Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 22nd August 2012 09:50 AM

Cat-women Of The Moon & Devil Girl From Mars. Double bill, as mate had seen neither. An enjoyable 2 hours (ish), Sonny Tufts excelling in his impression of a animated plank in CWOTM, and the incredible "britishness" of the cast in DGFM. Science be damned, I'm off to watch Invasion, if I can find it in me tape mountain.;)

mercury 22nd August 2012 12:24 PM

The Last Possession:pop2:

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd August 2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 267675)
Cat-women Of The Moon & Devil Girl From Mars. Double bill, as mate had seen neither. An enjoyable 2 hours (ish), Sonny Tufts excelling in his impression of a animated plank in CWOTM, and the incredible "britishness" of the cast in DGFM. Science be damned, I'm off to watch Invasion, if I can find it in me tape mountain.;)

Devil Girl From Mars is great fun. :pop2:

I have the Image R1 disc. Chani the robot is something else. A fine cast to boot - Patricia Laffan, Hazel Court and Adrienne Corri.

James Morton 22nd August 2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Blade (Post 267661)
Watched the AWE DVD of Keoma earlier. A great little spaghetti western starring Franco Nero as an indian half-breed.

One thing that does let the film down though is the rather annoying soundtrack. The female vocalist is just shocking.
Almost as bad as Stefania Stella in Al Festa's hilarious Fatal Frames. :D

i enjoyed FATAL FRAMES as a fun giallo
but that so called actress and singer - wife of the director, despite her big tits, her face makes her look like a transexual

Slippery Jack 22nd August 2012 04:38 PM

To Kill A Stranger

While I wait for Alucadra and Mansions of Madness to turn up, thought I'd check out the only other Moctezuma film available on lovefilm. I really enjoyed it! Kind of like a parallel universe version of Psycho, if Marion had killed Norman in self defence and hidden the body :lol:

In the first half Donald Pleasence is on top creepy form, and in the second Aldo Ray is endearing as the nosy cop trying to crack the case. Only problem is the horrible murky transfer on the dvd - couldn't make out what was going on in some scenes! Hope there's a better option out there, I'd definitely buy it . . .

keirarts 22nd August 2012 05:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 77136

This turned up today so I watched the first film.

Comes in a nifty little slimline amray with slipcase, the films are over 2 blu-rays and theres not a whole lot in the way of extras save a documentary.

The transfer on the first film looks fantastic, very natural with great colours. The film of course is legendary and still holds up today. Its certainly better than the remake with the rock. Not seen 2 or 3 so I don't know how Bo Svenson will compare to the excellent Joe don baker but i'm looking forward to them!

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd August 2012 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Pool (2000)

Upon graduation a group of students continue their celebrations at an all night party at the local pool. Unbeknown to them a masked killer is out for blood.

A third viewing for this modern slasher. The Pool is a German production with an international cast including James McAvoy and Isla Fisher and filmed in Prague.

Whilst never up there with the best it is a fun watch. There are plenty of on screen kills but they aren't that gorey. Admittedly some of them work well this way. The director seems heavily influenced by the original Scream movies and tries to play his film on that line.

The pool itself is a magnificent indoor affair which is actually open to the public and is not just your typical public swimming baths, as a setting its certainly a high point in the movie.

Despite it being a teen movie none of the characters are particularly stupid and performances are generally good.

All in all a decent watch for slasher fans.

bdc 22nd August 2012 07:36 PM

Pituitary Hunter aka Brain Theft (1982/1990?)

Closest thing to a HK giallo I've come across since Corpse Mania.
I wouldn't really compare them though since PH obviously had a much smaller budget and definitely eyes more trashy (but fun). ;)

Someone's stealing the brains from the corpses in the hospital morgue and soon after even the brains of the living are being hunted...

Sleaze,weirdness and some solid stalk sequences make this one oddly compelling but be warned that the ending is a real (intentional) tearjerker. :)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/atta...nter19821b.jpg

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd August 2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 267830)
Pituitary Hunter aka Brain Theft (1982/1990?)

