Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2016, 12:50 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I also loved it and think it's a damn shame that the British release does not have a commentary, whereas the US one does. I'm going to wait until the price drops a little and it's easier to import and then pick up the American BD.
I recently imported the Canadian steelbook (which is a thing of beauty) and came to about £15 including postage from Amazon.ca.

I will be watching it for the first time sometime later this month - when the mood feels more 'witchy' - and am really looking forward to it.
Old 15th October 2016, 04:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Midnight Cowboy (1969)

I watched this for the very first time last night. Jon Voight stars as a Texan who has a gift with the ladies, thinking he'll find a rich woman to live with he sets off to New York as a hustler. He soon comes across the snaky Ratzo Rizzo (Dustin Hoffman) a fellow down n' out who rips him off but they soon become friends.

As the end credits rolled i was left in an unusual frame of mind, similar to when i first saw Easy Rider, a film from that very same year. I don't know if it was the similarities in characters being basically two outcasts looking out for one another in a hostile world or maybe the music - Harry Nilsson's Everybody's Talkin' could have been lifted direct from Easy Rider or just the general feel that director John Schlesinger gives the film which gave me laughs, joy, despair and basically everything a film can do. Most likely all these things combined.

No matter the reason i think Midnight Cowboy will be a film i return to with steady frequency as there's a lot to take in and more than meets the eye on a first viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Midnight_Cowboy.jpg (27.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 15th October 2016, 05:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ironman 7.7/10

The Mummy (1959) 8/10

Old 15th October 2016, 05:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Midnight Cowboy (1969)

I watched this for the very first time last night. Jon Voight stars as a Texan who has a gift with the ladies, thinking he'll find a rich woman to live with he sets off to New York as a hustler. He soon comes across the snaky Ratzo Rizzo (Dustin Hoffman) a fellow down n' out who rips him off but they soon become friends.

As the end credits rolled i was left in an unusual frame of mind, similar to when i first saw Easy Rider, a film from that very same year. I don't know if it was the similarities in characters being basically two outcasts looking out for one another in a hostile world or maybe the music - Harry Nilsson's Everybody's Talkin' could have been lifted direct from Easy Rider or just the general feel that director John Schlesinger gives the film which gave me laughs, joy, despair and basically everything a film can do. Most likely all these things combined.

No matter the reason i think Midnight Cowboy will be a film i return to with steady frequency as there's a lot to take in and more than meets the eye on a first viewing.
A firm favourite of mine. Quite haunting... something to do with the ambiguity of the main character and the strangeness of late sixties / early seventies NY (second hand, I'm not Lou Reed or something). There's something unsettling about it that went down well at 0300 on summer nights.
Old 15th October 2016, 06:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
A firm favourite of mine. Quite haunting... something to do with the ambiguity of the main character and the strangeness of late sixties / early seventies NY (second hand, I'm not Lou Reed or something). There's something unsettling about it that went down well at 0300 on summer nights.
Oddly that was the time i was watching. It was haunting and unsettling but also quite beautiful too. As i mentioned it gave me the same vibes as Easy Rider which is now a top 10 film of mine.
Old 15th October 2016, 06:32 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Oddly that was the time i was watching. It was haunting and unsettling but also quite beautiful too. As i mentioned it gave me the same vibes as Easy Rider which is now a top 10 film of mine.
I'm another fan of Midnight Cowboy, a film which is both haunting and uplifting. There is something about the sleaze of 42nd Street and the accompanying prostitution, the grime of Ratso's abode and his health condition, which is unspecified but probably HIV/AIDS, but the way Ratso and Joe try and make the best of the situation and the compassion between the two men which is ultimately endearing and beautiful.
Old 15th October 2016, 06:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Body Parts (1991)

*** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 15th October 2016, 06:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The first reported case of AIDS in the US wasn't until 1981, a recent forensic study narrowed down the first actual case to 1968, but Schlesinger wouldn't of had any idea about the disease and the novel was written in 1965.

In the book Ratso dies of Pneumonia because of his living conditions.
Old 15th October 2016, 07:11 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
The first reported case of AIDS in the US wasn't until 1981, a recent forensic study narrowed down the first actual case to 1968, but Schlesinger wouldn't of had any idea about the disease and the novel was written in 1965.

In the book Ratso dies of Pneumonia because of his living conditions.
That's a good point – I'd forgotten about her recent – relatively speaking – AIDS is. When watching the film, I'd always assumed Ratso died because his immune system was heavily compromised by HIV or AIDS, hence the reason he succumbed to pneumonia.
keirarts likes this.
Old 16th October 2016, 07:33 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Blood Father (2016)

***1/2 out of *****

MacBlayne and keirarts like this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Like this? Share it using the links below!