Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st July 2016, 02:05 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Right then Plato, firstly if Megan Fox needs a slapping then I'm your man. Cos lets be honest, slap and spank aren't that far apart. And if she was a "superhero slut" should the film not have been amazing???
If only...
Old 31st July 2016, 09:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've only watched my dvd once. I did enjoy it though, time for a rewatch i think.

Never seen The Collection.

The Teardrop influence grows ever stronger.
I prefer The Collection to the The Collector tbh. Both are pretty good films though.
Old 31st July 2016, 01:16 PM
Cult Addict

Bone Tomahawk.

Finally got around to watching this yesterday. When a suspicious drifter strolls into the inn in the pleasant frontier town of Bright Hope, Kurt Russell's, Sheriff Hunt decides to question the man, shooting him in the leg when he tries to flee. Sticking him in a cell the Sheriff sends Bruder to fetch the towns female doctor. Leaving the doctor, the prisoner and a deputy at the station the Sheriff heads home to his wife. Next morning all three are missing and a local stablehand is found butchered. A local indian guide identifies arrows found at the scene as belonging to a small remote cave dwelling tribe in the mountains a few days trek from Bright Hope. Sheriff Hunt, his deputy Chicory (a fantastic turn from Richard Jenkins) Brooder and the docs crippled husband Arthur set off on a rescue mission. So far so Searchers. Except here is where things get interesting. These aren't your average cliche Western redskins. These things are bloody scary, barely human and a genuinely unnerving sight to behold. S.Craig Zahlers western/horror is deserving of every bit of hype its recieved, from the opening scene, to the climax this film contains some of the most disturbing scenes I've seen in a long time. Performancea across the board are pitch perfect, especially as I've said Richard Jenkins as old timer Deputy Chicory a man still mourning the loss of his wife and determined to be more than just an old man. It takes obvious inspiration from Fords supposed classic The Searchers though it pisses all over it in the process, but then so does Police Academy 5 as far as I'm concerned. There's more than a nod to The Hills Have Eyes here too. Brilliant brilliant film that isn't scared to take its time getting where it's going, highly recommended.

Last edited by J Harker; 31st July 2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 31st July 2016, 09:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bad moon

Fantastic werewolf movie that I recommend to any one who likes gore, horror and werewolf's. At just over 80 minutes it felt even shorter because of the fast pace. Some great effects and gore. But the star of the film is not the the gore,the werewolf or even the human stars but Thor the German Shepard who becomes his family's protector against the werewolf . 9.2/10

Next up after the episode of eureka I'm watching is black roses. Which I've not seen before so peoples views on it would be welcome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BadMoonDVD.jpg (31.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 31st July 2016, 10:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just watched Cherry Falls which i bought last week. I quite enjoyed it actually. A decent enough slasher movie that for some reason is marketed as a hilarious comedy/horror, yet hardly tries to raise a titter, let alone create one. The funniest bit was almost the last shot of the movie. Still, it does a good job of making most of the cast suspicious at one time or another during its lean 85 minute run-time. Not a comedy/horror like advertised, just a high-school slasher with one or two amusing bits that might actually be the better for not living up to its blurb.
Old 31st July 2016, 11:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Just watched Cherry Falls which i bought last week. I quite enjoyed it actually. A decent enough slasher movie that for some reason is marketed as a hilarious comedy/horror, yet hardly tries to raise a titter, let alone create one. The funniest bit was almost the last shot of the movie. Still, it does a good job of making most of the cast suspicious at one time or another during its lean 85 minute run-time. Not a comedy/horror like advertised, just a high-school slasher with one or two amusing bits that might actually be the better for not living up to its blurb.
It's heavily cut, don't know if you knew. You can't get an uncut version unfortunately.

Still it's a good film all the same.
Old 31st July 2016, 11:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
It's heavily cut, don't know if you knew. You can't get an uncut version unfortunately.

Unless they cut some jokes out, still doesn't make it a comedy horror like it says on the tin!

Yeah, you can tell there's some cuts. To be honest, what's left is pretty tame. I enjoyed it though.
Old 1st August 2016, 05:49 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Unless they cut some jokes out, still doesn't make it a comedy horror like it says on the tin!

Yeah, you can tell there's some cuts. To be honest, what's left is pretty tame. I enjoyed it though.
The Real Story Behind 'Cherry Falls' - Bloody Disgusting!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 1st August 2016, 08:17 AM
Cult Addict

Death Line. 1972 (?) Gary Sherman.

A young couple find a man collapsed in the tube station, they report the man to a police officer but on returning down to the platform the man is gone. Turns out a few people have disappeared in this particular part of the underground but because this lastest man happens to be an important civil servant things start getting taken seriously. As events unfold it turns out a cannibal descended from workers trapped during a roof collapse a century earlier is living in the abandoned tunnels.
First time for me this grisly early 70's Brit horror. Donald Pleasance stars as the investigating inspector and is great as ever with an odd quirky performance. The cannibal himself only referred to as 'The Man' in the credits is played by relatively unknown Hugh Armstrong and gives an interesting turn as a somewhat sympathetic creation, prowling the tube at night for victims/food in the only way he's ever known. Given his ancestors were abandoned by a government that didn't want to spend the money and resources digging them out it could be argued that 'The Man' is actually yet another man made monster. The London Underground is also a great setting and I'm fascinated by the reality that there apparently miles of abandoned tunnels and stations down there. So all in all a very good film and while Network's dvd isn't awful a decent blu or even a remastered dvd with some nice extras would be welcomed.
Old 1st August 2016, 08:52 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Death Line. 1972 (?) Gary Sherman.

A young couple find a man collapsed in the tube station, they report the man to a police officer but on returning down to the platform the man is gone. Turns out a few people have disappeared in this particular part of the underground but because this lastest man happens to be an important civil servant things start getting taken seriously. As events unfold it turns out a cannibal descended from workers trapped during a roof collapse a century earlier is living in the abandoned tunnels.
First time for me this grisly early 70's Brit horror. Donald Pleasance stars as the investigating inspector and is great as ever with an odd quirky performance. The cannibal himself only referred to as 'The Man' in the credits is played by relatively unknown Hugh Armstrong and gives an interesting turn as a somewhat sympathetic creation, prowling the tube at night for victims/food in the only way he's ever known. Given his ancestors were abandoned by a government that didn't want to spend the money and resources digging them out it could be argued that 'The Man' is actually yet another man made monster. The London Underground is also a great setting and I'm fascinated by the reality that there apparently miles of abandoned tunnels and stations down there. So all in all a very good film and while Network's dvd isn't awful a decent blu or even a remastered dvd with some nice extras would be welcomed.
Excellent 70s flick.

Like this? Share it using the links below!