Old 14th January 2017, 05:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Friday the 13th (1980)

*** out of *****

Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

***1/2 out of *****

Friday the 13th Part III (1982)

*** out of *****

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 14th January 2017, 06:43 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

ELTOPO-260x350.jpg

El Topo starts with a mysterious gunslinger and his son discovering a massacre at a small village after which he seeks revenge what all the horror he has seen. Once his mission of revenge is complete he sets out of a new quest to kill four masters spread throughout the desert each more bizarre than the last but once his mission is complete he feels conflicted and he sets out and a new path of personal redemption and a life of peace but in this bizarre place death stalks everyone.

So hard to review this one its a film you cant explain you just need to experience it because it's not just a film its a journey of the mind. There is so much imagery and symbolism in every single frame of this film maybe my brain is not educated enough to make sense of it all in one viewing but all day the film has stuck in my head and i think it may be the case for sometime to come maybe its confusion or maybe its how powerful some of the imagery was

Its hard to recommend El Topo i have said this about films in the past but this is genuinely not for everyone should everyone experience it ? Thats an easy YES. Will everyone enjoy it ? Again an easy answer NO. I would encourage everyone to seek it out and experience it at least once and yes there is that word experience again but like i said its exactly that and one well worth having.

8/10 for sheer impact on a simple mind that does not understand art or the avant garde as i have seen this film described as but if i can get something powerful out of it maybe you will too. I will revisit this one soon because i'm sure i have missed so much.

Just know that El Topo is nowhere near as confusing as this review
Old 14th January 2017, 06:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post

El Topo starts with a mysterious gunslinger and his son discovering a massacre at a small village after which he seeks revenge what all the horror he has seen. Once his mission of revenge is complete he sets out of a new quest to kill four masters spread throughout the desert each more bizarre than the last but once his mission is complete he feels conflicted and he sets out and a new path of personal redemption and a life of peace but in this bizarre place death stalks everyone.

So hard to review this one its a film you cant explain you just need to experience it because it's not just a film its a journey of the mind. There is so much imagery and symbolism in every single frame of this film maybe my brain is not educated enough to make sense of it all in one viewing but all day the film has stuck in my head and i think it may be the case for sometime to come maybe its confusion or maybe its how powerful some of the imagery was

Its hard to recommend El Topo i have said this about films in the past but this is genuinely not for everyone should everyone experience it ? Thats an easy YES. Will everyone enjoy it ? Again an easy answer NO. I would encourage everyone to seek it out and experience it at least once and yes there is that word experience again but like i said its exactly that and one well worth having.

8/10 for sheer impact on a simple mind that does not understand art or the avant garde as i have seen this film described as but if i can get something powerful out of it maybe you will too. I will revisit this one soon because i'm sure i have missed so much.

Just know that El Topo is nowhere near as confusing as this review
Thanks for the review, Nordy.

It doesn't sound like it's up my street. You don't sound like you 'got it' and i doubt i will either.
keirarts likes this.
Old 14th January 2017, 07:10 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Thanks for the review, Nordy.

It doesn't sound like it's up my street. You don't sound like you 'got it' and i doubt i will either.
I didnt fully understand it or maybe i did im not sure
Old 14th January 2017, 07:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I didnt fully understand it or maybe i did im not sure
But there is tits,(not to be shallow or anything,its a plus point).

large_el_topo_blu-ray_2.jpg

Old 14th January 2017, 07:39 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
But there is tits,(not to be shallow or anything,its a plus point).

Attachment 185767

The prickly pear scene was very pleasing on the eye.
Old 14th January 2017, 07:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Rabid. Revolutionary skin grafts used on a motorcycle accident victim take on a life of their own and become blood-hungry little suckers, resulting in a wave of rabies-like vampirism storming through Montreal in this late 70s Canadian horror flick. Some effective and scary scenes from director David Cronenberg, but I didn't think it gelled together as well as Shivers (let alone his masterpiece, The Brood).
Old 14th January 2017, 09:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sebastian (Ryan Gosling) a jazz musician and Mia (Emma Stone) an aspiring actress fall in love while seeking to fulfill there dreams. A love letter to the musical of the 40s and 50s, but don't expect a typical happy Hollywood ending, you will still feel uplifted and have a song in your heart, but it will also bring a tear to your eye. Some great set pieces and musical numbers that remind you of those great musical's. 9.2/10

Next up dead Mary.

Last edited by trebor8273; 14th January 2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 14th January 2017, 09:40 PM
Cult Addict

IT FOLLOWS

Not dissimilar to the fallout from mine and Nordy's one and only sexual encounter but with younger and better looking people. Recommended
Old 14th January 2017, 09:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
IT FOLLOWS

better looking people. Recommended
surely not,Is that possible??

Like this? Share it using the links below!