Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179476Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th September 2016, 10:54 AM
Cult Addict

Starrey eyes

A real 'slow burn' picture that started life as a kickstarter project I first caught this at Grimm up North festival in Manchester (to which I will be heading week after next ) and really dug it. The Blu-rays been sat on my to watch pile for a while so I decided to revisit it and see if my opinion still stands.
I'm glad to say it does still hold up, with a great central performance, some bloody violence and body horror. Its a great take on the idea of the Hollywood system operating as some faustian pact that involves eradicating your old life and self, manifesting itself physically in a transformation that is in places stomach churning.

Offspring

Estentially THE WOMAN is the sequel to this film with Pollyanna Mcintosh appearing as the woman. Adapted from the first of Jack Ketchums trilogy, its about a tribe of feral children operating in the new england area, surviving on midnight home invasions to supply food and mates. The film is short, punchy and very nasty. Its not as layered as the woman and pretty much feels like a darker take on a hills have eyes scenario but is nontheless entertaining and bloody enough for what it is. Theres a uk friendly Blu-ray out in the states that come with a commentary track.
Old 25th September 2016, 11:49 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Witch

I watched this on Friday night and, initially, thought the huge amount of praise it has received was unwarranted. However, as the film progresses and tensions between the characters, and the events which follow, increase, it grips like a vice and I was engrossed all the way to the final credits. I intend to watch it again this evening before sending the disc (oddly a DVD) back to Lovefilm tomorrow and purchase the BD next month.

Blue Crush

Rented from Lovefilm on Demdike's recommendation, this features a fairly young (late teens) Rachel McAdams as a Hawaiian surfer girl trying to make ends meet due to absent parents (alcoholic mother in Las Vegas) and surrogate mother to her younger sister. With an upcoming surf competition and some NFL players on holiday on the island, the stage is set for her to earn some money as a surf teacher and gain some sort of redemption amongst her peers when braving the big waves.

The comparisons to Chalet Girl are inevitable because it is basically the same story, though the British film does feature a slightly more concrete back story and a wonderful relationship between the protagonist and her father (superbly essayed by Bill Bailey) so it doesn't altogether matter that the story is flimsy at times. They are both feelgood films and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy Blue Crush and would happily watch them again.

Slap Shot

Mostly based on true events and the real story of a minor league ice hockey team which was being sold because of lack of interest from the fans, leading the players to increase interest by escalating the on-ice violence exponentially. Paul Newman is brilliant as the old player-coach and the dynamic shift caused by the Hanson Brothers (real brothers who were professional hockey players at the time) – basically violent thugs with childlike minds – makes this comedy a great watch and one of the best sports films I've ever seen. I watched it with the commentary by the Hanson Brothers, who provide an insight into the realities of minor-league hockey in the 1970s.

Natural City

Another Demdike recommendation, but not one I enjoyed as much as Blue Crush, perhaps because I was constantly comparing it to Blade Runner. The futuristic setting and design is beautiful to see, but it pales in comparison to Ridley Scott's superlative piece of future noir and I didn't find myself as engaged with the main characters (cops hunting down renegade cyborgs) as I should have been. That said, I would like to watch it again at some point to try if I can judge it on its own merits.
Old 25th September 2016, 11:55 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Glad you enjoyed Blue Crush and to a lesser extent Natural City and of course The Witch.
keirarts likes this.
Old 25th September 2016, 12:15 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
The Witch

I watched this on Friday night and, initially, thought the huge amount of praise it has received was unwarranted. However, as the film progresses and tensions between the characters, and the events which follow, increase, it grips like a vice and I was engrossed all the way to the final credits. I intend to watch it again this evening before sending the disc (oddly a DVD) back to Lovefilm tomorrow and purchase the BD next month.
First time i watched The Witch i ended up turning it off and going to bed. Its a film that requires complete attention and absorption i found because watching it alone in my loft with the sound cranked up and no distractions it was brilliant. Not a lot really happens but every sound and detail is important. It was a sensory experience as much as anything i thought. Also the director Robert Eggers is apparent behind a remake of Nosferatu, which initially seemed a bad idea but based on The Witch he might well pull it off.
Old 25th September 2016, 12:16 PM
Cult Addict

Green Room.

Punkers versus Boneheads to the death. Tense and brutal thriller that demands your attention. Highly recommended.
Old 25th September 2016, 12:31 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Green Room.

Punkers versus Boneheads to the death. Tense and brutal thriller that demands your attention. Highly recommended.
Nice one, J. I've been wanting to see this as soon as I saw the trailer. Is Patrick Stewart as loopy as he looks in the trailer?
Old 25th September 2016, 12:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I'd completely forgotten what Green Room was. I even saw it at Asda the other day and ignored it.

Definitely one to purchase for me.
Old 25th September 2016, 12:40 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
Nice one, J. I've been wanting to see this as soon as I saw the trailer. Is Patrick Stewart as loopy as he looks in the trailer?
He plays it cool and controlled which adds to the overall sense of hopelessness for the punks.
mr 420 likes this.
Old 25th September 2016, 12:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Out of the Dark (2014)

A couple and their daughter move to Colombia to take over a family manufacturing plant, only to realize their new home is haunted.

A film that promised much with it's Columbian setting but delivered little. Concentrating a tad too much on big business than the nitty gritty of ghostly children. Even the collective talents of Julia Styles, Scott Speedman and Stephen Rea couldn't lift this out of the mire. One or two scenes aside - the sighting of shadows at the window, the obligatory bouncing ball (Thanks Mario) - and some effective ghostly kids, Out of the Dark failed to produce many chills and ended up a disappointment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OUTOFDARK_DVD_2D.jpg (97.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 25th September 2016, 04:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Striking Distance (1993)

Bruce Willis stars as a Pittsburgh cop demoted to river patrol after an internal affairs investigation into police brutality in which he denounced his partner. Blah, blah, blah. Basically it's Bruce hunting a serial killer on the Pittsburgh rivers.

A film i'd seen once previously on vhs and didn't think much of it as i recall. However last night i really enjoyed it. Featuring a good cast of character actors - Dennis Farina, Tom Sizemore, John Mahoney, Tom Atkins and Brion James - as well as the oft maligned Sarah Jessica Parker (whom i thought looked really pretty here) who all complement Willis well especially Parker as his river cop partner.

At 95 minutes it's quite short and the action flows well following a pacy script as it twists and turns with the river. Despite it being a story of murder and police corruption it never gets bogged down or convoluted with either and the action scenes ensure it all remains lively.

As far as Bruce Willis' action thrillers go Striking Distance is no Die Hard, nor Die Hard 2 but it's a far superior vehicle to A Good Day to Die Hard.
Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4936.jpg (98.4 KB, 6 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!