All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th March 2010, 11:08 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggenhagen View Post
Alright, so I was at Frightfest here in Glasgow last weekend so I've seen quite a few horror films of late! I won't go into too much detail but here's a quick rundown of what I thought of what I saw (no spoilers)...

Frozen

I really enjoyed this. The fact that you never get bored even though you're watching people stuck on a ski lift is a pretty big feat. Would certainly recommend giving it a view.

2001 Maniacs: Field Of Screams

Terrible. Woefully bad. I just don't have the tolerance for zero budget, shot on video stuff anymore. It's dull, nowhere near as gory as a lot of people would have you believe and nowhere near as outrageously un-PC as it would like to think. It's just too badly shot and acted to have any impact on any level. I'm sure I'll get shot down for saying all that but I'll stand my ground. It's a shame because Tim Sullivan, the director, came on first to introduce the film and he was a riot. After his introduction I was looking forward to the film so it came as a massive disappointment to see the final product. He said after the film that it cost $400,000 to shoot over 10 days. Well, it's obvious that it only took 10 days but I've no idea where the hell the money went cos it looks like it was shot for a fraction of that.

Stag Night

Certainly better than the film that preceded it, this was merely ok. Didn't do anything unexpected, had one interesting death (which received a cheer from the crowd) and was well enough made. Even though the film is set in the underground (and this will sound weird) the image was too dark for me and I kept losing interest because I couldn't really tell exactly what was going on. There are a few great little sequences in it, especially towards the end, but none of the characters are likeable so ultimately I didn't care what happened. Didn't really go for the ending either.

It's also worth noting that a fist fight broke out in the cinema during this screening - not sure the exact story but it seems like a couple of drunken neds were niggling a couple sat next to them and it ended up in a few punches being thrown and the police getting called. Certainly livened up the start of the movie.

Lizard In A Woman's Skin

Loved it. This was only the second time I'd seen the film but it was a completely different experience this time round. First time was at Dead By Dawn and the print was worn out and the subtitles were being typed live by a translator. It was a great, and rare, opportunity to see it back then but this screening blew that one away. We were informed before the screening that all the restored elements hadn't been completed in time for the event so we watched a print made up from all the different source elements being used in the upcoming dvd release - which meant that the picture quality fluctuated at points. I think that the film looked, and sounded, amazing. Can't wait for the dvd to come out - just a shame they aren't doing a blu-ray transfer (I don't think they are anyway).

Amer

Can't really comment, fell asleep after about 10 minutes and didn't wake up until about 10 minutes from the end. Sorry. Didn't particularly enjoy what I did see - I started to bore of the lack of dialogue though.

REC 2

Not as good as the first movie but still enjoyed it. The only problem really is that once you've seen the first film you know what to expect so you can see the scares coming a mile off. Really liked the way they got round not having the tv camera in there this time and managed to have a couple of different camera choices to follow the action around. Def worth a watch.

Splice

I had no idea what this was about, had seen no promotional material at all, and thoroughly enjoyed what I saw. Great, simple little movie. Not really a horror film as such but definitely fits in the category. The digital effects are amazing and I had no problem in completely believing what I was watching. Quite surprisingly disturbing in points (one scene in particular had the audience in disbelief) I'd be interested in seeing this one with a normal cinema going crowd to see what some of their reactions are. Will definitely be going to check this out again.

Harpoon: Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre

Was pretty smashed by this point, and wasn't expecting much, but this was fun too. Def one to watch with a stack of booze and your mates round. Only quite hazy recollections so I won't try and recount the film.

So that was that. A pretty good weekend all in.
Im looking forward to Frozen and 2001 Manaics sequel, I quite enjoyed the remake of the first movie he done. That was a low budget movie too but was very fun and had some good gore. Not sure if the sequel cost less or more though. Am stoked for [rec] 2 although may cinema release date is way too far away, it sucks . And splice is another movie im lookin forward too, looked amazing from the pix I seen.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 4th March 2010, 11:32 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
That was a low budget movie too but was very fun and had some good gore. Not sure if the sequel cost less or more though.
Sullivan said that the previous 2001 Maniacs had a budget of $2,500,000 so the new one was done for less than a fifth of that... I haven't seen 2001 Maniacs but I bet the drop in budget shows big time.

