Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th February 2010, 11:48 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Filmed at the creepy Castle Acre Priory in Swaffham. Price would later return to Norfolk for Witchfinder General.

I enjoyed Ligeia though Masque still remains my favourite Price/Poe.
Old 28th February 2010, 12:10 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Solomon Kane

Well, what a surprise! My girlfriend took me to see this for my birthday knowing that, as a Robert E Howard and Solomon Kane fan, I was intrigued to see what would happen to the character in a film setting. I feared another Constantine, where Hollywood ruined and insulted a character I loved from the source material. But I was not counting on something - Solomon Kane is not a Hollywood film...

I think this is a fitting and extremely likeable adaptation to screen. There is a lot to admire here: verve, atmosphere, action, horror...all played gloriously straight faced and with none of the pretension of "high fantasy" like Lord Of The Rings - just wonderful, violent, dark, bleak, Good vs Evil, Sword 'n' Sorcery of the old school.

James Purefoy is a good Kane and the rest of the cast are fine...and, unknown to me, the great Max Von Sydow (one of my favourite actors) is in it! I had to stop myself squealing like a schoolgirl when he appeared on screen! The monsters are superb and you never feel the film's low budget.

I feared the worst and was elated by the film. I loved it and thought it a complete success. Here's hoping it makes anough money so the trilogy can be completed.

The Crazies

I loved this film when I was younger but hadn't seen it for ages. It is better than I remembered. A low budget gem ripe with Romero's inventiveness, social comment and dark world view. Superb stuff. I may risk the remake next week!
A risk you must take immediately. I just watched the remake a few hours ago and have to admit that it's GREAT!! It's most probably the 2nd scariest film I've ever seen, REC° being the 1st. It has continuous moments of brilliantly executed jumpy scares, I've never seen an audience jump out their seats in unison 20+ times in 1 film. It really is soooooo good, better than I expected.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 28th February 2010, 03:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Visiting Hours

An efficient thriller with an above average cast but debatably a budget beyond the capabilities of the director. It has the appearance of an averagely shoddy TV film, though this often works to the film's advantage - clumsy shots and framing add to the air of degradation and sleaze. Michael Ironside mugs away effectively in the psycho part and Lee Grant and Linda Purl make you wonder why they were never bigger stars then they were. William Shatner is..,well...William Shatner.

It has serious themes, it is no mere expoitation job - psychopathy: nature or nurture, the real world practicality of pacifism in life threatening situations á la Straw Dogs, racism, machismo and misogyny...a brief toe is dipped into some serious issues without them ever really being developed.

As for its appearance on the "Nasties" list, one can only assume it got caught up in the furore. It isn't graphic, there is hardly any gore, violence is cut away from and the worst assaults are off screen. Ironside is chilling, but it has the feel of a TV film, not of a horror "Nasty".

Not a bad film, worth seeing.
Even if you never saw the movie .Most people can remember the VHS cover back from the Rental days
Old 28th February 2010, 03:07 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
Just finished watching Critters! An excellent film that rivals Gremlins and is almost better.
Is this the first time you saw CRITTERS?

Last edited by iluvdvds@Cult Labs; 28th February 2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 28th February 2010, 08:43 AM
Cultist in Training

Last House on the Beach, in some ways a bit tame by todays standards. Big fan of Ray Lovelock (Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue is one of my fav Zombie films)who has a surprising amount to talk about in the little featurette.

It was just good to finally see a film I'd heard of years ago in such a pristine fashion. Nice bonus was a cd soundtrack included with the dvd.
Old 28th February 2010, 12:17 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazon2709 View Post
Big fan of Ray Lovelock (Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue is one of my fav Zombie films)who has a surprising amount to talk about in the little featurette.
Lovelock also turned up as Ann Turkel's rather pointless hippy boyfriend in the daft but fun Cassandra Crossing.
Old 28th February 2010, 12:47 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I watched The Medusa Touch last night, very effective thriller with a top notch turn from Richard Burton. Lee Remick was a attractive and good as the phsychiatrist. This could almost have been an omen movie. A few things in the film that are quite reletive today such as the plane flying into a building is very 9/11 and the nuclear power plat demonstrations. The film had a very chilling ending... A very cool film...
Old 28th February 2010, 12:51 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

One of Burton's best later films IMO. The destruction of the cathedral (actually Bristol Cathedral) was superbly done and the casting was excellent.
Old 28th February 2010, 01:02 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

couldn't agree more with you there vincenzo..
Old 28th February 2010, 01:08 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
I watched The Medusa Touch last night, very effective thriller with a top notch turn from Richard Burton. Lee Remick was a attractive and good as the phsychiatrist. This could almost have been an omen movie. A few things in the film that are quite reletive today such as the plane flying into a building is very 9/11 and the nuclear power plat demonstrations. The film had a very chilling ending... A very cool film...

These are the words of love that I crave on The Net!
CRAVE!!!!

Always loved this, so much so that I even have the audio on cassette tape!

And as Vincenzo states the Cathedral sequence even holds up to perfection today! Great FX work and staging.

Burton has some amazing speeches and to see him go one on one with Sherlock Holmes himself is a gem of a moment.

****ING wonderful stuff, with a superb cast all round.
The newer DVD trasnfer is nice too. So much better than the awful, smeared to hell, earlier DVD releases.

Snobby pricks slag this movie off all the time and it got crucified upon release...but these people know nothing and mean even less.
Embrace the destruction!

Like this? Share it using the links below!