Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th September 2016, 01:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Really good reviews, Demoncrat. I hope the bronchial fever is short lived and you are back to full health shortly.
Cough indeed haha. Due to my strict diet of fags and one piece of fruit a year, I hath only myself to blame, thanks to both for wishing me well...let's see how long I last this time haha....

Watched
The Invitation (Karyn Kusama, 2015)
Really wish that I hadn't put up the trailer for this a while back, as it best gone into blind I now feel. I recommend this highly.

The Legend Of Barney Thompson (2016, Robert Carlyle)
Begbie's directorial debut is a wee stoater by ra wie. Or....this film is an accomplished piece of work (for all the sassenachs on here )

Three more FF ers....
Creep (2014, Patrick Brice)
A job is a job, yes? Well, watch who is paying you. Similarities with Enduring Love not withstanding, this wrong footed me at the point where I was just about to shrug mentally, suspend that disbelief and watch a very odd wee film.

The Dyatlov Pass Incident (2013, Renny Harlin)
Yes, that is Mr Geena Davis at the helm. A group of Americans blithely wander about where they really shouldn't in this slightly creepy tale. Unsolved mystery reexamined? Check. Foreshadowing ignored? Check.
Cheeky wee ending though, so it rises above the mire slightly.

Invoked (2015, Rosa/Mendes)
A group of 20somethings go to an island for a weekend break, but it's them who get broken haha. Look, the cardinal rule here is.....If there is an ancient legend which involves trapped spirits do not hold a seance!!! Sheesh etc. Some nice touches, but strictly for FFFans.

After I've stopped laughing, I will let you all know what I thought of Blair Witch

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th September 2016, 02:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Awwwwww. There's still time!!
Ignoring the 3 I saw in February. COUGH!!!
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th September 2016, 08:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

BACK FROM HELL – Gnarly post-Evil Dead flick from director Matt Jaissle. 'Back From Hell' is the tale of a priest and his old friend, an actor who made it big in Hollywood before becoming a prolific serial killer after a satanic ceremony went wrong. You know the way it goes. I'm not sure about the 'big in Hollywood' thing, though – he looks like he'd be more at home delivering pizza in 1985 or something. But he does seem to have an enormous cellar full of cadavers. 'Back From Hell' is not a shot-on-video flick, but it does have a very similar aesthetic. That is, it's an obvious labour of love made in a backyard by someone who had yet to fully develop a grasp of cinematic basics. So it's disjointed and all over the place, and doesn't make a lick of sense. On one level. But in another way, and unlike a lot of similar ultra lo fi productions, 'Back From Hell' conjures up a very definite and consistent atmosphere, a world unto itself if you like. Murky 16mm phtography takes us into a realm of grungy interiors and dilapidated exteriors. Bleak looking houses in desolate countryside locations loom up. People sit and read the bible accompanied by over-loud clock ticking sounds and the meaow of a cat on a tape loop. It's these incidentals that give 'Back From Hell' real flavour, somehow. Of course there's the gore and the horror stuff, strung together by a plot line that gradually pales and fades like seaweed in the depths and doesn't really open up too much meaning to the viewer. It's something to do with occult stuff, things happen, a hand reaches out of said bible and grabs priest's face, someone goes in a house. On a slightly different note, Hollywood guy slashes a bum's throat, then rips out his larynx and throws it in the face of another bum who has the audacity to raise concern over his pal's demise. Contemptuous or what? Sometimes that's all you need when you're giving it to The Man. Matt Jaissle went on to do bad taste anti-classic 'The Necro Files' and a couple of others. This is good stuff for lovers of yesteryear's bargain basement fan cinema slime. Currently out on Massacre Video.
Old 30th September 2016, 11:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
BACK FROM HELL – Gnarly post-Evil Dead flick from director Matt Jaissle. 'Back From Hell' is the tale of a priest and his old friend, an actor who made it big in Hollywood before becoming a prolific serial killer after a satanic ceremony went wrong. You know the way it goes. I'm not sure about the 'big in Hollywood' thing, though – he looks like he'd be more at home delivering pizza in 1985 or something. But he does seem to have an enormous cellar full of cadavers. 'Back From Hell' is not a shot-on-video flick, but it does have a very similar aesthetic. That is, it's an obvious labour of love made in a backyard by someone who had yet to fully develop a grasp of cinematic basics. So it's disjointed and all over the place, and doesn't make a lick of sense. On one level. But in another way, and unlike a lot of similar ultra lo fi productions, 'Back From Hell' conjures up a very definite and consistent atmosphere, a world unto itself if you like. Murky 16mm phtography takes us into a realm of grungy interiors and dilapidated exteriors. Bleak looking houses in desolate countryside locations loom up. People sit and read the bible accompanied by over-loud clock ticking sounds and the meaow of a cat on a tape loop. It's these incidentals that give 'Back From Hell' real flavour, somehow. Of course there's the gore and the horror stuff, strung together by a plot line that gradually pales and fades like seaweed in the depths and doesn't really open up too much meaning to the viewer. It's something to do with occult stuff, things happen, a hand reaches out of said bible and grabs priest's face, someone goes in a house. On a slightly different note, Hollywood guy slashes a bum's throat, then rips out his larynx and throws it in the face of another bum who has the audacity to raise concern over his pal's demise. Contemptuous or what? Sometimes that's all you need when you're giving it to The Man. Matt Jaissle went on to do bad taste anti-classic 'The Necro Files' and a couple of others. This is good stuff for lovers of yesteryear's bargain basement fan cinema slime. Currently out on Massacre Video.
Another sterling review F. Though in my current state, Genevieve would look the same I feel
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