Trampy And The Tramp win Curry Lover(s) of the Year award at the Scottish Curry Awards 2010

www.trampyandthetramp.blogspot.com
Old 4th March 2010, 12:48 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak View Post
Now I like Smith's other films and fancied this, but I'm not sure it's going to make sense.

You can **** with my head as much as you like...knock yourself out...for 88 minutes. But you better explain yourself during the final 2 minutes. I'm simple like that.
Which is why I LOVE "Wild at Heart" but hate "Lost Highway".

So will I be enlightened at the end...or left scratching my scalp in confusion and annoyance?
Somewhere between the two, really! It's definitely a "make of this what you will" flick, but I think there is a key incident which can be seen as the start of the shennanigans.

But, the thing is, I like vague films that don't explain matters, so maybe I am not the person to ask!

Old 4th March 2010, 06:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Bury Me High - There are some good action set pieces, especially in the final thirty minutes of this early 90's HK flick. Pretty violent too with quite a high body count. Well worth watching for underrated Chin Kar Lok fighting Yuen Wah. Moon Lee and Sibelle Hu help make it worthwhile too.

Triangle - I see there has been a bit of talk about this one already. It is so difficult to pull off genre films with a hint of time travel as you end up scrutinising every little detail to the point you can miss the overall effect. This comes close to getting away with it as it creates a loop back to where is begins. For me it doesn't quite make it though and here I am scratching my scalp. No explanation comes as to why Melissa George's character is going through this. You just have to accept it. Unlike Time Crimes that I bought into straight away, I think I will need to give this one at least another viewing for me to make my mind up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bury Me High.jpg (5.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Triangle.jpg (8.1 KB, 5 views)

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!

Last edited by DeadAlive; 5th March 2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 4th March 2010, 06:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggenhagen View Post
Sullivan said that the previous 2001 Maniacs had a budget of $2,500,000 so the new one was done for less than a fifth of that... I haven't seen 2001 Maniacs but I bet the drop in budget shows big time.
Ah right.
That dont sound too good. They are meant to release a directors cut of the first one on the dvd of the new movie. Am interested to see how that version is.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 4th March 2010, 06:25 PM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

Default re: What films have you seen recently?

House of the Devil - This seems to have gotten some fairly good buzz, but I just don't get it. Extremely slow moving, climaxing in some fairly good imagery but a dissappointing pay off.

When the credits rolled, I was just so underwhelmed the only thought in my head was: Is that it?
Old 4th March 2010, 07:27 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadAlive View Post
No explanation comes as to why Melissa George's character is going through this. You just have to accept it.
I'm not so sure: SPOILER ALERT!!!

I presumed that she was being punished with a Sisyphean (hence the name of the ship and the mini lecture on Sisyphus) task as a punishment for her abuse of and resentment towards her son.
Old 4th March 2010, 09:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Ah! The bolder story. I didn't make the connection as I was only half listening to the bits on the yacht with my Mrs asking me what the film was about. I really do need to watch it again then but gag the wife first.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 4th March 2010, 11:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Just rewatched The Mist but this time in Black and White.
God how I love that movie, such a awesome movie, keeps you entertained till the end and then hits ya with that OMFG ending. Of course the ending looses its impact after 2 viewings but still a awesome movie.

Just shows you, what independent horror cinema can really do these days. Hope Darabont makes a another horror soon.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 5th March 2010, 12:07 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

do you have the 2 disc with the B/W version, because i have the single disc region 1 disc and just turned the color down for the B/W, apparently Darabont has said that's the way to do it if you didn't get the 2 disc.

Like this? Share it using the links below!