Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Certainly is mate.
Region locked??
Old 9th August 2016, 06:12 AM
Cult Addict

The Resurrected

An adaptation of H.P Lovecrafts Charles dexter ward with Chris Sarandon in dual roles of Dexter ward and his Ancestor Joseph Curwen. directed by Dan O'Bannen it reworks the story into more of an occult noir with a private detective hired by Wards wife stumbles onto more than he bargained for.
The films suffers slightly from a low budget mixed with big ambission and some of the creature effects while well designed don't work as well as intended. However the film is still good. It's still as good an adaptation that your going to get, the haunted palace is a good film but it lacked the confidence/ability to stick to the story and mixed in several other stories including Dunwich horror and The shadow over innesmouth. The blu-ray is a step up from the dire DVD release in the fact its widescreen. There is still some issues with the picture quality but I suspect this might be due to the source materials.

The reflecting skin

Drenched in southern gothic imagery, the reflecting skin is a tale of a young boy who suspects a local woman is a vampire. After his friends die one by one he begins to fear for his brother (viggo mortensen) who has fallen for the woman.
The reflecting skin is not a vampire film. Its a strange, almost surreal and sun drenched tale of childhood that left me a little baffled until mid way when it clicked. This is shot as a memory of childhood summer from the memories of a serial killer. The childish pranks the kids pull go one step to far for childish pranks, the kids strange reactions to horrifying events all feel off kilter. Its a film I don't think everyone will like but its worth checking out.
Old 9th August 2016, 01:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I watched Batman Begins again recently. Hasn't aged well. What once seemed gritty now seems very silly. Ho hum.

Also perused Side Effects (Steven Soderbergh, 2014)
Rooney Mara is sad as her hubby is in jail for insider trading. How she copes with this unfolds in Soderbergh's usual stately pace. Worth a look as it didn't turn out the way I expected.

Watched Time Without Pity (1952, Joseph Losey)
A cast of stalwarts in a tale of revenge and boozing. Twas on Talking Pictures etc. Recommended, if only to see Rumpole with dyed blond hair!!!

Catch 22 (Mike Nichols, 1970)
Sprawling adaptation of Joseph Heller's wartime novel. Quite grim in places, lived up to the memory.

Psycho (1960, Hitch)
Whilst Peeping Tom is still the sicker film, this is just a unique piece of cinema. Arbogast's demise still a highlight for me. As this was the blu that I received as a late Xmas pressie, it looks sharp enough on my crappy tv haha.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th August 2016, 01:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

This is a spoiler filled article about Suicide Squad, but when the piece is called 'The 16 most ridiculous moments in Suicide Squad' you know you're barking up the wrong street making films

The 16 most ridiculous moments in Suicide Squad

I still hate this film
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 9th August 2016, 04:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Scarface (1983)

****1/2 out of *****

The Nice Guys (2016)

**** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 9th August 2016, 06:42 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
This is a spoiler filled article about Suicide Squad, but when the piece is called 'The 16 most ridiculous moments in Suicide Squad' you know you're barking up the wrong street making films

The 16 most ridiculous moments in Suicide Squad

I still hate this film
Just about to head to the cinema to watch this oh well its only €5 tonight so no loss if its that bad.
keirarts likes this.
Old 9th August 2016, 06:42 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
Scarface (1983)

****1/2 out of *****

The Nice Guys (2016)

**** out of *****

Really looking forward to watching Nice Guys looks good from the trailers.
keirarts and Cinematic Shocks like this.
Old 9th August 2016, 07:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Playing catch up # 1

Se7en (1995)

Nobody expected a director who to date had only made one film, the at the time deemed failure Alien 3, and a couple of music videos for Aerosmith and Madonna, to hit home with one of cinemas modern classics. However David Fincher did just that, and to my mind has never come close to bettering this still shocking thriller.

I recall seeing it at the cinema and being wowed from the sinister, in fact downright unnerving, opening credits scored by Nine Inch Nails to the earth shattering climax and everything in between. Although truth be told i don't think the film really clicks into gear until Detective Mills ( a career best Brad Pitt for me) inadvertently invites at odds partner Somerset(Morgan Freeman) round for tea thanks to wife, Gwyneth Paltrow. The scenes of getting to know you are every bit as vital to the film hitting home with it's final gut punch as any of John Doe (Kevin Spacey's) ingenious ways of inflicting death and torture via the seven deadly sins.

Still as remarkable 21 years later as it was in 1995. If you haven't watched it for a while go and give yourself a treat. Films like this don't come around that often.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seven_ver1.jpg (90.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 9th August 2016, 07:49 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Really looking forward to watching Nice Guys looks good from the trailers.
It was a joy to watch. Excellent stuff.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 9th August 2016, 08:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
It was a joy to watch. Excellent stuff.
I watched half of it other night, and wasnt expecting much but pleasantly surprised i enjoyed what i saw. Watch other half in day or two when got time.
keirarts and Cinematic Shocks like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!