Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th October 2016, 08:24 AM
Cult Master

Just watched the original Arrow release of Tinto Brass's 'Cheeky' (pre-white cover, catalogue no: FCD 111)

Blimey! The lead actress is a bit on the unattractive side isn't she! Other than that, there are a lot of Jesus Franco influenced camera zooms into a girls nether regions!

Other than 'Caligula', I don't think I have seen anything by Mr. Brass. Is 'Cheeky' a good representation of his work? (i.e ugly girls, lots of nudity, lesbianism and a lack of real story)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 17th October 2016, 12:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Just watched the original Arrow release of Tinto Brass's 'Cheeky' (pre-white cover, catalogue no: FCD 111)

Blimey! The lead actress is a bit on the unattractive side isn't she! Other than that, there are a lot of Jesus Franco influenced camera zooms into a girls nether regions!

Other than 'Caligula', I don't think I have seen anything by Mr. Brass. Is 'Cheeky' a good representation of his work? (i.e ugly girls, lots of nudity, lesbianism and a lack of real story)
Salon Kitty is the only thing of his I've ever seen all the way through, a stately paced piece of work if there ever was. Whilst JF can enduce a trance with his meandering, to my mind TB has no "agenda" other than showing the goods, and is therefore a less interesting director. Any help??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th October 2016, 12:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Salon Kitty is the only thing of his I've ever seen all the way through, a stately paced piece of work if there ever was. Whilst JF can enduce a trance with his meandering, to my mind TB has no "agenda" other than showing the goods, and is therefore a less interesting director. Any help??
He is interesting from an academic perspective, as his work typifies the relationship between the director and the voyeur.

However, as for entertainment, he is pretty much useless.
Old 17th October 2016, 01:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
He is interesting from an academic perspective, as his work typifies the relationship between the director and the voyeur.

However, as for entertainment, he is pretty much useless.
Indeed, i'll stick with Jesus methinks
MacBlayne and keirarts like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th October 2016, 01:57 PM
Seasoned Cultist

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)

***1/2 out of *****

MacBlayne, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 17th October 2016, 02:54 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Haxan (1922)

Benjamin Christensen's brilliant docudrama exploring the role of superstition in medieval minds and the way in which witchcraft was always deemed responsible for anything out of the ordinary especially mental health issues and the age old crime of basically growing old.

The film depicts many satanic and occult activities from the concocting of potions and black magic rituals with the Devil himself to the capture and torture of those suspected of witchcraft.

Way ahead of it's time, even now it's strong stuff in places, especially the graphic descriptions of torture and dramatized look at the satanic rites conducted in the presence of the dark one himself. Several sequences made me feel uneasy and this feeling was more than aided by a terrific atmospheric score from Bronnt Industries Kapital specially created for this release. I did begin with the original Danish premier soundtrack but it was just too jolly for what was taking place on screen.

It was interesting to note how much of this film was referenced in this years The Witch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Haxan_sv_poster.jpg (28.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 17th October 2016, 05:32 PM
Cult Master

Film No.13

The-Greasy-Strangler-poster.jpg

Big Ronnie and his son Brayden run a walking disco tour around LA. Ronnie and Brayden have a very close relationship they work together and live together with the agreement that Brayden does all the cooking for his father but it's gotta be GREASY. On one of the walking tours Brayden falls for one of the customers Janet which makes his father crazy jealous and so begins a power struggle for Janets affection. Meanwhile a grease covered maniac is stalking the streets at night on a greasy rampage.

WHAT THE HELL DID I WATCH.

This is all that keeps playing through my head while i was watching this. Just like the title of the film the whole thing is greasy as F***. The music is annoying and will play over and over in your head long after the film ends. Big Ronnie spends most of the film naked with a big 15 inch love lenght swinging in the wind. There is a lot of men walking around in underpants and knee high socks it's not an easy watch i must say. Its hard to explain just how weird this film is one example is Braydens best friend oinker who to compliment his velvet underpants and knee high socks he sports a picks nose and oinks like a pig all the time. there is a phone sex scene and its one of the most disturbing things i have ever seen in my life well really every sex scene is disturbing. To sum this film up

WHAT THE F*** !!!!!

Do i recommend this one hell yeah i do its disturbing its strange its annoying it needs to be experienced and above all its GREASY.

the-greasy-strangler.jpg
Old 17th October 2016, 06:18 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post

Try Deadly Sweet. It is an earlier work...and is a pop art, sort of giallo and highly recommended. It is nothing like his later stuff.
Old 17th October 2016, 06:24 PM
Cult Master

Film No. 14

MessiahOfEvil (1).jpg

Arletty has not seen her father for many years and her only communication with him is regular letters she has received over the years. Over the past few weeks his letters are getting stranger and stranger until the suddenly stop completely. Overcome with worry for his wellbeing Arletty heads to Point Dune on the Californian Coast where her father lives. When she arrives at his apartment she finds it empty the only trace of her father is a diary in which he tells her to never come looking for him no matter what happens. Arletty heads out into the small town asking about her father but people act very weird towards her with many denying any knowledge of the man at all. On her travels she meets a homeless man who warns her of the blood moon and the dark strangers that came to the town which was never the same again from that day but as if that was not disturbing enough he tells her that her father is actually one of the dark strangers now and she should leave.

Messiah Of Evil is one hell of a creepy film the setting the atmosphere the locals the music everything just comes together and works so damn well. Its hard to put into words the feeling i got from watching sort of felt like a dream and even Arletty narrating over the film makes it even more creepy hearing her losing her mind as you are going along on the journey with her. I just have one question how the hell have i not seen this film before now.

8/10
Old 17th October 2016, 07:13 PM
Cult Master

Film No.15

download.jpg

Mr Trelkovsky cannot believe his luck when a apartment in the centre of Paris becomes available to rent even when he learns that the previous tenant attempted suicide by jumping from the window. Trelkovsky feels compelled to go and visit the woman in hospital but when she dies he feels a strange connection to her even after only one meeting. Its not long until Trelkovsky is left feeling isolated and bullied in his apartment.The landlord enforces extremely strict rules upon him about staying out too late or making any sort of noise no matter how slight. Trelkovsky starts to feel like his neighbours are trying to force him to do the same as the previous tenant and his mental state starts to deteriorate at an alarming rate constantly seeing people standing in the bathroom used by all the other tenants in the apartment for hours on end not moving a muscle just staring out the window is this really happening or is this a sign of his mental health.

I feel a strange connection to this film i remember my first apartment it was a beautiful place right in the centre of town but the building had many strange characters in it. I was living on the top floor and for the first few weeks i lived there the lady living underneath me would come to my door almost every night to complain about the noise but each time i would open the door she would say oh it was not you im sorry before i would even say anything or she would even give herself a chance to give me her own complaint. Apartments were getting broken into because the building's front door was broken for a few weeks. Being a young man out on my own for the first time i had that same feeling of isolation and paranoia. The Tenant does a great job of getting into your mind and playing on the fears that everyone has experienced or will experience at some point in their lives. At times some of the scenes are stupid with some really annoying characters especially Trelkovsky friends but there is an uneasy feeling throughout.

7/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!