All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179478Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th August 2016, 09:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Cavill still lacks any charisma.
Actors having charisma is probably "cheesy" to today's generation.

Tales of Halloween. Mediocre 2015 anthology horror which has too many tales for the runtime, most of which are pretty uninteresting anyway. To be fair, the one with the kidnappers who abduct a millionaire's son only to find it's not a child but a malevolent little demon he's been trying to get rid of was fun, and the one with the Friday the 13th style killer getting his comeuppance from a ticked off alien was absolutely hilariously OTT, but again too brief. I'll confess to a snicker or two at the closing tale with the killer pumpkin too, but again it was woefully underdeveloped. All three of those were in the last half hour too, and the ones in the opening hour or so were all largely completely forgettable.
Old 15th August 2016, 09:54 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I've still to check this one out but it's one I'm looking forward to watching.
I was very pleasantly surprised at how good it was.
Old 15th August 2016, 10:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
lex's motivation still makes little sense
It makes as much sense as any other villain in a superhero film, he says several times throughout the film WHY he's doing it, and he's also clearly mentally unstable.
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 15th August 2016, 10:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderlust View Post
Starve, 2014. 7/10

Closed For The Season, 2010. 5/10

The Legend of Tarzan, 2016. 7/10

The Herd, 2014. 7/10 {short film.}

Twisted Nerve, 1968. 9/10

Twisted nerve is a under rated gem that a lot of people don't know about unless you like you're films or a bit of a buff, And its films like these eg Peeping tom and similar films of why i complain they dont make thriller/horror like they use to
Films use to be well films. Now its all about big Budget, wow factor, cgi who who, ott action, with very little storyline or plot or likeable characters, films like these just go to show you can keep it simple and end up with a masterpiece, or go all blown out guns blazing and end up being shite and a mess of a film.
Give me films like this any day of the week, over 90% of any Hollywood / Blockbuster film
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 15th August 2016, 11:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post

Tales of Halloween. Mediocre 2015 anthology horror which has too many tales for the runtime, most of which are pretty uninteresting anyway. To be fair, the one with the kidnappers who abduct a millionaire's son only to find it's not a child but a malevolent little demon he's been trying to get rid of was fun, and the one with the Friday the 13th style killer getting his comeuppance from a ticked off alien was absolutely hilariously OTT, but again too brief. I'll confess to a snicker or two at the closing tale with the killer pumpkin too, but again it was woefully underdeveloped. All three of those were in the last half hour too, and the ones in the opening hour or so were all largely completely forgettable.
Pity. I was looking forward to this.
Old 16th August 2016, 12:40 AM
Cult Acolyte

I was hoping to like it as much as A Christmas Horror Story, which wasn't fantastic but fairly decent. There was too much in it, really; should have taken the last three stories and expanded them to be the whole film.
Old 16th August 2016, 06:53 AM
Cult Addict

Evil of Dracula

Third & final part of the bloodthirsty trilogy. Made in 1974, several years after the previous two the film ups the gore and nudity quotient to keep pace with the more graphic 70's Japanese cinema. A teacher heads to a new job at a remote girls school and if that wasn't clue enough that he's walking into a horror movie the locals are as hostile as one would expect. It seems the school is being plagued by a vampire, a christian missionary who was captured and tortured back during Japans isolationist period. Turning his back on his faith he became a vampire and now uses the school as a feeding ground. While not as OTT as later 70's material it has some fairly severe scenes including a female vampire removing a girls face in order to wear it and become her. It has some great atmosphere and set design including a gothic sepulchre in the basement.

Devils Rain

After his brother Mark Preston (william shatner) and mother (Ida Lupino) are claimed by satanist Corbis (Ernest Borgnine) after the shat loses a contest of wills, Tom Preston (Tom Skerritt) must head out into the desert and face his family legacy and Corbis with everything on the line!
Apparantly made in collaboration with Anton laVey of the Church of satan this film has a great atmosphere and some meomorable imagery including the eyeless disciples of corbis and some grisly melting scenes. It also has a cameo from a young John Travolta who would give up satanism to become a scientologist. Ironically L Ron Hubbard nicked a lot of stuff from satanism when he came up with the idea.
Old 16th August 2016, 10:46 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Town That Dreaded Sundown (2014)

65 years after a masked serial killer terrorized the small town of Texarkana, the so-called 'moonlight murders' begin again.

What a clever film this is. Basically a remake of a fairly obscure mid 70's slasher, this film acknowledges the original at every turn. Being a slasher there's plenty of blood and guts as well as gratuitous sex and nudity but the film is much more than mere exploitation.

Concentrating on the original murders this film intelligently uses footage from the original film as it plays at a drive-in theatre and even recreates the murders as copycat killings in the present day. It's not cliched nor derivative but original and makes for a very compelling horror film. The performances, including veteran character actors Gary Cole and Ed Lauter, are strong all round and it all comes together startlingly well in what proves to be a breath of fresh air in how to construct a slasher film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I've still to check this one out but it's one I'm looking forward to watching.
IMHO, better than the original which I'm not a big fan of anyway.

Cell (2016)

*1/2 out of *****

trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 16th August 2016, 10:58 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post

Cell (2016)

*1/2 out of *****

Not good!
keirarts likes this.
Old 16th August 2016, 11:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Not good!
can't say i'm surprised as the trailer was awful

Like this? Share it using the links below!