Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2016, 06:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Peter Cushing scenes for me, on the first viewing were quite jarring. On the second viewing the scenes did not look as bad. Maybe as I knew what was coming. But I do think they really did stretch it by having him on screen for so long. It becomes noticeable. The first scene where we see him reflected in the glass would have been enough and believable.
Old 20th December 2016, 07:38 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 18

Spring (2014)

Set in Italy this is a romantic drama with Lovecraftian elements. The box describes it as one of Richard Linklater's Before films as if written by Clive Barker.

It is...however it's Clive Barker circa 2016 rather than Clive Barker 1987.

It's original, decently acted and rather well made but i thought it was all a bit dull really.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1f8544adafc8a61841859917836d2ab5.jpg (12.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 20th December 2016, 07:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Spring (2014)
I rented it some time ago and remember really liking it, subsequently buying the DVD, which is (at the moment) unwatched. That is something I want to remedy at the end of this month or January because I'm going to have a Christmas film binge over the next few days.
Old 20th December 2016, 07:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I rented it some time ago and remember really liking it, subsequently buying the DVD, which is (at the moment) unwatched. That is something I want to remedy at the end of this month or January because I'm going to have a Christmas film binge over the next few days.
The central concept is okay but nothing really happens beyond the fact a boy falls in love with a girl who grows a tale and the odd tentacle.
Old 20th December 2016, 07:52 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The central concept is okay but nothing really happens beyond the fact a boy falls in love with a girl who grows a tale and the odd tentacle.
Because it is a character driven film, that's probably what I like about it, in the same way that I love Only Lovers Left Alive – a vampire film with almost no vampirism.
Frankie Teardrop and Deadite like this.
Old 20th December 2016, 08:55 PM
Cult Veteran

Just saw Rogue One, I enjoyed it a lot and I agree with everyone else's views to a tee. However I think I enjoyed The Force Awakens a little bit more, maybe a second viewing is in order and I'll go again in my week off after Christmas.

Over all though, very good, and yes Tarkin is on screen far too much, it looked so much like Cushing when it was in profile or just a part of his face but as soon as it was straight into the camera it looked synthetic and everything else about the film just looked so real.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st December 2016, 09:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I watched this interesting documentary on the early Norwegian Black Metal scene last night, focussing mainly on Fenriz from Darkthrone and the notorious Varg Vikernes from Burzum/Church burning fame.
I've never been much of a fan of this type of music, but have always been interested in the events of the early 90's in Norway, so while browsing You Tube last night, I stumbled on this and decided to give it a watch.
Definitely worth a watch for anyone interested in the more Extreme genres of metal music

IMG_4025.JPG
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 21st December 2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 21st December 2016, 10:09 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I watched this interesting documentary on the early Norwegian Black Metal scene last night, focussing mainly on Fenriz from Darkthrone and the notorious Varg Vikernes from Burzum/Church burning fame.
I've never been much of a fan of this type of music, but have always been interested in the events of the early 90's in Norway, so while browsing You Tube last night, I stumbled on this and decided to give it a watch.
Definitely worth a watch for anyone interested in the more Extreme genres of metal music

http://youtu.be/hFfB3QXVHRE

Attachment 185027
This is a good film, I actually bought the DVD direct from the film-makers back when it came out, kind of like a proto-crowd-funding kind of thing. The 2nd DVD comes with extended interviews with the participants. One minor downside about it is that it's a bit one-sided with a bias towards Varg.

This is the Cover of the limited DVD I have

Rik and keirarts like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st December 2016, 10:41 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
One minor downside about it is that it's a bit one-sided with a bias towards Varg.

Yeah, I thought that too when watching. Speaking of Varg, I've just watched his latest rant about the film adaptation of the Lords of Chaos book

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 21st December 2016 at 01:20 PM. Reason: I hope you don't mind, but I changed the link to make the video available
Old 21st December 2016, 11:40 AM
Cult Addict

The Witch (VVitch?)
the witch.jpg

Thought this was really good, one of the best new films i've seen recently.
A slow burner that is subtle and builds tension rather than relying on jump scares and gore, well written and acted and creepy.
Although due to the accents i must admit i ended up turning on the subtitles so as not to miss any dialogue.
The young girl of the family who ends up being accused of witchcraft was really a good little actress i thought and also the dad stood out.
The reveal scene was creepily effective and low key and was definitely a highlight.
Definitely worth watching, apparently this was the directors first feature which makes it even more impressive.
Will get many more watches from me.
Recommended 9/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!