until Wednesday and she wanted to watch The Visit. She's grounded.

Allegedly a return to form for M. Night Shamalalangadingdong, the film had its moments but they were fleeting and between scares you have to put up with two ridiculously annoying kids.

Avoid.
I only found one kid to be annoying. But boy was he annoying snot nosed googly eyed little rapping bastard!
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 11th July 2016, 12:04 AM
Seasoned Cultist

That little bastard made my teeth itch.
J Harker likes this.
Old 11th July 2016, 03:48 AM
Cult Acolyte

Central Intelligence. Kevin Hart is an unhappy middle aged accountant whose impromptu reunion with a high school classmate he barely knows (Dwayne Johnson) somehow lands him in the middle of a deadly CIA conflict. Mildly entertaining action-comedy marred only by a few of the more irritating "modern comedy" tropes.
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th July 2016, 07:58 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
If you like that, then I also recommend Obedience to Authority: An Experimental View by Stanley Milgram, the psychologist who developed the obedience test in which people eventually delivered lethal electronic shocks to someone because they were told to by an authority figure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

There is also a Veronica Mars episode which 'does' the Stanton Prison Experiment quite well and surprisingly brutal for a teen drama, I forget the episode name but I'll look it up when I'm in work, I think it's season 3 anyway.

EDIT::

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Big...reek_Rush_Week Season 3 Episode 2
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Last edited by Justin101; 11th July 2016 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11th July 2016, 10:21 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Link (1986)

A young student (Elizabeth Shue) goes to work as an assistant to animal researcher Terence Stamp who's work with chimpanzees is reaching a conclusion. On arrival she meets Link, one of three resident chimps, even though he's actually an Orangutan, who's intelligence means he dresses and acts like Stamp's butler. Following a glorious half hour in the company of a slightly dotty Stamp, things begin to unravel when he goes missing and Shue finds she's alone in the old cliff top mansion with only the primates for company.

Australian director Richard Franklin's film is fast paced with an energy and vibrancy that you don't often feel in modern films. His death age just 58 was a loss to the horror genre as in my opinion he had an excellent CV of diverse genre films including Psycho II (1983) and Road Games (1981. Franklin frames his shots beautifully in a film full of unusual camera angles.

There's a realism to Link that you won't find in Planet of the Apes (Humans dressed as apes) or it's two recent re-imaginations (All computer generated), that realization the apes are actually performing in this film and interacting with humans. In fact great credit must be handed to Shue and Stamp as it really cannot have been easy and possibly quite dangerous at times even though the apes were well trained. However they convince, especially Shue in showing us the threat from these primates is real and not just a chimps tea party. It also proves compelling viewing and completely grounded in reality. Link himself, the Orangutan dressed as a chimp dressed as a butler is brilliant. Endearing yet also steadily unnerving. The look on his face as he discovers a nude Shue about to take a bath is rather frightening as you can quite easily fathom what he's thinking about. The second half, thanks to a combination of great acting, superb filming and terrific simians, is a tour-de-force of psycho horror cinema with an extremely sinister final shot.

If anyone wants to pick up a delightfully quirky and wildly entertaining horror thriller from the Network sale then look no further than Link. At only £3.49 it's a steal.

Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg link1.jpg (87.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 11th July 2016, 12:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Ninth configuaration

Looking lovely on Blu-ray, william peter blatty's meditation on faith and the existance of god is still an odd bird even after numerous views. There are no definitive cuts of the film but the one here comes closest to the best version. Its a comedic, almost absurdist film that also strays into exteme grief and trauma that can also feel a little heavy. Its set in a strange gothic castle somewhere in America, a place that cannot exist and feels like a setting to a traditional gothic horror where a new doctor played by Stacey Keach comes to take charge. I don't want to say too much for those who haven't seen it but I would definitely reccomend checking it out.

Warcraft

Wile not as confusing, messy or disjointed as the execrable Batman V superman this sword and sorcery 'epic' relies too much on a knowledge of the game and can feel a little confusing to someone who has wandered in knowing nothing. characters wander in and out of the plot and I would genuinely struggle to explain who half of them are. The effects are problematic in places and actually took me out of the film in places. Plus when you realise your being sold the trailer to a franchise its a little irritating. I wish they had removed some of the characters, thrown some T&A in its place and sold it as a throwback to some of the corman era trash classics.

Hate that UK cover though, makes it look like a slasher haha. Maaad film. Hail Caesar!!
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!