Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th August 2016, 11:06 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Good or bad, this film really doesn't sound anything like Star Trek. Just A.N. Other blockbuster sci-fi flick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
That's the only problem with this film, it looks spectacular, it's hi-octane, it's fun to watch etc, but it's not really Star Trek, it's a Blockbuster sci-fi that happens to have the Star Trek characters in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
i found it more star trek than the other two movies and you could say the same about most of the older movies as most are just action movies with the cast of either TNG or TOS in them the only ones being a real exception and having the spirit and message of the series are the motion picture, undiscovered country and to a lesser extent the voyage home
I think it massively depends on your affection for the original series/movies. I have none and consider the three new films much more entertaining.
Old 19th August 2016, 11:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I think it massively depends on your affection for the original series/movies. I have none and consider the three new films much more entertaining.
I completely agree, and for me Star Trek is 'The Next Generation' and 'Voyager' which are very serious, or at least they take themselves very seriously.

That's not to say I don't like the new reboot series, I do, I really like them, but I go into them detached from the fact that they are Star Trek films. However I think that Bones and Spock are great in the new movies too, not so much Kirk and Uhuru... or Scotty
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 19th August 2016, 11:15 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
i found it more star trek than the other two movies and you could say the same about most of the older movies as most are just action movies with the cast of either TNG or TOS in them the only ones being a real exception and having the spirit and message of the series are the motion picture, undiscovered country and to a lesser extent the voyage home
I didn't think much of the Abrams reboot and never even bothered with the second film.

You mention The Undiscovered Country. That's the biggest action film of all the original ones.

As far as them being unlike the original ideas, i'd hardly say Wrath of Khan was exactly action packed after just watching it and The Search for Spock again this past week.
Old 19th August 2016, 11:19 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I completely agree, and for me Star Trek is 'The Next Generation' and 'Voyager' which are very serious, or at least they take themselves very seriously.

That's not to say I don't like the new reboot series, I do, I really like them, but I go into them detached from the fact that they are Star Trek films. However I think that Bones and Spock are great in the new movies too, not so much Kirk and Uhuru... or Scotty
Ah now see when i say the original series/movies I'm including the Next Generation in that. If anything Picards lot took a big shit on the franchise and gave the Abrams films a good head start. Never seen or have any interest in Voyager. And as for the cast i think Chris Pine is great, lets be honest was the Shats ever that good?? He looked old as the hills when they made The Motion Picture.
keirarts likes this.

Last edited by J Harker; 19th August 2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 19th August 2016, 11:23 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Ah now see when i say the original series/movies I'm including the Next Generation in that. If anything Picards lot took a big shit on the franchise and gave the Abrams films a good head start. Never seen or have any interest in Voyager.
I found the Picard films to be like the very best Next Gen stories, however they weren't like the majority of episodes as they were often quite bland.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 19th August 2016, 11:27 AM
Cult Veteran

The Next Gen had a problem, and that was Gene Roddenberry, he insisted that people were more advanced in this day and age and conflict wasn't really a thing, so he insisted that the writers make episodes without conflict. As you all know, that's a terrible idea as a good story needs some issue to resolve. It got better though after Gene died sometime around season 3/4.

The TNG movies were great on the whole, the worst by far being 'Generations' but they were essentially extended TNG episodes with more money and better special effects, so in turn they still kept the 'feel' of it being Star Trek. They might not have been successful in being great films but they were very Star Trek.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 19th August 2016, 11:27 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I found the Picard films to be like the very best Next Gen stories, however they weren't like the majority of episodes as they were often quite bland.
From what ive seen of the Next Gen series (which is far from exhaustive) they all seemed to blend into one.
Old 19th August 2016, 11:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I didn't think much of the Abrams reboot and never even bothered with the second film.

You mention The Undiscovered Country. That's the biggest action film of all the original ones.

As far as them being unlike the original ideas, i'd hardly say Wrath of Khan was exactly action packed after just watching it and The Search for Spock again this past week.
undiscovered country because of it paralleling the fall of soviet union etc at the time with the problems of the Klingon empire. it was very action packed but it did have a message and was personal for kirk, with coming to terms that the Klingon's aren't blood thirsty killers and the death of his son by Klingon's
keirarts likes this.
Old 19th August 2016, 11:42 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
undiscovered country because of it paralleling the fall of soviet union etc at the time with the problems of the Klingon empire. it was very action packed but it did have a message and was personal for kirk, with coming to terms that the Klingon's aren't blood thirsty killers and the death of his son by Klingon's
The Kirk elements i felt were it's weakness. He killed the Klingons who murdered his son in Search for Spock, they seemed to drag it on for me.

However you are correct in your summing up.
Old 19th August 2016, 11:59 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'm exactly the same, and have really enjoyed the three films in the rebooted franchise. I found Beyond the weakest of the three, but certainly a highly enjoyable and very well made sci-fi-action-thriller which, just like Into Darkness, I'll pick up on BD when the price is right (probably 5 for £30 from HMV).
keirarts and J Harker like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!