Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2016, 12:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

DANGEROUS MEN – Takes us into a realm of cinema where sheer badness gives way to total madness, and, in this case, extreme radness. Note that the last sentence only works because the director is / was known by the name of John Rad... what I'm trying to say, dewd, is that 'Dangerous Men' is really quite far from most people's idea of 'rad' and much closer to their sense of 'a film so incoherent even Godfrey Ho would piss on it'. That still makes it great in my book. Can I even summarise what it's about? Some cop guy is killed on a beach by two hoods, leaving his bereft gf with a lust for vengeance against all sleazy men. So for about an hour it plays out as a wonkily put together revenge flick which looks like it was shot in different time zones (because it was, some sequences were filmed decades apart with very detectable effects on the ageing players etc). Then it changes, and becomes some confused search for a villain who looks like a WWE reject. It all ends on a perfectly underwhelming note. 'Dangerous Men', it has to be said, is paraquat for the mind, and you will emerge from a viewing either with white light shining in your eyes or drooling and clutching a rag doll. If you were to watch a triple bill including it and its nearest blood relatives, 'Samurai Cop' and 'The Miami Connection', well I don't know what would happen but you might never be the same again. Then again, you might just feel you've watched a bunch of really badly made late eighties action flicks. If the thought of the latter turns you on, then get it now.

THE WITCH – Kind of the antithesis of the film I've just written about, 'The Witch' is a really well made, pitch perfect excursion into minds beleaguered by grief, loss and maybe the supernatural. You probably all know that it's about a family who, in exile from their New England community, take refuge in a forest in the belief that it will sustain them in isolation. Various tragedies happen, mostly befalling the kids, and the family increasingly come to believe that witchcraft is being used against them. Quite a lot of the reviews focussed on the “is this supernatural stuff really happening, or is it all psychological” aspect of 'The Witch', but in a way this is its least interesting side. What it does well is really build a sense of foreboding and sustain an ominous feeling throughout. Visually it's great, and achingly Autumnal in look and atmosphere, its imagery really piling on the sense of a morbid change in the season of the heart. Woah, that last bit was pretentious even for me. Don't get too flowery Frankie, remember Chris Finch is in there. I will say this about 'The Witch' – it's a film that needs to be watched carefully, and those expecting a pay-off every few minutes or so might be disappointed. It's slow, rewards patience, and some of it didn't really grab me even though I could see the quality, if you know what I mean. There are subtleties and little clues as to what's going on that that demand attention and immersion, so it's not really a 'just in from the pub' kind of flick. What it is is a highly atmospheric journey into the heart of the woods, where you might just find witches cavorting in the sky. Very good film which I recommend that you check out if you haven't already.
Old 15th October 2016, 12:10 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

