Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th November 2016, 07:09 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
What do you make to the sequel, Treb?
Not a patch on the original really suffers from a lack of john belushi, would say 6/10 maybe half point lower
Old 18th November 2016, 03:04 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I saw Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them at the cinema today and absolutely loved it. I am not a Harry Potter fan by any stretch of the imagination – I haven't read any of the books and have only seen Prisoner of Azkaban more than once – but thought it was brilliant. With this film taking place in the Roaring Twenties, there were a couple of references to characters and events in the Harry Potter films which I had to check out with someone afterwards, but they aren't integral to the plot for those of you who do not have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the JK Rowling books and films.

For a film which only features four or five actors which you would call household names – and only two of those (Eddie Redmayne and Colin Farrell) in main roles, with Emily Mortimer, John Voight, and a CGI/motion capture Ron Perlman in supporting roles – the acting is incredibly strong. The film is beautifully designed, with 1926 New York apparently built in Watford and really benefiting from the physicality of the sets. Similarly, the costumes are perfect for the period, the cars and every other aspect of the art and production design look great.

There are some wonderful creatures and some exciting, involving, and energetically directed action sequences which David Yates handles as well as those which are more comedic or romantic in nature. I would highly recommend it for wizards and muggles alike and would even go back for a second viewing, something which doesn't interest me very often.
Old 18th November 2016, 03:28 PM
Cult Veteran

I'm going tonight I can't wait!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th November 2016, 03:52 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Like I said, if you are a fan of the books and films, you'll probably appreciate the creatures slightly more because apparently some of them are referenced in the Harry Potter series, plus a couple of dark wizards which are featured or mentioned who could grow in prominence as the series, as expected, progresses. (Eddie Redmayne said on the radio that J. K. Rowling has already written the second book and has enough material for five. It would be a shock if the films weren't commercially and critically successful enough to mean all of them will be adapted for the big screen.)
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 18th November 2016, 04:06 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Are you seeing it in 2-D or 3-D? I saw a couple of moments where things move towards the screen, looking as if they were geared towards the stereoscopic format. However, other than that, I didn't feel that I was missing out by watching a standard 2-D screening.
Old 18th November 2016, 04:24 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Are you seeing it in 2-D or 3-D? I saw a couple of moments where things move towards the screen, looking as if they were geared towards the stereoscopic format. However, other than that, I didn't feel that I was missing out by watching a standard 2-D screening.
2D
I haven't been to see a 3D film since Alice in Wonderland, they're just not for me!
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th November 2016, 04:27 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
2D
I haven't been to see a 3D film since Alice in Wonderland, they're just not for me!
Same here, on both counts.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 18th November 2016, 05:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Arrival

interesting and thought provoking but as good as it was its one of those films for me once you have seen it once thats it.
Old 18th November 2016, 05:44 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Arrival

interesting and thought provoking but as good as it was its one of those films for me once you have seen it once thats it.
I have booked tickets to go tomorrow – I hope it is as good as I've heard.
Old 18th November 2016, 06:15 PM
Cult Master

Boys Will Be Girls (1934)

His Grace, the Duke of Bridgewater is a misogynistic, curmudgeonly, cantankerous old man with gout. He drinks with his mates, tells blue jokes, smokes very strong cigars . . . and cannot abide women. He is a man’s man, and no women are permitted on the premises . . . He will quickly tell anyone in earshot that he hates women . . . no ifs, ands or butts! He had one son who fled England and lived his life in Paris, never having any contact for the rest of his life

One day, out of the blue, the Duke gets a letter from his son's child, a young boy named Pat. He is ecstatic to discover that he has a male heir, and sends his butler, Grey, to Paris to bring his son back to the estate to get acquainted.

However, it turns out that Pat is actually Patricia, a male impersonator working on the Paris stage, and the photograph she sent the Duke was mistakenly one of her in her male guise

When Grey tells Pat that her grandfather will have nothing to do with her, she decides to masquerade as a young man so she can meet him

What follow is an amusing classic British farce of mistaken identity and doors slamming just as someone is hiding

Director Marcel Varnel later worked with George Formby and Will Hay; writer Kurt Siodmak wrote 'The Wolf Man', 'Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man', 'The Beast With Five Fingers' and 'Donovan's Brain'; the cast contains Dolly Haas ('I Confess'), Esmond Knight ('The Red Shoes', 'Peeping Tom', 'Doctor Who: The Space Pirates') and Edward Chapman (Mr. Grimsdale in the Norman Wisdom films)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!