Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2016, 10:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Suicide Squad is very disjointed, plus at no point are you rooting for them to succeed in their mission. Literally at no point.
That being said Deadshot, Harley Quinn and The Joker are interesting and the soundtrack is great.
However, the story is limp, there is no chemistry and it has some of the worst CGI since X-Men Apocalypse.
That is also part of my complaints beside the others about films they create characters that are well shit, to extent you couldn't care less about them wether they lived or died and at times the film is like the characters, not interesting and soulless,
Hence why i dont fancy new Ghostbusters, not because it's a all female cast it's because thats how the characters come across in the trailers, and the fact the humour and jokes look like their trying to be funny, where in original it all just flowed and come naturally and come across effortless,
Old 6th August 2016, 10:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
That is also part of my complaints beside the others about films they creat characters that are well shit, to extent you couldn't care less about them wether they lived or died and at times the film is like the characters, not interesting and soulless,
Hence why i dont fancy new Ghostbusters because thats how the characters come across in the trailers, and the fact the humour and jokes look like their trying to be funny, where in original it all just flowed and come naturally and come across effortless,
I actually enjoyed ghostbusters more than a thought I would granted a lot of the jokes fall flat but when they work they were really funny and ended up caring for the characters apart from the McCarthy character and I really liked the female "Egon". is it as good as the original? No but its still fun and their are lot worse moves out there. Its not going to be for everyone and if you have doubts I wouldn't rush out to see it, for me a solid 6.5/10
Old 6th August 2016, 11:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Suicide Squad (2016) - 1.5/5

Warner Bros. have done a Fant4stic on the film, they've completely mangled it. It's an incoherent mess, chunks are blatantly missing (and lots of Joker stuff from the trailers isn't there), they've thrown in loads of songs to make it like the trailers, so it just plays like a music video montage and every part of the film feels like a climactic third act. I pray we get the director's cut on Blu-ray, the theatrical cut is a disgrace.
Old 7th August 2016, 12:05 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
I actually enjoyed ghostbusters more than a thought I would granted a lot of the jokes fall flat but when they work they were really funny and ended up caring for the characters apart from the McCarthy character and I really liked the female "Egon". is it as good as the original? No but its still fun and their are lot worse moves out there. Its not going to be for everyone and if you have doubts I wouldn't rush out to see it, for me a solid 6.5/10
Granted there a hell of lot worse films, ill give it benefit of the doubt by you're recommendation. So ill be gunning for you if i dont like it
But be a while before i do like waiting for it to be on netflix,
Old 7th August 2016, 09:19 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

download.jpg

The Zero Boys are a small group of friends that partake in paintball war games. After their latest victory they head out to the woods for some training. On this trip they have a new addition to the Zero Boys Jamie the girlfriend of an other groups leader who they won as part of a wager in the last games. Almost as soon as they set foot into the wilderness things start to get strange and its evident this wont be a normal training / camping trip.

I had high hopes for this but i just found it dragging on and on Steve the leader of The Zero Boys was just a pain in the ass his acting was so wooden and he just didnt seem to fit in with the gang too much of a sensible father type character the rest of the characters or not too bad and their acting has some variation to it. When you have an action slasher i usually dont let the acting bother me at all but there is so little action and so very very little slashing here that you are forced to spend time with these people and their acting and listening to dialogue. I do enjoy a film with a slow build but when you are stuck in a cabin with people who are not one bit interesting its a real slog and for an 80s film with 80s ladies i didnt see one boob . The stalker in the film was not even menacing considering that The Zero Boys have a shit load of guns and the stalkers have a knife and a cross bow so the advantage is with The Zero Boys and even when they are unarmed the stalkers show up right behind them and run away purposely dragging it out to fill the run time. Some time down the road i will give it another spin and see if i like it any better second time around but after my first viewing i cant see much changing. One plus i can think of right now has to be the soundtrack i loved it.

Overall i was disappointed it was not the entertaining trashy fun i had hoped it would be.It had many good ideas but it just didnt expand on them enough. Ill score this right in the middle because although i found it a little boring i have seen much worse films so ill give it a

5/10

EDITED_IMAGE_20160615_164700.jpg

Steve shows off his mean face absolutely terrifying
Old 7th August 2016, 05:36 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Spanish Blu Ray of THE BURNING.
Nice print.
After YEARS of vhs and Vipco disc,this is fantastic to see in hi def.
Looks like the same print used on the Japanese Blu.

Be keen to see what Arrow do with this.

CARNIVAL OF SOULS
Criterion have excelled themselves as usual with this release.
It looks and sounds absolutely amazing.
Another film which spent years doing the rounds with appalling picture and sound!
Great extras as well-I actually watched a couple of them!

That spooky old pavillion was rebuilt three times-destroyed by fire twice and washed away by Salt Lake the third time!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 7th August 2016, 07:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Blackbeard's Ghost

Perfect Sunday afternoon viewing. A man takes a job as the coach of a small towns track team, the so called track team end up being the least of his worries as the town is knowing as were Blackbeard was killed and soon unleashes his spirit who has been cursed to limbo for eternity to make matters worse the inn in which he is staying , is wanted by a gangster and his goons. The coach teams up with Blackbeard to fraught the gangster's plan and make sure that the owners of the inn ( descendants of Blackbeard) get the deed to the first inn back which the gangster now owns. Pirates, gangsters and ghosts what's not too like. Fine performances all round and likabe characters. But the real star is peter ustinov as Blackbeard. 8.3/10

THEM!!

A true B-movie classic. 9.4/10

Now watching descent into hell

Last edited by trebor8273; 7th August 2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 7th August 2016, 08:09 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post

Be keen to see what Arrow do with this.

CARNIVAL OF SOULS
Criterion have excelled themselves as usual with this release.
It looks and sounds absolutely amazing.
Another film which spent years doing the rounds with appalling picture and sound!
Great extras as well-I actually watched a couple of them!

That spooky old pavillion was rebuilt three times-destroyed by fire twice and washed away by Salt Lake the third time!
Is that the Criterion Blu ray of Carnival Reaps?
Old 7th August 2016, 08:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Kes and Harry Brown.

Both film are different, but what i absolutely love about films like these is they are simple and basic, But what gives me the most heart warm felt about these films is you can feel the characters in the film, because its as if they just filmed people from all walks of life because they have the sense of realism as in thats as close as youre going to get how people really are, in the dialogue and how they really live. This is England is another example and sometimes you chuckle and think i know someone exactly like that, They arent hyped, ott, exaggerated or dumded down. Just realism
And thats also why i like British films because they seem so much better at making realistic films.

Last edited by gag; 7th August 2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 7th August 2016, 08:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Descent into hell- end of the line

A group of people get stuck on a train and are attacked be another group who end up killing those they meet in very brutal and bloody fashion believing the apocalypse has come and they are saving the souls of those they kill. A game of cat and mouse developes between the two groups but could their be something sinister happing. Acting goes from dreadful to OK, but its fast paced with a lot of gore and a lot worse ways to spend 90minutes. 5.5/10

Well I can't decide what to watch next more horror in the form of plague of the zombies or a western with support your local sheriff

Like this? Share it using the links below!