Old 23rd September 2016, 02:12 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Boy Meets Girl - 6/10

Silent Hill - 8/10
Oh yeah, about this. First time watching it since it first came out, still as creepy as ever, and one of the most visually impressive movies I've seen. However this time I realised not just how extremely long this movie is at just over two hours, but also how confusing this could be to someone with no prior knowledge of the games. Many elements of the plot are left until only the very end of the film, and even then, some just aren't even explained. That said, still love it, and it's way better than the turd of a sequel.

Suicide Squad - 8/10
Ohhhhhhhhhh boy. This was terrible. It's like a fun terrible cheesy action movie. You can tell from the start its a mess. The editing is awful, holes everywhere, forced soundtrack, anemic plot that feels like the bare threads of something that once was, not to mention confusing. Cringe worthy writing. Cara Delevinge's performance as Enchantress sucks, and her CG body once she changes is distracting and disturbing. So why the high rating? Simple, its fun! It's like the shitty movies from latter decades we watch and laugh at and have a great time, delivered to us with a multi-million dollar budget and an amazing cast. The cast, as well, are a big draw. The performances for the most part are flawless. Jared Leto does an amazing job of the Joker once you get past the questionable costuming, whilst Will Smith and Margot Robbie give perfect performances. I'd argue Margot Robbie's absolutely perfect job of Harley Quinn is worth seeing the movie for. I really hope this gets an extended cut (without the shitty soundtrack) like BvS did, as it's clear there is a lot missing, especially of the Joker.
Try Irish zom/com Boy Eats Girl. I love that.

Silent Hill is awful. After a nicely atmospheric opening it gets worse and worse. I might be on my own thinking this though.

Despite all the poor word of mouth, at least in this country, i quite fancy seeing Suicide Squad. I aim to make it my final film on New Years Eve if it's out to buy by then.
Old 23rd September 2016, 02:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

Silent Hill is awful. After a nicely atmospheric opening it gets worse and worse. I might be on my own thinking this though.

Despite all the poor word of mouth, at least in this country, i quite fancy seeing Suicide Squad. I aim to make it my final film on New Years Eve if it's out to buy by then.
Hahah I've heard of that one, one of my mates used to think quite highly of it, so will have to give it a shot some time

As for Silent Hill, I know a lot of people who quite like it, but my understanding of it's general consensus was always critical acclaim for visuals and nothing else positive.

Give Suicide Squad a shot as something fun or just a morbid curiosity, nothing to lose I think Certainly better than most Marvel drivel

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 23rd September 2016, 02:48 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I loved Silent Hill - great atmosphere and some creepy visuals.

Suicide Squad is also one I'm curious to see despite the overwhelmingly negative reviews.
Old 23rd September 2016, 03:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

I second and third this emotion. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh it's dire. After the game itself creeping me out maximum stylee, this was a major letdown.

Night Train (M Brian King, 2009)
This I recommend. Danny Glover plays the old hand, the CGI is unobtrusive and Its been a while since I've seen "one of these". check the trailer if you want it spoiled, go into it blind if you want to enjoy it.

Baby Blues (2008, Armadeep Kaleka)
A searing look at PND. NOT. An oddity/bog standard horror film. Depends on your outlook I suppose...recommended??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd September 2016, 03:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I loved Silent Hill
It's a mass market horror film you know?

Not the one about the dying Polish poet who with his final steps walks into the hills to contemplate his past life in a bittersweet tale of regret and forgiveness.
Old 23rd September 2016, 03:27 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It's a mass market horror film you know?

Not the one about the dying Polish poet who with his final steps walks into the hills to contemplate his past life in a bittersweet tale of regret and forgiveness.
That sounds awesome – you make it, I'll watch it.
Old 23rd September 2016, 05:12 PM
Cult Addict

Blair Witch

Pretty much a phenomenon for how it helped invent viral marketing for movies in the late 90's back when dial up was a thing, the original film itself remains pretty good but the impact is never the same as the first time I saw it on a dodgy poor quality VHS bootleg, which almost feels like the exact way a psuedo-supernatural snuff flick should be watched. Lots of people cite Cannibal Holocaust as its inspiration but its odd to think that its initial concept was more like boggy creek or one of those late night true story documentaries that haunt the history channel these days. The sequel was actually ok, just not great and had a stupid ending. Its nice to see then that Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett have been roped in to bring back the concept several decades after the original (I feel old) spawned a flood of fouind footage cheapies that clogged the straight to DVD market for years.
I rate Wingard and Barrett as film makers and really dug You're next & the guest (spawning a few 'its shit' comments no doubt, non of which I've ever been convinced by enough to change my opinions) and here they manage to actually deliver something interesting. It probably not going to appeal to anyone who hates the original and its not without its flaws, the biggest being that it feels a little like a retread in places. However, each time I started thinking it might disappoint it threw in something great that warmed me up to the film again and the final 30 minutes are genuiely scary. I must add it helped I was the only one in the theatre which probably added something to the proceedings. So far with don't breathe its two for two on the autumn horrors for me so far.
Old 23rd September 2016, 05:23 PM
Cult Addict

Antibirth

Natasha Lyonne plays Lou, a punk party animal with a foul mouth and a taste for hard living who lives in a static caravan out in the middle of nowhere and funds her erratic lifestyle through work as a maid at a local motel. She lives in a bleak, snowy shit-hole of a town where everyone is either a junkie or a dealer and after a night of heavy partying she wakes up realising she might be pregnant. As she investigates she discovers a conspiracy of fringe-science, experimental drugs and alien conspiracy.
Antibirth is a great little indie movie that I highly reccomend. Its got some genuinely trashy gross-out moments including a vile miscarriage scene and some DIY surgery on a huge blister that might make you wretch but the film feels fresh and original with a great script and a solid central performance from Lyonne. Chloë Sevigny appears as her friend who might have her own agenda and Meg Tilly gives a great performance as an abductee who attempts to help lou. I'll probably pick this up
Old 23rd September 2016, 05:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Antibirth

Natasha Lyonne plays Lou, a punk party animal with a foul mouth and a taste for hard living who lives in a static caravan out in the middle of nowhere and funds her erratic lifestyle through work as a maid at a local motel. She lives in a bleak, snowy shit-hole of a town where everyone is either a junkie or a dealer and after a night of heavy partying she wakes up realising she might be pregnant. As she investigates she discovers a conspiracy of fringe-science, experimental drugs and alien conspiracy.
Antibirth is a great little indie movie that I highly reccomend. Its got some genuinely trashy gross-out moments including a vile miscarriage scene and some DIY surgery on a huge blister that might make you wretch but the film feels fresh and original with a great script and a solid central performance from Lyonne. Chloë Sevigny appears as her friend who might have her own agenda and Meg Tilly gives a great performance as an abductee who attempts to help lou. I'll probably pick this up
Sounds good. Natasha Lyonne is always worth a watch be it in The Slums of Beverley Hills or Comic Book Villains to genre fare like Revenant.
keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd September 2016, 08:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Sounds good. Natasha Lyonne is always worth a watch be it in The Slums of Beverley Hills or Comic Book Villains to genre fare like Revenant.
She is also very good in Orange is the New Black.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!