All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179625Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd August 2016, 04:34 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
What are you actually insinuating?

A film you haven't seen (The Dressmaker) puts you off another film you haven't seen (The Witch).
A film that looks awful (The Dressmaker) puts me off one that looks brilliant (The Witch) when a trusted expert such as yourself rates them so close together. Plus i bought The Dressmaker for Mrs Harker a few weeks back, even she didn't think much of it and she likes some rubbish. But yeah...i haven't seen either so I'll shut up now. Go post some indecipherable bollocks in the bananas thread....
keirarts likes this.
Old 3rd August 2016, 04:51 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
A film that looks awful (The Dressmaker) puts me off one that looks brilliant (The Witch) when a trusted expert such as yourself rates them so close together. Plus i bought The Dressmaker for Mrs Harker a few weeks back, even she didn't think much of it and she likes some rubbish. But yeah...i haven't seen either so I'll shut up now. Go post some indecipherable bollocks in the bananas thread....
The fact that your wife didn't think much of it should offer you hope then.

Does she like spaghetti revenge westerns? as it's closer to them or Tarantino than it is any rom-com
Old 3rd August 2016, 05:31 PM
Cult Addict

Jason Bore

Oh god, sorry... Jason Bourne

Imagine the previous Bourne films. Then surgically extract things like plot, character development. Craft an a-z global trek based around talking points for Guardian readers and you have the film. In fairness the action films were fairly decent but Paul greengrass's shakey docu-style seems to gone into overdrive and the whole film feels like it was shot on a boat in a hurricane before being edited by J harker after a week off the scotch .
Old 3rd August 2016, 05:36 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

Does she like spaghetti revenge westerns? as it's closer to them or Tarantino than it is any rom-com
Nope. But you yourself once suggested she clearly had better taste in films than i did.
Old 3rd August 2016, 07:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
If you had to give the individual films/stories scores, what would they be?
I probably should’ve rated each part to begin with, as yeah they're completely unrelated films apart from being adapted from works by Edgar Allan Poe. I think I’d just give each film a *** out of ***** as it’s just a matter of having to choose one over the other if I was forced to choose which would be for me ‘The Black Cat’. Having Harvey Keitel as its lead helps. Both films are pretty good but neither is some of the filmmakers’ best work but they're very enjoyable.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 3rd August 2016, 07:53 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

In my defense the packaging hardly makes this look like a Tarantinoesque spag revenge western. I thought it looked like The Notebook or Dear John. One of those Nicolas Sparks romance jobs.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Last edited by J Harker; 3rd August 2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 3rd August 2016, 07:55 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Jason Bore

Oh god, sorry... Jason Bourne
Paul greengrass's shakey docu-style seems to gone into overdrive and the whole film feels like it was shot on a boat in a hurricane before being edited by J harker after a week off the scotch .
keirarts likes this.
Old 3rd August 2016, 08:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Secret of my success

Great feel good comedy starring Michael J Fox as I young man that moves to new York to try to get a job in big business. After a number of failures he managers to get a job from his uncle but that's only in the mail room, he is soon suduced by his aunt and ends up taking over on empty office and pretending that he is an executive. Soon he falls for a young woman ( Helen Slater) who is having an affair with his uncle who is head of the company, which is ripe for a hostel take over . 8/10

Night of the demon

Despite its age its a fantastically chilling and atmospheric movie. A scientist is sent from america to England tos disprove the paranormal and a satanic cult, he soon has doubts when the leader of the cult curses him with a demon that will kill him in a few days. 9.3/10

Next tonight

Space children
Witch Hunt (1994)

Last edited by trebor8273; 3rd August 2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 3rd August 2016, 08:19 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
In my defense the packaging hardly makes this look like Tarantinoesque spag revenge western. I thought it looked like The Notebook or Dear John. One of those Nicolas Sparks romance jobs.
Yeah, from that cover I wouldn't have given it a second glance. However, thanks to Dem's review it's now on my rental list.
Old 3rd August 2016, 08:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah, from that cover I wouldn't have given it a second glance. However, thanks to Dem's review it's now on my rental list.
It's not an awful lot different to the Near Dark UK cover.

Like this? Share it using the links below!