THE WITCH – Kind of the antithesis of the film I've just written about, 'The Witch' is a really well made, pitch perfect excursion into minds beleaguered by grief, loss and maybe the supernatural. You probably all know that it's about a family who, in exile from their New England community, take refuge in a forest in the belief that it will sustain them in isolation. Various tragedies happen, mostly befalling the kids, and the family increasingly come to believe that witchcraft is being used against them. Quite a lot of the reviews focussed on the “is this supernatural stuff really happening, or is it all psychological” aspect of 'The Witch', but in a way this is its least interesting side. What it does well is really build a sense of foreboding and sustain an ominous feeling throughout. Visually it's great, and achingly Autumnal in look and atmosphere, its imagery really piling on the sense of a morbid change in the season of the heart. Woah, that last bit was pretentious even for me. Don't get too flowery Frankie, remember Chris Finch is in there. I will say this about 'The Witch' – it's a film that needs to be watched carefully, and those expecting a pay-off every few minutes or so might be disappointed. It's slow, rewards patience, and some of it didn't really grab me even though I could see the quality, if you know what I mean. There are subtleties and little clues as to what's going on that that demand attention and immersion, so it's not really a 'just in from the pub' kind of flick. What it is is a highly atmospheric journey into the heart of the woods, where you might just see witches cavorting in the sky. Very good film which I recommend that you check out if you haven't already.
At last. Someone like me who watched the film as a hauntingly beautiful supernatural horror that demands your attention rather than a metaphor for a load of uninteresting bollocks.
Old 15th October 2016, 12:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
DANGEROUS MEN – Takes us into a realm of cinema where sheer badness gives way to total madness, and, in this case, extreme radness. Note that the last sentence only works because the director is / was known by the name of John Rad... what I'm trying to say, dewd, is that 'Dangerous Men' is really quite far from most people's idea of 'rad' and much closer to their sense of 'a film so incoherent even Godfrey Ho would piss on it'. That still makes it great in my book. Can I even summarise what it's about? Some cop guy is killed on a beach by two hoods, leaving his bereft gf with a lust for vengeance against all sleazy men. So for about an hour it plays out as a wonkily put together revenge flick which looks like it was shot in different time zones (because it was, some sequences were filmed decades apart with very detectable effects on the ageing players etc). Then it changes, and becomes some confused search for a villain who looks like a WWE reject. It all ends on a perfectly underwhelming note. 'Dangerous Men', it has to be said, is paraquat for the mind, and you will emerge from a viewing either with white light shining in your eyes or drooling and clutching a rag doll. If you were to watch a triple bill including it and its nearest blood relatives, 'Samurai Cop' and 'The Miami Connection', well I don't know what would happen but you might never be the same again. Then again, you might just feel you've watched a bunch of really badly made late eighties action flicks. If the thought of the latter turns you on, then get it now.
Dangerous Men was one of the lucky contestants on RedLetterMedia's Best of the Worst...

keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 15th October 2016, 12:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
At last. Someone like me who watched the film as a hauntingly beautiful supernatural horror that demands your attention rather than a metaphor for a load of uninteresting bollocks.
Thought it'd be quite well received on the Labs. It works equally well as a literal rendering of the supernatural or as a metaphor for, erm, something to with grief and awakening an shit or something. I actually quite liked the fact that it's indeterminate.
Old 15th October 2016, 12:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
Dangerous Men was one of the lucky contestants on RedLetterMedia's Best of the Worst...

There's no doubt it's a bad, bad movie, but so entertaining. Have you seen it? If not, you should. The likes of 'Cyclone' are puny by comparison, 'Dangerous Men' is a whole mountain of bilge.
MacBlayne and keirarts like this.
Old 15th October 2016, 12:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Thought it'd be quite well received on the Labs. It works equally well as a literal rendering of the supernatural or as a metaphor for, erm, something to with grief and awakening an shit or something. I actually quite liked the fact that it's indeterminate.
I did as well. However when you read some reviews on here, people seem to concentrate on the puberty metaphors rather than the brilliance of the supernatural themes.
Old 15th October 2016, 12:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
There's no doubt it's a bad, bad movie, but so entertaining. Have you seen it? If not, you should. The likes of 'Cyclone' are puny by comparison, 'Dangerous Men' is a whole mountain of bilge.
Haven't seen it yet but after seeing RLM's reaction to it (they even had a flow chart to try and keep track of characters and their relationship with each other - they failed), I really wanted to. However, with money being tight, I decided not to import a bad film. Plus, there was also the fact that it is extremely difficult to get a group of friends to watch it with me.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 15th October 2016, 12:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:

Quote:
Haven't seen it yet but after seeing RLM's reaction to it (they even had a flow chart to try and keep track of characters and their relationship with each other - they failed), I really wanted to. However, with money being tight, I decided not to import a bad film. Plus, there was also the fact that it is extremely difficult to get a group of friends to watch it with me.
Man, if you watch 'Dangerous Men' in any sort of company, let's face it you're going to LOSE friends...
Old 15th October 2016, 12:41 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I also loved it and think it's a damn shame that the British release does not have a commentary, whereas the US one does. I'm going to wait until the price drops a little and it's easier to import and then pick up the American BD.
Old 15th October 2016, 12:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Man, if you watch 'Dangerous Men' in any sort of company, let's face it you're going to LOSE friends...

Like this? Share it using the links below!