Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th March 2010, 12:33 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

That's the one. Loosely based on the Patty Hearst case. Gregory Rozakis (who decorated Charles Bronson's apartment in Death Wish) was one of the kidnappers.

Good cast but it was all talk and little action.
Old 9th March 2010, 10:34 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Ratman

Words very nearly fail me. I am familiar with some of Guiliano Carnimeo's adorably inept Spaghetti Westerns, but not even they could prepare me the exoperoence of Ratman! A totally preposterous idea, some appalling acting, the most clumsy dubbing this side of a Bruno Mattei flick, a bored David Warbeck looking like he's carrying some "holiday pounds", and a story that jumps around in defiance of linear logic...it's bloody marvellous!
Old 9th March 2010, 11:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Just seen Horseman.

Pretty gritty movie but for some reason I didnt love it, found something missing.
Story was alright but then the whole thing with the run away pregnant gal was a bit random I thought. Kinda spolled it for me.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 9th March 2010, 11:40 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

i think the whole pregnant runaway subplot was to balance out the animal and human instincts of christian, the girl is his calming effect and is meant to be a sort of replacement daughter.
Old 9th March 2010, 11:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
i think the whole pregnant runaway subplot was to balance out the animal and human instincts of christian, the girl is his calming effect and is meant to be a sort of replacement daughter.
Yeah I did think that but IMO I think it would have been better without.
Not a bad movie at all but just kinda felt disappointed in the end.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 10th March 2010, 12:30 AM
Ex-member

Default 'What films have you seen recently?'‏

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Giallo - despite my reservations I actually enjoyed this. Yes, it's corny and the plot's a bit creaky but it's a good popcorn movie and there's a good old bit of gore to keep you occupied! Pedestrian by Argento's standards but still enjoyable in my opinion
Do you have the Polish dvd with non-removable subs?
I'm buying this dvd (I have every Argento film) when released on a sp. ed.
Old 10th March 2010, 12:56 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Il Terzio Occhio/The Third Eye

This superb psycho-thriller is what Joe D'Amato would later remake/rework as Beyond The Darkness/Buio Omega. Released in 1966, this Giallo is very much influenced by Psycho with a very young and clean-cut looking Frank (sic) Nero in the lead. I liked the performances - especially Olga Solbelli (rather literally translated as Olga Sunbeauty in the credits!) as the domineering mother - but could understand if they seemed a bit stagey or even wooden to modern audiences. It's surprisingly nasty for the time, a scene towards the end involving someone trying to answer the telephone made me cringe slightly, and there is a definitely and appropriately morbid air to the proceedings. What really stasnds out though is the photography; it is beautifully shot in gorgeous black and white in excellent locations and sets. The film looks amazing and director Mino Guerrini displays a sure hand.

An utter triumph so far as I am concerned. I don't suppose it will ever be released on DVD in the UK, but it would make for a great double disk special edition with D'Amato's Beyond The Darkness.
Old 10th March 2010, 07:14 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I watched Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland last night in 3D.
I may have a biased answer as I'm a big fan of Tim's work but I thought it was great. Wacky, over the top characters. Johnny, Anne and Helena clearly being the highlights. Loved them all equally. Beautifully dark yet colourful (if you know what I mean) scenery. It was signature Burton but with everything popping right out in front of your face so it got a 2 thumbs up from me.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 10th March 2010, 08:11 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

FROM PARIS WITH LOVE
COP OUT
THE WOLFMAN
Old 10th March 2010, 09:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
I watched Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland last night in 3D.
I may have a biased answer as I'm a big fan of Tim's work but I thought it was great. Wacky, over the top characters. Johnny, Anne and Helena clearly being the highlights. Loved them all equally. Beautifully dark yet colourful (if you know what I mean) scenery. It was signature Burton but with everything popping right out in front of your face so it got a 2 thumbs up from me.
And wasn't it great to have Christopher Lee voicing The Jabberwocky? He only speaks about a dozen words but he is unmissable.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!

Like this? Share it using the links below!