Closest thing to a HK giallo I've come across since Corpse Mania.
I wouldn't really compare them though since PH obviously had a much smaller budget and definitely eyes more trashy (but fun). ;)

Someone's stealing the brains from the corpses in the hospital morgue and soon after even the brains of the living are being hunted...

Sleaze,weirdness and some solid stalk sequences make this one oddly compelling but be warned that the ending is a real (intentional) tearjerker. :)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/atta...nter19821b.jpg

Sounds just like my 'cup of tea'.

keirarts 23rd August 2012 12:01 AM

Expendables 2.

The cinematic equivelant of Lenny from of mice and men, big and dumb but very likeable. By the end the cheese is running down the screen like some explosion in an edam factory but I could care less. The film runs a little over 2hrs, felt like it was 30 minutes and I left with a big grin on my face.

Also had the cinema to myself, so got to slouch about and laugh without worrying about irritating anyone else.

Rik 23rd August 2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 267894)

Also had the cinema to myself, so got to slouch about and laugh without worrying about irritating anyone else.

I'm taking my oldest son to see The Dark Knight Rises this afternoon and seeing as I'm full of cold, coughing & sneezing all the time, I hope it's not too busy so I don't have people moaning about me spoiling the film for them

Rik 23rd August 2012 09:14 AM

Watched the "It runs in the family" doc from the R1 DVD of TCM2 last night. Very informative doc, my only complaint was the lack of cigar smoking Tobe Hooper giving his memories of the production. Having said that, Bill Moseley was excellent, "Chop Top" has always been my second favourite family member after Leatherface.
Only one thing left to say and that is...
"Lick my plate, you dog dick!"

Hawkmonger 23rd August 2012 09:20 AM

The Expendables 2- God help the man who does a kill count of this! Lasted for 1 Hour 45 Mins but felt like a 20 Mins. None stop action with some great laugh out loud moments of sheer awsome (Chuck Norris entrance, "REST IN PIECES!!!!"), Great fun, highly recomended.

Rik 23rd August 2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 267939)
The Expendables 2- God help the man who does a kill count of this! Lasted for 1 Hour 45 Mins but felt like a 20 Mins. None stop action with some great laugh out loud moments of sheer awsome (Chuck Norris entrance, "REST IN PIECES!!!!"), Great fun, highly recomended.

Which cinema did you watch it at? Back in 1998 I worked as an electrician on the Virgin Cinema on the retail park in Bolton, I'm not sure what it's called now but there was a Frankie & Benny's restaurant and a nightclub on the same park near the Warburtons factory

Hawkmonger 23rd August 2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 267955)
Which cinema did you watch it at? Back in 1998 I worked as an electrician on the Virgin Cinema on the retail park in Bolton, I'm not sure what it's called now but there was a Frankie & Benny's restaurant and a nightclub on the same park near the Warburtons factory

Cineworld (which used to be Virgin cinema's I believe) Bolton in The Valley, so yeah, same place. Some time's i can smell the factory when i come out of the cinema. Put's me in the mood for Bacon barm's! :p
Been there?

Justin101 23rd August 2012 11:08 AM

With all this talk of Calum's slasher doc I went to CEX and got a £2.00 copy of 'Going To Pieces - The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Movie' which was really interesting even if it did have a bit of a bias towards Jason!

Rik 23rd August 2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 267963)
Cineworld (which used to be Virgin cinema's I believe) Bolton in The Valley, so yeah, same place. Some time's i can smell the factory when i come out of the cinema. Put's me in the mood for Bacon barm's! :p
Been there?

I was on standby when that place opened so I got to see loads of films for free including Saving Private Ryan, The Exorcist and Enemy of the State, it was officially opened by Babe the pig who arrived in a limo and came out onto a straw carpet!

Hawkmonger 23rd August 2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 267980)
I was on standby when that place opened so I got to see loads of films for free including Saving Private Ryan, The Exorcist and Enemy of the State, it was officially opened by Babe the pig who arrived in a limo and came out onto a straw carpet!

Jesus! And all for a slice a Beacon!:laugh:

Rik 23rd August 2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 268013)
Jesus! And all for a slice a Beacon!:laugh:

Especially seeing as the guys who were on standby at the Sheffield one we did got to mingle with Sir Richard Branson and Jo Guest!

