The beyond. 6.4/10

House by the cemetery. 6.6/10

Iron man 3. 8.5/10

Old 23rd October 2016, 06:48 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Not sure I agree with your scoring, with The Beyond probably a 9/10, City of the Living Dead probably 8/10 and The House by the Cemetery about the same, perhaps a point lower, but still a wonderfully gruesome and atmospheric film.

I really enjoyed Iron Man 3, but don't think it is as good as, nor has the longevity of, the better films in the Gates of Hell Trilogy. As I recently bought Iron Man 2, which I thought was very weak, I'm looking forward to watching those three back-to-back and seeing if they stand up as a trilogy whether you need the other films in the Marvel Universe to supplement them and make a coherent series. Saying that, the Gates of Hell Trilogy isn't really a trilogy in the narrative sense of something like The Matrix or Godfather trilogy is, but more akin to the 'Three Colours' trilogy.
MacBlayne and keirarts like this.
Old 23rd October 2016, 07:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Not sure I agree with your scoring, with The Beyond probably a 9/10, City of the Living Dead probably 8/10 and The House by the Cemetery about the same, perhaps a point lower, but still a wonderfully gruesome and atmospheric film.

I really enjoyed Iron Man 3, but don't think it is as good as, nor has the longevity of, the better films in the Gates of Hell Trilogy. As I recently bought Iron Man 2, which I thought was very weak, I'm looking forward to watching those three back-to-back and seeing if they stand up as a trilogy whether you need the other films in the Marvel Universe to supplement them and make a coherent series. Saying that, the Gates of Hell Trilogy isn't really a trilogy in the narrative sense of something like The Matrix or Godfather trilogy is, but more akin to the 'Three Colours' trilogy.
It could be watching them back to back.they are all a bit samey and they really aren't that well acted of directed but that's not the reason I watch his films. Next time I watch them they will properly rate high, happens a lot with me, a different rating for different viewings think it all depends on my mood etc
Old 23rd October 2016, 10:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Frankie Teardrop's "Drive in Massacre" review had me laughing out loud!! Literally lolling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23rd October 2016, 10:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Thor 2 the dark world. 7.5/10

Deadly eyes. 7.7/10

Rats night of terror. 7.4/10

Had a rethink and changed my scores for the gates of hell trilogy

City of the living dead 8/10

The beyond 9/0

House by the cemetery 9.1/10
Old 23rd October 2016, 10:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Had a rethink and changed my scores for the gates of hell trilogy

City of the living dead 8/10

The beyond 9/0

House by the cemetery 9.1/10
So basically you have succumbed to peer pressure.
Old 23rd October 2016, 10:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
So basically you have succumbed to peer pressure.
Yep and I can't justify giving them lower scores than deadly eyes and rats night of terror.
Old 24th October 2016, 05:14 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
I can't justify giving them lower scores than deadly eyes and rats night of terror.
If you liked these two more, why not give them a higher score?

Always be true to yourself and your feelings, Mr 8273. It doesn't matter what other people say or think

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 24th October 2016, 10:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post

I think Iron Man 3 is the only one of these Marvel films I like (Blade and Punisher: Warzone don't count as they were made outside of Marvel), and I put that down to Shane Black even if it is his weakest work. The script is a atypical of him, witty one-liners, some character depth and rather engaging mystery plot. The film falls apart in the last half-hour though, as it has to become another bloody superhero film with CGI fireworks everywhere.

As for how it stands against the MCU, pretty well. I think there's only Tony's panic attacks brought by the ending of Avengers. But, it is mentioned what happened so you don't need to see any other film.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 24th October 2016, 05:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Hollow (2004)

Coming some five years after Sleepy Hollow this had to be something a bit different to stand any chance of being remembered. Using the general ideas from Washington Irvine's story and bringing them kicking and screaming into the modern day works well, sort of.

The story involves a high school student (Kevin Zegers) and his discovery that he's a descendant of the legendary Ichabod Crane from Irvine's story and the newly resurrected Headless Horseman has come back from the dead once more to collect his head.

A teen high school movie was never going to grab me like Tim Burton's Gothic classic did but thanks to some likable characters - Zegers does really well in the lead role and Kaley Cuoco always seems like someone you could talk to (If anyone's interested she suits her cheerleader outfit quite nicely) meaning you have a couple of leads to root for rather than wish dead from the opening minutes. The film also benefits from a couple of veteran stars namely Stacy Keach and Judge Reinhold who both have significant screen time, especially Keach.

The Hollow is probably too much of a teen movie early doors to be viewed as any sort of classic but as it progresses and we go on a haunted hay ride things take a turn for the creepy and Halloween traditions and Irvine's story are carefully examined.

As for the headless horseman? Well he's no Ray Park and the film lacks the thunderous galloping hooves from Burton's film but it's probably as good as you could hope for. There's not much in the way of gore as the film was originally made for ABC's Family Channel (It was cut when shown) but everything has been re-inserted for this dvd including heads getting lopped off, brief nudity (with a literal idea of 'giving head') and gory remains.

The Hollow isn't an essential Halloween film by any means but enjoyable despite it's high school roots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Hollow-2004.jpg (53.2 KB, 6 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!