Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th August 2016, 11:39 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I've never seen it, but the sadist in me wants to get on MusicMagpie and buy a copy, it's probably £1.19 Although I might get one in CEX for 50p
If you are really sadistic you should get Dracula 3000 as well.
Justin101 likes this.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 11th August 2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11th August 2016, 12:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
While I'm not claiming its the best of its kind i think the relatively recent Conan redo with Momoa is quite underrated.
I thought it was mediocre. Possibly better than 'Conan the Destroyer' and 'Red Sonja' though.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 11th August 2016, 12:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
I thought it was mediocre. Possibly better than 'Conan the Destroyer' and 'Red Sonja' though.
I found it almost unwatchable!

Took me two attempts to sit through it.
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th August 2016, 12:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
CEMETERY OF TERROR –
I remember this, but have never seen it. Wasn't it from BCI the same company who produced South of the Border. It was in the same Crypt of Terror range on a double bill if i recall.

Wish i'd picked it up.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 11th August 2016, 01:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Playing catch up # 4

The Dark Knight (2008)

The second in Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy. Batman has always been a more human superhero with down to earth villains mixed with stories that are more believable and grounded in reality. You won't find any Norse Gods throwing their dummies out of the pram and whizzing planets at each other here, thank god! That's not to slight Marvel's energetic films, i enjoyed them all in my recent run through and i've still got Guardians and Ultron to go but the Euro's got in the way, but i've always preferred Batman.

Following on from the excellent Batman Begins was always going to be a tough task for both Nolan and Christian Bale as Batman and The Dark Knight fails...just.

Many of it's flaws are masked by a tour-de-force of acting talent (Caine, Freeman, Oldman, Eckhart, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Bale himself topped off by Heath Ledger's standout turn as the twitchy, edgy, psychotic, Joker) and some superb set pieces but it also seems to be going round in circles at times too.

It's main flaw is it's too long but also too short in trying to encompass everything it wants to achieve. The film would have been slicker had it just featured the Joker but Nolan also wants to throw Eckhart's Two-Face into the mix when he should have been the subject of another movie. Multi-villain Batman films have been done before in the 90's. From the excellent Batman Returns (1992) to the not as good but still campy fun Batman and Robin (1997). However in those three films the villains all worked together in the main, here Nolan gives them both different agendas which i feel should have been different movies. The Dark Knight often felt like a game of catch the Joker, let the Joker escape, catch the Joker... until the Two-Face story finally developed along side. Maybe Nolan felt Two-Face wasn't as interesting a villain as the Joker or Catwoman to warrant his own vehicle as an adversary for Batman. Maybe Eckhart wasn't the right actor for the role as Tommy Lee Jones could have pulled it off on his own in Batman Forever (1995) without Jim Carrey's histrionics as the Riddler. Who knows? But the main problem is The Dark Knight begins to drag around the 90 minute mark when it should be heading out on the highway all guns blazing.

Old 11th August 2016, 03:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

AWOL aka Leon (1990, Sheldon Lettich)

Van Damme tour de force as he roundhouse kicks his way to redemption via illegal fighting rings. Not as homoerotic as I had hoped....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th August 2016, 03:18 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I found it almost unwatchable!

Took me two attempts to sit through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Dark Knight From the excellent Batman Returns (1992) to the not as good but still campy fun Batman and Robin (1997).
Sorry? You struggled to sit through the Conan film but consider the godawful Batman and Shitbollocks to be "campy but fun"??? It's easily in the worst three films I've ever seen bracket. And when i say seen, i mean attempted as i actually turned off two thirds in because it made me feel bloody nauseous it was so utterly shite.
keirarts and Deadite like this.
Old 11th August 2016, 08:49 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Rocky IV (1985)

*** out of *****

keirarts likes this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 11th August 2016, 09:44 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
Rocky IV (1985)

*** out of *****

The appropriate response to that video must be this:

Old 11th August 2016, 10:04 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I actually thought about this when I posted the Rocky IV montage.

Like this? Share it using the links below!