Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st August 2016, 08:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Was going to watch the mist but you have to be in the right frame of mind for that one, so something a bit more lighthearted some Lois and Clark
Old 21st August 2016, 08:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Eddie The Eagle.

Much better than i ever thought it was going to be. It was truly at times funny at others moving and always entertaining. A gem of a film. 10/10.
Old 21st August 2016, 09:40 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's the inbred brothers with their blacked out teeth acting goofy that annoyed me more than anything.

Oh and the initial scene in the car. The young couple were going to murder the old woman by strangling her with a chord. Did they not notice she had a neck brace tight on, meaning that would have failed straight away.
I didn't think they ever intended to kill her? It seemed to me a very amateurish attempt at misdirection.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 21st August 2016, 10:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (1972)

**** out of *****

The Last Boy Scout (1991)

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 21st August 2016, 10:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

GHOSTHOUSE – Italian horror movies are renowned for ripping off anything with box office potential and a pulse, but what is the inspiration behind Umberto Lenzi's 'Ghosthouse'? Some might suggest that it's a typically clumsy attempt to knock together bits of 'Poltergeist', 'Amityville', maybe even Fulci's own 'House by the Cemetery'. But from where I'm sitting, the influence of the infinitely creepier UK TV Testcard is more in evidence. Maybe I'm stretching things a bit, but there's definitely a sinister little girl and a clown doll in it, and, in what has to be a deliberate act of homage, they do at one point appear on a TV screen. A hack like Lenzi couldn't be expected to mine the depths of such satanic potential, but maybe he doesn't have to. Dolls, particularly clown dolls, are just freaky anyway. Anyway, going back to the theme of 'stretching things a bit', we have the plot of 'Ghosthouse' to consider. It involves a radio enthusiast who picks up an SOS message which, it turns out, happens to come from the house with the sinister child / doll combo in it. Not only that – the message came from the future! How? Why? Haven't you ever heard of telepathy, or something? I think a character actually says that at one point. Or he might have used the word 'telekinisis' instead, but he definitely didn't say “some things happen for reasons of pure plot device only, biatch”. Anyway, we're introduced to various people who serve little purpose other than as fodder for death scenes, as exemplified by the presence of an annoying hitchhiker who fills his three minutes of screen time with weirdly pointless practical jokes before being iced off screen (his dying form appears in a doorway near the end, by which point I imagine the viewer will haveforgotten he was ever even in it). 'Ghosthouse' doesn't do badly in terms of cheap gore, but makes the mistake of laying down its strongest hand right at the beginning, with a pretty bloody double murder which has a distinctly Fulci-esque vibe to it. Apart from this kind of thing, the main attraction, as with most Italian horror rips, is the ad hoc bizarreness. There's quite a bit of it, enough to carry the audience through the many sequences marked 'has light doze potential'. When they're not yapping (endlessly), people fall into vats of milky acid, flail around in rooms full of feathers and toys, are menaced by maggot-faced apparitions. There's a creepy nursery rhyme which appears to be played by the doll, and a completely bizarre shot of a rocking horse partially blocking the view of someone who's been cut in half. All kind of non-sequitors, but all necessary in a carnivalesque sort of way. The acting is as wooden as hell, particularly a dude who looks like a young Steve Coogan (he's the guy who died in the future or something). For those who want quality thesps, Dr Butcher himself Don O'Brian is at hand, mugging his way through the film as a sort of inconsequential slasher killer. This all adds to the creeping atmosphere of unreality conjured by 'Ghosthouse'. That's 'unreality' as in simply fake, by the way. There's nothing by way of scares, suspense, or 'real horror', whatever that is. But anyone interested in watching 'Ghosthouse' will know that anyway, and will just get off on the synthetic weirdness of it all. Another one where the otherwise sorry looking Vipco release has a suspiciously good pq.
Old 21st August 2016, 10:38 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
GHOSTHOUSE –
Brilliant!

I spent half the afternoon deliberating on this film.

I noticed Lenzi's House of Lost Souls going cheap on Music Magpie and thought i owned it because it mentions the head in the washing machine, however after searching my collection for a film that doesn't exist i realized it was Ghosthouse where i'd seen that scene.

From the sound of things Lenzi even ripped himself off, with House of Lost Souls sounding like clone of Ghosthouse.

Anyway i ordered House of Lost Souls after the search. I bet i do own the bloody thing, i just can't locate it and it certainly ain't with the other films in the House series.
Old 21st August 2016, 10:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Brilliant!

I spent half the afternoon deliberating on this film.

I noticed Lenzi's House of Lost Souls going cheap on Music Magpie and thought i owned it because it mentions the head in the washing machine, however after searching my collection for a film that doesn't exist i realized it was Ghosthouse where i'd seen that scene.

From the sound of things Lenzi even ripped himself off, with House of Lost Souls sounding like clone of Ghosthouse.

Anyway i ordered House of Lost Souls after the search. I bet i do own the bloody thing, i just can't locate it and it certainly ain't with the other films in the House series.
I've seen all the 'House' films. Thinking about them now, they're all really weird, although I have to admit I can't remember a thing about 'House of Lost Souls'. 'Ghosthouse' is just tuned into its own reality. My review sounds a bit harsh, but I really like it. That Fulci one, 'House of Sweet Horrors' or whatever it's called, takes the cake for sheer oddness though.
Old 21st August 2016, 10:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I've seen all the 'House' films. Thinking about them now, they're all really weird, although I have to admit I can't remember a thing about 'House of Lost Souls'. 'Ghosthouse' is just tuned into its own reality. My review sounds a bit harsh, but I really like it. That Fulci one, 'House of Sweet Horrors' or whatever it's called, takes the cake for sheer oddness though.
I also like them all. I love how you say Ghosthouse is tuned into it's own reality. To me they all are. All very odd. Wild gore and a weird tv movie vibe with atrocious dubbing of course.

I was on a bit of a VIPCO trash style binge this afternoon. I also ordered Bava's Graveyard Disturbance. Lamberto not Mario. It would be ridiculous to think Mario could make a film as shit as that. A film i've owned three times previously and ditched three times too. However i got the urge to pick it up again. I always think it won't be so bad this time around, but i'm sure it will be. Still, i've sworn to keep hold of this copy no matter what.
Old 21st August 2016, 11:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I also like them all. I love how you say Ghosthouse is tuned into it's own reality. To me they all are. All very odd. Wild gore and a weird tv movie vibe with atrocious dubbing of course.

I was on a bit of a VIPCO trash style binge this afternoon. I also ordered Bava's Graveyard Disturbance. Lamberto not Mario. It would be ridiculous to think Mario could make a film as shit as that. A film i've owned three times previously and ditched three times too. However i got the urge to pick it up again. I always think it won't be so bad this time around, but i'm sure it will be. Still, i've sworn to keep hold of this copy no matter what.
Thinking of checking out 'Graveyard Disturbance' myself, as it's one piece of late eighties Italo shite that I haven't actually seen. Although your history with it doesn't seem to bode well.
Old 21st August 2016, 11:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Thinking of checking out 'Graveyard Disturbance' myself, as it's one piece of late eighties Italo shite that I haven't actually seen. Although your history with it doesn't seem to bode well.
It's all really promising until the demons appear, then it's like watching and being scared of dancing zombie Smurfs.

Wonder if i can cancel that order?
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!