Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th October 2016, 07:00 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Film No.4

Attachment 183270

On the way to the hospital to give birth to their first child Amelia and her husband are involved in a car crash which costs her husband his life. Jumping forward six year and Amelia and her son Sam are still living alone and sam is a little terror obsessed with the presence of monsters his fear and determination to protect his mother makes him very violent towards her and kids at his school resulting in him having to be removed from the school. His behaviour gets worse and worse and even more violent towards his mother when he discovers a book called Mister Babadook.

Right from the get go The Babadook is a really annoying film and i was tempted to turn it off three maybe four times. First off the kid is constantly screaming his head off and the longer the film goes on the worse it becomes. This is a real mixed bag when ever The Babadook appears it looks pretty stupid and the mother's descent into madness is more annoying than terrifying the only time i felt uncomfortable was with the treatment of the kid even if to begin with he was an irritating little brat. I liked the use of colour to make it seem like they were living inside the Mister Babadook storybook the house they live in is almost completely black and grey and the kid is always dressed in black and grey.

Oh and that ending is a load of Bolladook

This was not for me it was really hard to sit through i couldnt wait for it to be over. Not one i will ever watch again. I have seen people say you have to understand the deeper meaning behind the film to get it but its hard to get over the amount of annoyances the films had for long enough to be able to dig deeper.

The Babadook gets a very unimpressive

4/10
Aw ffs Nordy! Its a brilliant film.
Old 5th October 2016, 08:49 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Aw ffs Nordy! Its a brilliant film.

Just couldnt get along with it.
Old 5th October 2016, 10:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

House of Frankenstein (1944)

I'll keep this brief. Seeing as this was playing in the Firefly household i followed House of 1000 Corpses with this Universal monster fest. As much as i love these monster mash ups they all tend to blur into one with me, i did however know there was a bit of a turkey among them and this is it.

How can a film starring Boris Karloff, Lon Chaney Jr reprising his Larry Talbot / Wolf Man role and John Carradine be a bit of a turkey? Well the answer is the monsters don't make an appearance until the final ten minutes and the only one that does, Carradine's Dracula is a sloppy parody.

Karloff, Chaney Jr and J. Carrol Naish as the faithful hunchback Daniel, try their best with a workmanlike script that plays more like a portmanteau than a straight forward film with the dalliances with each of the famed monsters in each tale. Dracula for example doesn't even make it past the half hour mark. The quicksand ending is frankly embarrassing to boot. Thankfully things would be better with the next years follow up film House of Dracula.
Old 5th October 2016, 10:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I've read it treb.
But putting that to one side, it is a hoot and recommend it highly, just be warned that it deviates from the source text somewhat....as did TWD in its first series cough, and look how that turned out.
at least its sticks to the source material more than lucifer did, if they had i could of seen lucifer being an amazing show instead of an ok police procedure show with supernatural elements. mind i do think lucifer would be a very expensive show if they had followed the comics
keirarts likes this.
Old 5th October 2016, 11:08 PM
Cult Master

Film No. 5

the_haunting_poster.jpg

Hill house has a very strange and mysterious past. Over the years there have been many horrible events from suspicious deaths to the insanity of a past resident. Dr. Markway is an anthropologist with an interest in psychic phenomena. Doing some research he discovers Hill House and its turbulent past he gets a small team together to investigate the strange goings on at the house. One of the women he takes along is Eleanor a very odd eccentric almost childlike lady who always seems to be right on the edge of insanity.Eleanor is still in the grips of her mother who died recently who she spent her whole adult life looking after. Then there is Theodora a real tough smart ass lady with an attitude and then there is Luke the heir to the mansion and cynical big mouth asshole. As soon as they enter the mansion they feel like they are not alone and it does not take long before its obvious they are right with banging ,voices and other strange noises. It seems like the house has more of an interest in Eleanor than the rest of the group.

Just one look at the dark exterior of the house you get a real creepy feeling before we ever step foot inside which is where it get much worse. The more time Eleanor spends at Hill House the more her mental state deteriorates always mentioning her mother and quickly shying away and refusing to discuss her with anyone but her rapid descent not only takes the form of insane ramblings but in extreme temper tantrums towards the other members of the group. Eleanor feels she belongs in Hill House but does Hill House want Eleanor?

The Haunting does a great job of keeping you on the edge of your seat and keeps you guessing what terror waits around the next corner behind the next closed door and within the walls of Hill House. This really is a fantastic psychological horror film we never see anything physical apart from a door handle turning from time to time or a bulging door but there is no creature or ghost or man in the shadows everything that happens is as much in the viewers minds as it is in the minds of the people present in the house itself. The fear we create in our own minds is far more terrifying than any boogey man and thats what The Haunting does so well it takes you to that place a place that no one really wants to go.

8/10
Old 5th October 2016, 11:52 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Film No. 5

Attachment 183313

Hill house has a very strange and mysterious past. Over the years there have been many horrible events from suspicious deaths to the insanity of a past resident. Dr. Markway is an anthropologist with an interest in psychic phenomena. Doing some research he discovers Hill House and its turbulent past he gets a small team together to investigate the strange goings on at the house. One of the women he takes along is Eleanor a very odd eccentric almost childlike lady who always seems to be right on the edge of insanity.Eleanor is still in the grips of her mother who died recently who she spent her whole adult life looking after. Then there is Theodora a real tough smart ass lady with an attitude and then there is Luke the heir to the mansion and cynical big mouth asshole. As soon as they enter the mansion they feel like they are not alone and it does not take long before its obvious they are right with banging ,voices and other strange noises. It seems like the house has more of an interest in Eleanor than the rest of the group.

Just one look at the dark exterior of the house you get a real creepy feeling before we ever step foot inside which is where it get much worse. The more time Eleanor spends at Hill House the more her mental state deteriorates always mentioning her mother and quickly shying away and refusing to discuss her with anyone but her rapid descent not only takes the form of insane ramblings but in extreme temper tantrums towards the other members of the group. Eleanor feels she belongs in Hill House but does Hill House want Eleanor?

The Haunting does a great job of keeping you on the edge of your seat and keeps you guessing what terror waits around the next corner behind the next closed door and within the walls of Hill House. This really is a fantastic psychological horror film we never see anything physical apart from a door handle turning from time to time or a bulging door but there is no creature or ghost or man in the shadows everything that happens is as much in the viewers minds as it is in the minds of the people present in the house itself. The fear we create in our own minds is far more terrifying than any boogey man and thats what The Haunting does so well it takes you to that place a place that no one really wants to go.

8/10
Good call Nord! I very nearly gave this a rewatch myself tonight! Opted for Bavas Black Sabbath instead, a first time viewing.
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th October 2016, 02:27 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Good call Nord! I very nearly gave this a rewatch myself tonight! Opted for Bavas Black Sabbath instead, a first time viewing.
Don't suppose you'd care to review it in the Halloween Horrors thread?
J Harker likes this.
Old 6th October 2016, 08:04 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Don't suppose you'd care to review it in the Halloween Horrors thread?
Indeed i would and will Dem. I'll get it done today, be my first horror film of the month or I'd have been in there already.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 6th October 2016, 08:14 AM
Cult Acolyte

Saw The Girl on the Train at the cinema today. Emily Blunt is an alcoholic who becomes the prime suspect when her ex-husband and partner's nanny (who looks a lot like his new wife) turns up murdered in this entertaining thriller. Nothing special but decent.
Old 6th October 2016, 11:16 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Phantasm (1979)

**** out of *****

Phantasm II (1988)

***1/2 out of *****

Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead (1994)

**1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Like this? Share it using the links below!