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 23rd August 2012 04:46 PM

Watched Spongebob Squarepants: The Movie again last night. I think I like that film a little too much.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd August 2012 05:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Cheerleader Massacre (2003)

Directed by Jim Wynorski. If those four words don't fill you with fear and make you turn off your dvd player then you might just enjoy Cheerleader Massacre.

A self financed effort, it has its problems mainly due to lack of budget, especially in the effect department. However Wynorski, the director of Chopping Mall, Deathstalker 2 and Tracy Lords vehicle Not of this Earth gives the film a little tension to make up for the lack of decent effects. So if Wynorski the horror director begins to feel the pinch then step forward Wynorski the titillator. As director of The Bare Wench Project, The House on Hooter Hill and The Witches of Breastwick, he knows if the action begins to flag than what better to perk up a movie than breasts and lots of them. All the actresses manage to get naked at some point, be it in a shower scene of which there are two, or a completely gratuitous bath scene in which three girls lick chocolate sauce of one another.

Scream queen Brinke Stevens has a small role as Linda. A character originally from The Slumber Party Massacre, a scene from it is inserted into this movie as a flashback for her character.

The film has some nice location photography in Anchorage, the Colorado mountains and Lone Pine in California.

Its a difficult movie to recommend, but fans of Wynorski's work will probably like it.

Midnight Movie (2008)

A very good modern slasher film. At a midnight showing of an infamous horror film once considered lost the killer from the film comes out of the movie to slaughter those in the theatre.

Although the premise sounds daft, its worked out quite well, when the film reel's cigarette burn appears the killer appears out of the movie, the kills then play out on screen like original footage. Its quite amusing as people notice victims look quite simillar to their friend who just nipped out for some popcorn.

Its quite refreshing to see a slasher film that doesn't try to add comedy and plays out like an early eighties film and captures the feel of that time pretty effortlessly. In fact the film playing in the theatre, "The Dark Beneath" looks very simillar to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which only adds to the old skool effect.

The killer comes across as a mish mash of Leatherface and Jason, wearing a skeletal mask and the overall effect is quite impressive. Added to some inventive kills and a surprisingly accomplished unknown cast, Midnight Movie is one of the best slashers from recent times.

Rik 23rd August 2012 06:32 PM

Finally got to see The Dark Knight Rises this afternoon with my son. We both really enjoyed it and both predicted certain parts of it. A couple of people on here mentioned a minor thing towards the end which annoyed them but I can't think what it is, I thought it was a good end to the trilogy, even though I originally thought Bane was a poor choice of villain considering the amount of better ones in the DC Universe. My only complaint is that Anne Hathaway's fine arse didn't get near enough screen time than it rightly deserved ;)

re.form 23rd August 2012 07:07 PM

From the tellybox:

Death Wish 2
F

and on DVD

Steel Dawn. (nothing screams 'apocalypse' like a windswept mullet)

VicDakin 23rd August 2012 07:15 PM

I got wood

1 Attachment(s)
Had an urge to watch Ed wood,so here I am in my angora sweater and heels,and now slipping it in (the dvd that is).

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/atta...1&d=1345749275

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd August 2012 07:22 PM

Funnily enough, I had the urge to watch Ed Wood not too long ago.

My angora sweater was at the dry-cleaners, though :(

VicDakin 23rd August 2012 07:24 PM

angora

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 268137)
Funnily enough, I had the urge to watch Ed Wood not too long ago.

My angora sweater was at the dry-cleaners, though :(

ill post you mine, I got a spare :lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd August 2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 268138)
ill post you mine, I got a spare :lol:

Cheers! :thumb: :D

Handyman Joe 23rd August 2012 08:31 PM

Watched what appears to be the last Flipside (boo!) today, ie Nightbirds - my first Andy Milligan movie. Not bad! Bit of a grim and downbeat boy meets girl story, the guy reminded me of John Moulder-Brown in Deep End, the girl is memorably nuts. Tried the commentary - duff I'm afraid, like an amnesiac patient with his can't be arsed male nurse - disappointing from Stephen Thrower, but his booklet stuff is excellent.

