Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th February 2010, 09:30 PM
Active Cultist

The Tournament. First time I've seen it but think I've seen this movie 6 times in the past few years but with various casts. Decent fun, though.
Old 26th February 2010, 09:34 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I've still to see Orphan 42nd. It's one of those films that has had really mixed reviews, but I still want to watch it - if not only for the twist ending!
Old 26th February 2010, 09:36 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I had a bizarre double bill of Fulci's Perversion Story and then Meatball Machine tonight.
Old 26th February 2010, 09:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
I had a bizarre double bill of Fulci's Perversion Story and then Meatball Machine tonight.
Random.

Were they any good?

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 26th February 2010, 09:47 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
Random.

Were they any good?
I really like Perversion Story, I know it might sound weird but it doesn't feel like a Fulci film though. Plenty of kink (mainley thanks to Marisa Mell ) and some red herrings along the way; plus you gotta dig that groovy soundtrack! I have the Severin US release and they give you the soundtrack CD as a bonus disc - I'm listening to it now.

Meatball Machine is an oddity - it fits into the new-wave of Japanese Gore-no, in a similar vein to films like Machine Girl and Tokyo Gore Police - but is not as good imo. Some good and gorey OTT splatter action, but it does drag in parts, which makes it feel a tad overlong. Mindless fun though!
Old 26th February 2010, 10:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I really like Perversion Story, I know it might sound weird but it doesn't feel like a Fulci film though. Plenty of kink (mainley thanks to Marisa Mell ) and some red herrings along the way; plus you gotta dig that groovy soundtrack! I have the Severin US release and they give you the soundtrack CD as a bonus disc - I'm listening to it now.

Meatball Machine is an oddity - it fits into the new-wave of Japanese Gore-no, in a similar vein to films like Machine Girl and Tokyo Gore Police - but is not as good imo. Some good and gorey OTT splatter action, but it does drag in parts, which makes it feel a tad overlong. Mindless fun though!
Most of Fulci's late 60's early 70's films are excellent and no dobut PS will be just as good as the others. Who composed the soundtrack?

I have heard a few negative comments about MM so I think I'll give it a miss. (for now anyway)

Old 26th February 2010, 10:14 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
Most of Fulci's late 60's early 70's films are excellent and no dobut PS will be just as good as the others. Who composed the soundtrack?

I have heard a few negative comments about MM so I think I'll give it a miss. (for now anyway)
Riz Ortolani - This is definitely one of his best works (that I've heard) too.

As for MM, it borrows heavily from Japanese Cyberpunk so can be a bit trying if you're not in the mood. Last time I watched it I couldn't really be bothered with it and switched off about half-an-hour in. I fared much better this time and made it all the way through!
Old 26th February 2010, 10:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

As for MM, it borrows heavily from Japanese Cyberpunk so can be a bit trying if you're not in the mood. Last time I watched it I couldn't really be bothered with it and switched off about half-an-hour in. I fared much better this time and made it all the way through!
I like Riz Ortolani, his soundtrack for Dont Torture a Duckling is excellent.

I'm a fan of asian cinema but I do have to be in the mood for it, so it will be a while before I see MM.

Old 26th February 2010, 10:44 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Cannibal Holocaust may be his most (in)famous score but he also wrote the music for Mondo Cane (the gorgeous More theme), The Hunting Party, the classic Yellow Rolls Royce, the swinging Bliss Of Mrs Blossom, Charles Bronson's Valachi Papers (disappointing score in my opinion), and the ultra-funky Biggest Bundle Of Them All (my favourite of his).
Old 26th February 2010, 11:30 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
I've still to see Orphan 42nd. It's one of those films that has had really mixed reviews, but I still want to watch it - if not only for the twist ending!
I did contemplate whether I should even mention a twist exists (you then look for it) but seeing as the ****ing tagline was "You'll never guess her secret", I thought the decision had already been taken for me!

Worth watching, truly, for Isabelle Fuhrman's performance alone.

Last edited by 42ndStreetFreak; 26th February 2010 at 11:54 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!