LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th November 2016, 09:26 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Further to this, have you all seen 'The Big Short' which came out earlier this year, not quite the same thing as Wall Street or it's sequel, but about how a few bankers knew something was about to give and rather than do something about it, made a load of money off the back of it instead.
I did see it earlier this year and was astonished at how complicated everything was but also the simplicity of the basic premise of what was taking place. I imagine it's something which would mean more if you can 'speak' finance, but the idea of these speculators thinking how great is they are going to become very rich before realising the economy has to collapse in order for this to happen makes it almost tragicomic.

If you haven't seen The Big Short, I also highly recommend it, along with other Oscar-nominated films from the same time such as Spotlight, The Revenant, Brooklyn, The Martian, Room, and Bridge of Spies.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 24th November 2016, 09:29 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
If you haven't seen The Big Short, I also highly recommend it, along with other Oscar-nominated films from the same time such as Spotlight, The Revenant, Brooklyn, The Martian, Room, and Bridge of Spies.
I still haven't watched Brooklyn, for reasons that I don't know as it's even on Netflix now and since it was written but Nick Hornby who I really enjoy...
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 24th November 2016, 09:42 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I still haven't watched Brooklyn, for reasons that I don't know as it's even on Netflix now and since it was written but Nick Hornby who I really enjoy...
I saw it at the cinema and have since rented it, loving it both each time.
Old 24th November 2016, 03:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I saw it at the cinema and have since rented it, loving it both each time.
Might have to give Brooklyn a watch.
Old 24th November 2016, 03:33 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Might have to give Brooklyn a watch.
I hope you like it. I don't think Brooklyn is even a film that fits in the 'You don't have to like period dramas but…' category either – it's such a good story which is beautifully told and wonderfully acted by the entire cast, particularly Saoirse Ronan.

I recently came back from the cinema after watching Arrival for the second time and it is definitely a film which holds up to a second viewing as I definitely appreciated the depth and fairly complex concepts more this time than the first time I saw it – it's a bit like Interstellar that way – and will buy it soon after it's released on DVD.
Old 24th November 2016, 03:37 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
I recently came back from the cinema after watching Arrival for the second time and it is definitely a film which holds up to a second viewing as I definitely appreciated the depth and fairly complex concepts more this time than the first time I saw it – it's a bit like Interstellar that way – and will buy it soon after it's released on DVD.
I really enjoyed Arrival, apart from the ending - which was good but really hammered a point home that didn't need re-affirming. I don't know that it's a repeat viewing film though, I might be wrong, but I wont know until it comes out on disc.
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 24th November 2016, 03:43 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I really enjoyed Arrival, apart from the ending - which was good but really hammered a point home that didn't need re-affirming. I don't know that it's a repeat viewing film though, I might be wrong, but I wont know until it comes out on disc.
The next time I see it will be after I have read Story of Your Life, Ted Chiang's short story on which Arrival is based, so it will be interesting to see if that makes a difference to my appreciation of Denis Villeneuve's film.
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th November 2016, 04:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The God of Cookery (1996)

Stephen Chow plays an arrogant in the extreme cooking king who loses everything to an evil ambitious understudy. Now living in the alleyways he finds his only hope to regain his title of 'God of Cookery' is a street vendor with secret desires for him.

No beating about the bush, The God of Cookery is ****ing nuts. Full of laugh out loud balmy comedy and wince with your teeth clenched violence. Playing like a spoof of Hong Kong cinema but with outstanding, what can only be described as martial art cookery sequences involving flames, knives, Shaolin Monastery's, oh and some angels from cookery heaven. Stephen Chow's film, he directed as well as starred in it, is difficult to pigeon hole and sum up in a few short sentences. It's often mean spirited but also satisfying and finally rather touching and come the end you'll be grinning from ear to ear.

If that's not enough there are the subtitles which i think were translated and adapted by a chimp on acid such is their hilarity and absurdity.

Bake Off this ain't. Highly recommended.
SOLD!!

Ahem. Watched the really rather odd (or wants to be cough) The Greasy Strangler (Jim Hosking, 2016)
Whilst I am no stranger to "extreme" cinema (), this to my mind was trying too hard. Plus it is most like a Tim & Eric sketch (one of those looong ones that they do cough). Not silly enough!!

The Butcher (Kim Jin-won, 2007)
FF snuff lite. This is how I spent my birthday???? Korean mayhem, less gruelling than ISTD etc though. One really nasty eye gouge. Deflates at the end.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th November 2016, 04:23 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
SOLD!!

Ahem. Watched the really rather odd (or wants to be cough) The Greasy Strangler (Jim Hosking, 2016)
Whilst I am no stranger to "extreme" cinema (), this to my mind was trying too hard. Plus it is most like a Tim & Eric sketch (one of those looong ones that they do cough). Not silly enough!!

The Butcher (Kim Jin-won, 2007)
FF snuff lite. This is how I spent my birthday???? Korean mayhem, less gruelling than ISTD etc though. One really nasty eye gouge. Deflates at the end.
Happy belated birthday, D.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 24th November 2016, 04:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
Happy belated birthday, D.
Cheers sir!!
mr 420 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!