Yesterday I checked the picture quality on my Criterion Seven Samurai blu ray which has been marinading on my shelf this past year - ended up watching the whole damn thing. What a movie it is, but I guess everyone's well aware of that...

Hawkmonger 23rd August 2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 268162)
Watched what appears to be the last Flipside (boo!) today,

Nah, there's more on the way next year. ;)
Got this this morning.

BFI London Film Festival wrote: "Hi Zach, thanks for your kind words about Flipside. Our next releases are not for some time, but rest assured that we are working on some extraordinary and surprising titles for 2013."

Pete 23rd August 2012 10:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
THE FINAL EXECUTIONER (1984)

Attachment 77401

One of the weaker Italian post apocalypse movies (co-produced by Cannon Films!) which is so low budget it makes RATS look like a Hollywood blockbluster. I watched it via the 23rd Century DVD which, predictably enough, is taken from an old VHS but is more than watchable. I assume the old UK tape was the source as it's missing the rape scene.

Make Them Die Slowly 24th August 2012 02:35 AM

SEED. Very enjoyable shocker from Uwe Boll. The story and the film's attempt at being a political statement are bollocks but as a self contained unit, the film works very well from it's opening scenes of real animal slaughter setting the tone to it's uber bleak ending. There are a few stand out moments that I really enjoyed: the dream scene on the bus and the extended torture, murder and mutilation of a middle aged women. Having heard so many bad things regarding Boll, I was pleasantly surprised at just how good this was and how much I enjoyed it. Pulp doom at it's finest.

Crimson Blade 24th August 2012 06:02 AM

Watched the classic French film La Cérémonie yesterday. A film which i recently upgraded to Blu-ray.

Sandrine Bonnaire plays the part of an illiterate housemaid who starts work for a middle class family which results in a shocking climax.

Excellent film, which also co-stars Isabelle Huppert.

Demoncrat 24th August 2012 10:04 AM

The Alphabet Killer. Eliza Dushku looks fetching in a series of outfits. Some nutter is after kids. the entire film was reminiscent of the opening chapters of a graphic novel...."she was a detective on the edge, and she can see ghosts!!" etc. Plot holes abound in this drearily silly tale, but let's face it I even watched The New Guy (twice!!) because she was in it, so that tells you something:lol:
Tonight I will be hopefully watching my Touch Of Death after all these years!!

clare 24th August 2012 10:26 AM

Inferno, and Black Christmas (1974).

Baseball Fury 24th August 2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 268122)
I thought it was a good end to the trilogy, even though I originally thought Bane was a poor choice of villain considering the amount of better ones in the DC Universe.

I think as Bane is the only villain that has ever truly beaten Batman, he was the perfect choice for Nolan and Bale's swansong.

I'm looking forward to the re-camped reboot :rolleyes:

James Morton 24th August 2012 12:07 PM

saw the brilliant SWITCHBLADE ROMANCE on the horror channel last night

Rik 24th August 2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 268271)
I think as Bane is the only villain that has ever truly beaten Batman, he was the perfect choice for Nolan and Bale's swansong.

I'm looking forward to the re-camped reboot :rolleyes:

Yeah that's what I meant, I wasn't keen on the idea at first but when I saw it, I understood the reasoning behind the choice. Give it 2 years and we'll be seeing a new reboot!

Justin101 24th August 2012 12:14 PM

I watched half of Puppet Master last night, just wasn't feeling it at all, maybe I was in the wrong mood for cheesy 80's acting, saying that I'm going to give it another go since I get an extra day off this weekend :D

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th August 2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 268274)
Yeah that's what I meant, I wasn't keen on the idea at first but when I saw it, I understood the reasoning behind the choice. Give it 2 years and we'll be seeing a new reboot!

I don't know about a reboot, but I'd like to see a really good director follow The Dark Knight Rises with a Nightwing film. It's a logical step, the origin story has already been told and the part is cast!

Rik 24th August 2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 268277)
I don't know about a reboot, but I'd like to see a really good director follow The Dark Knight Rises with a Nightwing film. It's a logical step, the origin story has already been told and the part is cast!

Apart from the director part, that is exactly what my son said after the film yesterday, in fact he said early on in the film "I bet he replaces Batman", he's only 8!