[B]
Old 1st October 2016, 02:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE BOY – Mainstream horror in which a babysitter is hired by a rich couple to look after their 'kid', a porcelain doll. Scenes of Lauren Cohan coming to grips with the fact she's supposed to care for an inanimate object and gradually being seduced into the role are quite interesting, and it's well put together from start to finish. The 'finish' in question is unfortunately a bit wack in some ways, as the film takes a detour away from the psychological / supernatural and into sort-of slasher territory. Fine, but that could all have been amped up a bit more, made a bit more sickly given the rich couple's ultimate designs. But it's just not that kind of movie. As it stands, it's vaguelly intriguing with a few creepy bits and some nice atmosphere, and manages reasonably well to entertain.

GREEN ROOM – From the maker of 'Blue Ruin'. 'Green Room' carries forward that film's approach, which basically involves giving genre filmmaking a semi art-house spin, so really 'Green Room' does for siege movies what 'Blue Ruin' did for the humble revenge flick. Here we have some broke punks who end up playing a gig at some kind of neo-nazi hang-out on the edge of town. The band start out by blasting the DK's 'Nazi Punks F*ck Off' at a bunch of skins, but it goes from bad to worse for them when they stumble upon a murder scene and find that head fascist Patrick Stewart has them trapped back stage. A very good movie which has one foot in action thriller territory but plays out more like a certain kind of American indie flick, with a sort of cryptic, languid feel to it even when the blood starts to spurt. Recommended.
Old 1st October 2016, 02:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Vampyros Lesbos (1970)

One of Jess Franco's most infamous films. It stars the gorgeous Soledad Miranda who entices women to her island home via exotic and erotic striptease acts at a club. Once there she ensnares them in with her vampiric will and drinks their bolod in order to live forever.

I've got to be honest and say plot wise there really isn't an awful lot going on. The lovely Ewa Stroemberg is lured to the isolated island in the Med, is seduced by the countess and no one including Dennis Price and Franco regular Paul Muller can work out what is wrong with her.

However the lure of Vampyros Lesbos isn't the story, it's everything else. For the Spanish maverick Franco has created a surreal melancholic poem about vampiric loneliness. There's plenty of erotica although perhaps not as much as the films title might suggest. Far from pounding the viewer into submission with endless zoom shots of hairy sexuality, Franco is far more subtle, intercutting scorpions, moths and kites in the sky with the lingering moments of sensuality.

The film's soundtrack is a joy. Thick with hedonistic eastern influences and jazz and rock motifs, it's skillfully integrated into the film carefully toying with the ears and mind as Franco's sumptuous visuals work their way into our conscious. Coming across like a fever dream, Vampyros Lesbos is recommended late night viewing.

The UK dvd from Second Sight is beautifully restored and looks stunning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vampyros_lesbos_poster.jpg (22.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 1st October 2016, 06:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Off to see Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children in the next half hour and if itwe not to late when I get back going to watch the extended cut of th shining.
Old 1st October 2016, 06:46 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Off to see Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children in the next half hour and if itwe not to late when I get back going to watch the extended cut of th shining.
Enjoy!

I would have thought you'd be watching the shorter cut though, what with missing the 'e' off.
Old 1st October 2016, 10:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Didn't get too see Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children as there were no seats left when we got there. So just went for something to eat and a drink.

Now watching the shining. Forgotten how much I hate the Shelly duval character what a bitch, no jury would find anyone guilty if they killed her.I really can't remember her being so annoying in the book.
keirarts likes this.
Old 1st October 2016, 10:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Didn't get too see Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children as there were no seats left when we got there. So just went for something to eat and a drink.

Now watching the shining. Forgotten how much I hate the Shelly duval character what a bitch, no jury would find anyone guilty if they killed her.I really can't remember her being so annoying in the book.
Just one of the reasons I enjoy the book so much more than the film!
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!