Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
One great film - Empire

Two very good ones - Hope, Jedi

One decent one - Sith

Two average ones - Phantom, Clones

One major disappointment - Awakens.
I'd probably keep Empire at the top. I prefer Awakens to New Hope and Jedi. The prequel trilogy is ropey as hell and the reason old George is villified. Silly characters and such an overindulgence on cgi that you'd mistake them for pixar films. It's been said before that the best films in the franchise are the ones he's had the least hands on involvement with.
keirarts likes this.
Old 12th December 2016, 01:02 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I looked at it as more of a tribute to your 21st birthday.
Rubbish!! I wasn't even a gleam in my father's eye, while you were already 25 years into lugging coals from t' pit.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 12th December 2016, 02:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
You just gave all of the Star Wars films really high scores, like 9.5+ does that mean you think Guardians is higher than that?
yes probably 9.7/9.8.

its one of those films that always puts a smile on my face.
keirarts likes this.
Old 12th December 2016, 02:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
yes probably 9.7/9.8
I'm really surprised, it was a 3/5 for me, so ~6/10.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 12th December 2016, 02:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
dont know what it is but i just love the movie, also helps it has great soundtrack and chris pratt my favourite marvel film by a mile.
Old 12th December 2016, 02:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I won't properly judge it until i've seen it fully. But it looked like a 4,5/10 for me based on seeing it up until the prison escape.
Old 12th December 2016, 03:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched most of Orphan after reading loads of reviews claiming it was a "hidden gem" (watched The Taking & loved it, looked up other films that went under the radar, came up with Orphan). Very generic, takes an hour to get going, could not sympathise with the characters as they are far too rich, lol!

Currently watching the commentary on Theatre of Blood and having a good chuckle!
keirarts likes this.
Old 12th December 2016, 06:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

8/10

Next up a classic Christmas move.

Old 12th December 2016, 07:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 10

The Phantom Light (1935)

For some reason i've always thought a light house as a perfect setting for a horror film. Claustrophobic, tense with no where to go, they really caught my imagination after seeing the classic Doctor Who story The Horror of Fang Rock (1977), followed by the scenes of terror during John Carpenter's The Fog (1980) as well as minor classics like 1972's Tower of Evil and the 1999 slasher Lighthouse.

Unfortunately Michael Powell's The Phantom Light isn't so much a horror film as a crime thriller with spooky elements. Starring Gordon Harker as a new Lighthouse keeper at the lonely North Stack lighthouse on the Welsh Coast. Upon arrival he discovers the last keeper was murdered and the lighthouse is supposedly haunted. He isn't alone however as the lovely Binnie Hale (Legs up to her neck) wants to visit the lighthouse as she's from a psychic society.

Not surprisingly for a Powell film it's beautifully photographed and he achieves the paranoid claustrophobic atmosphere with ease but it soon comes to light the film is about wreckers rather than spooks. Still the film proves a nice blend of suspense and comedy with the delightful ms Hale ready to disrobe at the drop of a hat. I was quite surprised to see her wearing nothing but a slip then a towel amid a crew of hairy Welsh lighthouse keepers.

The final third is a tense ride as Harker and Hale have to go all out to stop a ship being dragged onto the rocks by the phantom light. There are better examples of thrillers from the time, yet all the same The Phantom Light is a worthy addition to any collection of British films.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t29778.jpg (45.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 12th December 2016, 07:39 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
The Phantom Light (1935)

For some reason i've always thought a light house as a perfect setting for a horror film. Claustrophobic, tense with no where to go, they really caught my imagination after seeing the classic Doctor Who story The Horror of Fang Rock (1977), followed by the scenes of terror during John Carpenter's The Fog (1980) as well as minor classics like 1972's Tower of Evil and the 1999 slasher Lighthouse.

Unfortunately Michael Powell's The Phantom Light isn't so much a horror film as a crime thriller with spooky elements. Starring Gordon Harker as a new Lighthouse keeper at the lonely North Stack lighthouse on the Welsh Coast. Upon arrival he discovers the last keeper was murdered and the lighthouse is supposedly haunted. He isn't alone however as the lovely Binnie Hale (Legs up to her neck) wants to visit the lighthouse as she's from a psychic society.

Not surprisingly for a Powell film it's beautifully photographed and he achieves the paranoid claustrophobic atmosphere with ease but it soon comes to light the film is about wreckers rather than spooks. Still the film proves a nice blend of suspense and comedy with the delightful ms Hale ready to disrobe at the drop of a hat. I was quite surprised to see her wearing nothing but a slip then a towel amid a crew of hairy Welsh lighthouse keepers.

The final third is a tense ride as Harker and Hale have to go all out to stop a ship being dragged onto the rocks by the phantom light. There are better examples of thrillers from the time, yet all the same The Phantom Light is a worthy addition to any collection of British films.
Sounds decent Dem. Network?

Like this? Share it using the links below!