Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Gojirosan 8th March 2010 11:32 AM

Solomon Kane. Going to see it again on Tuesday. Loved it.

Daemonia 8th March 2010 12:12 PM

There are no cinemas near me, so getting to one is a major pain - not to mention costly. That being the situation, I rarely, if ever, go to the cinema. They really need to sort one out locally, I'd go regularly then. :)

Pete 8th March 2010 12:17 PM

Mark of the Whip - Silly, badly acted nonsense.

antmumford 8th March 2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philleh (Post 66057)
Watched The Crazies last night - excellent re-make! Really, really enjoyed it!!

Totally agree with Philleh, brilliant remake!

This weekend I watched some Ozploitation (if you can actually call them that as they were all so tame):

The Adventures of Barry McKenzie - It was funny but it got a little slow and boring mid way through. Was all a bit random but still a fun watch. Had the most accurate portrayal of England I have ever seen.

The Naked Bunyip - Started off quite funny but slowly got oh so boring. I started wondering when it was going to end only to find I was only 50 minutes into the film and it goes on for 2 hours and 20 minutes. I switched it off but doubt I missed anything interesting. Or did I?

Turkey Shoot aka Blood Camp Thatcher - This was nowhere near as rude or violent or gory as I was expecting, how this was banned is beyond me. It wasn't a bad film though, I can see why it has it's cult status although it wasn't received well in Australia itself. (mmmmm Olivia Hussey *drool*) Sorry where was I? Oh yes so overall it was good fun, I had to take it with my tongue firmly in my cheek but was definitely worth the watch.

Roadgames - Now I watched this thinking it was going to be some nasty little serious chase thriller but it turned out to be a non graphic thriller/comedy. This was a surprise but definitely a pleasant one. I really enjoyed this film. I really liked the characters and the plot, it had it's serious thriller elements but they were interlaced with some humour so an enjoyable watch indeed. The best of the 4 over the weekend.

I've yet to watch Night of Fear and loads of other Ozploitation so I'll report back when I do but let's hope the supposed "most controversial film Australia has made" doesn't disappoint :ohwell:

vincenzo 8th March 2010 12:35 PM

The Abominable Dr Phibes

The velvet voice of Vincent may not be heard until 25 mins into the film but it's still one of his finest (and funniest). Cut for a cinematic 'X' (and a ridiculous cut at that) but now 15-rated and bordering on a 12 really, the pretty bloodless and operatic elements may be too dated for some but they complement the film for me.

Awesome cast. Among the victims are Terry Thomas (whose demise somewhat parallels his equally 'bottled' finish in Vault Of Horror), Peter Gilmore, David Hutcheson (a splendidly chilling finish), Alex Scott (who 'croaks' - fnarr, fnarr), Edward Burnham, and Maurice Kaufmann (who lasts about 30 secs). John Laurie isn't 'doomed' this time (in fact his dialogue consists of 'sixpence') and Caroline Munro says even less (due to her appearing mainly on photographs and briefly as a dead body). Peter Jeffrey almost steals the film as Inspector Pike - or is it Trout? :lol:

Almost entirely replayed as Theatre Of Blood (which I still prefer, owing to the better characters of the victims) it's still great fun. The sequel Dr Phibes Rises Again was not bad but not as endearing.

Gigantor 8th March 2010 01:40 PM

The howling 3
teen wolf
vamp
mannequin
mannequin 2

DeadAlive 8th March 2010 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Connected - This remake of the Hollywood dumb action film "Cellular" is equally as dumb and totally implausible but thanks to the HK upgrades of action and crazy stunts this actually ends up being 90 or so minutes of mindless fun. Benny Chan fails to get anything close to a believable performance out of the surprisingly well tanned Louis Koo, but the action is inventive enough.:happy:

42ndStreetFreak 8th March 2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 66117)
Connected - This remake of the Hollywood dumb action film "Cellular" is equally as dumb and totally implausible but thanks to the HK upgrades of action and crazy stunts this actually ends up being 90 or so minutes of mindless fun. Benny Chan fails to get anything close to a believable performance out of the surprisingly well tanned Louis Koo, but the action is inventive enough.:happy:

Nice to see it going both ways.

Mind you HK has been 'secretly' re-doing American films for years. there was a modern day set Ti Lung gangster/crime flick a good many years ago that was a most blatant, sometimes scene for scene, rehash of "The Untouchables" as you could imagine.
Even down to the lift assassination sequence lifted moment for moment.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th March 2010 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 66087)
Turkey Shoot aka Blood Camp Thatcher - This was nowhere near as rude or violent or gory as I was expecting, how this was banned is beyond me. It wasn't a bad film though, I can see why it has it's cult status although it wasn't received well in Australia itself. (mmmmm Olivia Hussey *drool*) Sorry where was I? Oh yes so overall it was good fun, I had to take it with my tongue firmly in my cheek but was definitely worth the watch.

I'm watching this now - like what I see so far (and not just Olivia Hussey...! :eyebrows:) :biggrin:

Sam 8th March 2010 06:58 PM

Giallo - despite my reservations I actually enjoyed this. Yes, it's corny and the plot's a bit creaky but it's a good popcorn movie and there's a good old bit of gore to keep you occupied! Pedestrian by Argento's standards but still enjoyable in my opinion :nod: