Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Baseball Fury 25th August 2012 05:25 PM

I watched Monster House (the animated film) earlier and it was pretty good!

antmumford 25th August 2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 268539)
I watched Monster House (the animated film) earlier and it was pretty good!

Ah Monster House is brilliant, one of my all time favourite animations.

Watched The Rocker last night and I don't know if its just cos I'm a drummer so could relate but I thought it was really funny. Had some great one liners that had me in stitches at times, the glass of wine may have helped though

Nordicdusk 25th August 2012 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 77649

I went into this knowing nothing only what it said on the back of the box. I really enjoyed this in fact its a great film. Im gonna have to watch it again because im sure i missed something along the way. Anyone who seen this will know what in mean. My mind is racing a bit right now trying to work out a few things but thats what films are about making you think. Well good ones anyway:lol:

DryJack 25th August 2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 268605)
Attachment 77649

I went into this knowing nothing only what it said on the back of the box. I really enjoyed this in fact its a great film. Im gonna have to watch it again because im sure i missed something along the way. Anyone who seen this will know what in mean. My mind is racing a bit right now trying to work out a few things but thats what films are about making you think. Well good ones anyway:lol:

A mate just lent me this and I'm about to watch it.:)

Nordicdusk 25th August 2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryJack (Post 268606)
A mate just lent me this and I'm about to watch it.:)

Let us know what you think really wanna know what other people here think of it.:)

Crimson Blade 26th August 2012 05:24 AM

Had a bit of a movie marathon over the last couple of days and watched the following..

2019 - After The Fall of New York.
Blastfighter.
Psycho (the original and best).
Julia's Eyes.
The Living Dead Girl.
Cannibal Ferox still one of the most entertaining cannibal films despite the unnecessary animal cruelty.

SharonLynette 26th August 2012 11:35 AM

Considering the amount of DVDs I buy I haven't actually watched a film this week that I haven't seen before.

The Aviator's Wife (1981)
Jail Bait (1954)
Still of the Night (1982)
The Haunted Palace (1963)
The Bed Sitting Room (1969)
Sorry, Wrong Number (1948)

There are still 12 hours to fit something new in.

James Morton 26th August 2012 12:47 PM

JENNIFER'S BODY - not bad horror but a film i wouldn't buy
the writer of this made the crap JUNO

dis 26th August 2012 12:47 PM

re watched "the warriors",again,still love it!

Justin101 26th August 2012 05:28 PM

So far this weekend I have seen...
http://memento.cf1.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpghttp://psycho.cf1.letterboxd.com/ass...0-222-crop.jpghttp://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpghttp://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg

As you can see it's been pretty entertaining :D

Edgeworth 26th August 2012 05:34 PM

Watched "Cello", usually pick up the Tartan Asia Extreme releases when I see them cheap in used DVD shops. I'm sure most of them wont get reprinted again. Gotta say the best part of it is the box, movie wasn't great.

Fist Of Fury also, classic. £3 for twinpack with New Fist of Fury from Sainsburys sale.

Expendables 2 tonight, super excited!

keirarts 26th August 2012 06:46 PM

Elevator [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: John Getz, Shirley Knight, Anita Briem, Devin Ratray, Joey Slotnick, Stig Svendsen: Film & TV

Watched ELEVATOR from work. It's pretty darned good and I certainly preferred it to devil. A bunch of people are trapped in an elevator and discover one of the passengers is carrying a bomb that could go off any minuet.

demonknight 26th August 2012 06:58 PM

Watched In the mouth of madness and Scarecrows last night. 'madness was great but scarecrows was a dead loss. Definitely not as good as I remembered. Poor pic quality on the dvd didn't help either.

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th August 2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 268753)
Watched In the mouth of madness and Scarecrows last night. 'madness was great but scarecrows was a dead loss. Definitely not as good as I remembered. Poor pic quality on the dvd didn't help either.

I thought Scarecrows was great.

I have the MGM region 1 disc and the quality is fine.

DryJack 26th August 2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 268607)
Let us know what you think really wanna know what other people here think of it.:)

Watched Kill List. I had no idea what to expect and was quite surprised at the direction the film took. I usually hate films I don't fully understand (Donnie Darko!!) but I really enjoyed this. Great feeling of dread all the way through and that hammer scene was brutal. I looked up the explanation on google and there are tons of different ideas. The most satisfying one I found was from CinemaDan on youtube, although much is still unexplained, I like his take on things.

Nordicdusk 26th August 2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryJack (Post 268760)
Watched Kill List. I had no idea what to expect and was quite surprised at the direction the film took. I usually hate films I don't fully understand (Donnie Darko!!) but I really enjoyed this. Great feeling of dread all the way through and that hammer scene was brutal. I looked up the explanation on google and there are tons of different ideas. The most satisfying one I found was from CinemaDan on youtube, although much is still unexplained, I like his take on things.

Its my best blind buy in a long time. I have spent most of today think about the meanings in the film i just cant get it out of my head.:lol:

bdc 26th August 2012 09:30 PM

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2...devil20eye.jpg

Devil Eye (2002)

The worst I've seen from Cash Chin Man-Kei...
No-budget shot on DV quickie made in Thailand.
There's definitely a "post-Ring" influence but it looks like the story was made up as they went along...best to avoid imho.
I would love to know the story behind the making of this one though. ;)

bdc 26th August 2012 09:43 PM

Vampire Controller (2001)

Charming but don't expect too much horror... ;)
One of the last "traditional" Chinese horror films ever made (and one of the few to concern a corpse drive!).

There's some early cgi (3 instances I think) but it's only used for some small effects and it's not really annoying,the rest of the film is totally old school.

Would fit nicely next to Ghost Legend or Spiritual Trinity even if they are better films with more horror elements.
They all have a similar feel to them.

Thai trailer
Vampire Controller - Thai trailer - YouTube

fuzzymctiger 26th August 2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dis (Post 268657)
re watched "the warriors",again,still love it!

Currently plugging away at this is bits on my iPad, about an hour in.
A bit slow at time,s but fantastic

fuzzymctiger 26th August 2012 10:26 PM

Also watching F13 3D. Great slasher. About on par, if not better than the 2nd, and definantly better than the garbage first. Great kill, and he gets the mask and machete. Also quite liked when one of the main characters goes and picks up a Fangoria and opens to a Tom Savini page.

All the thing wobbling right in front of the camera were a bit annoying though.

James Morton 27th August 2012 12:12 PM

saw most of THE LOST based on Jack Ketchum's book
and it was boring, turned over after after about an hour
and it was produced by Lucky Mckee, enough said

g053584398 27th August 2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 268810)
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2...devil20eye.jpg

Devil Eye (2002)

The worst I've seen from Cash Chin Man-Kei...
No-budget shot on DV quickie made in Thailand.
There's definitely a "post-Ring" influence but it looks like the story was made up as they went along...best to avoid imho.
I would love to know the story behind the making of this one though. ;)

The artwork is pretty cool though!

Justin101 27th August 2012 03:00 PM

Just watched Jason Lives, probably my favourite episode so far! Looking forward to part VII now, think I'll watch that this evening. I love bank holiday weekends.

Rik 27th August 2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 268925)
Just watched Jason Lives, probably my favourite episode so far!

I love the way Jason is resurrected in this one, I think this was the first Friday the 13th film I ever saw, when it was on TV years ago

Justin101 27th August 2012 03:29 PM

It's weird but up until 2 days ago I had only seen part 1 and 2, now I'm hooked! Not sure if I should watch IX and X they aren't even included in the box set and people get pretty pissed off about them lol...

Rik 27th August 2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 268934)
It's weird but up until 2 days ago I had only seen part 1 and 2, now I'm hooked! Not sure if I should watch IX and X they aren't even included in the box set and people get pretty pissed off about them lol...

They're worth watching for completions sake, I can't remember much about Jason Goes To Hell(I haven't seen it since it first came out on VHS), as for Jason X, it's certainly different :lol:
The remake isn't too bad either, more like another entry in the series rather than a remake

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th August 2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 268934)

Jason Goes to Hell, as you can guess from the title, certainly ends the franchise. I tend to treat Jason X as a spin-off from the series and something of a guilty pleasure – they're both worth picking up cheaply and watching with low expectations so you won't be disappointed!

Baseball Fury 27th August 2012 04:10 PM

They're not in the set as they were different studios that made them. Also, to be honest, they both kind of suck. IX (JGTH) tries it's hand at post-modernism and kind of falls flat, Jason X is just really, really poor, although the VR bit with the sleeping bags made me piss myself the first time I saw it.

Worth watching if you can pick them up for a couple of quid each, but at one point JGTH was going for £20+ plus and it definitely ain't worth that!

Justin101 27th August 2012 05:02 PM

Might be worth checking in CEX every now and then, thanks everyone :)

keirarts 27th August 2012 06:05 PM

Just watched TED.

Absolutely hilarious, plus it has extended references to mike hodges FLASH GORDON, and FLASH himself SAM JONES! (possibly not as exciting a prospect to some but I was in geek heaven) Very foul mothed and certainly in no way suitable for kids its a great slice of comedy and worth checking out.

***also jason goes to hell and jason x are new line movies, the franchise really took a hit when it went to them. Weird really considering how poorly paramount treated its cash-cow franchise.

VicDakin 27th August 2012 07:17 PM

Arachnophobia

Arachnophobia
Fancied watching this not sure why,still good fun

http://www.joblo.com/posters/images/...ia-poster1.jpg

antmumford 27th August 2012 07:31 PM

Just watched The Commitments for the first time. Didn't have a clue what it was about but my sister said it was great so I borrowed it. Wow, she weren't wrong, I absolutely adored every damn minute of it. So funny and it had amazingly brilliant music too, just ordered the special edition DVD and soundtrack cos I'm definitely gonna watch it again soon and can't wait to put the music on my phone. Why no Blu release though, seems a shame really, guess will have to wait a little longer for an upgrade

Make Them Die Slowly 27th August 2012 07:47 PM

ID. Matthew from "Home To Roost" and Billy Mitchell from "Eastenders" play undercover cops investigating football hooligans. It's a lot of fun in a beery, sweary, smacking shit out of people way.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th August 2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 268996)
ID. Matthew from "Home To Roost" and Billy Mitchell from "Eastenders" play undercover cops investigating football hooligans. It's a lot of fun in a beery, sweary, smacking shit out of people way.

Have you seen Green Street yet MTDS.?

Thats football hooliganism for Hobbits.

Make Them Die Slowly 27th August 2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 269026)
Have you seen Green Street yet MTDS.?

Thats football hooliganism for Hobbits.

Yeah, I didn't like it to be honest. "The Football Factory" is still my favourite hoolie film and my favourite film so far this year.

fuzzymctiger 27th August 2012 11:09 PM

Friday The 13th Part 3 - Best yet. Great kills, would really like to watch this in 3D. Really liked the Fangoria placement and the Shining homage with the axe through the door and the hand stabbing. Here's hoping we see the cut footage one day.

The Warriors - Bit slow at points, but over all a great movie. A lot less fights then I expected and the train death was a bit sudden. Also most of the gangs are ridiculous, except the Baseball Furies, who were awesome. Quite tame today, have no idea how it still warrants an R in Australia.

Rik 27th August 2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 269097)
Friday The 13th Part 3 - Best yet. Great kills, would really like to watch this in 3D. Really liked the Fangoria placement and the Shining homage with the axe through the door and the hand stabbing. Here's hoping we see the cut footage one day.

I'm about 1 hour and 15 minutes into this right now :)

Before this, I watched Insidious for the second time, it really is a fantastic film

James Morton 28th August 2012 08:38 AM

[QUOTE=fuzzymctiger;269097]Friday The 13th Part 3 - Best yet. Great kills, would really like to watch this in 3D. Really liked the Fangoria placement and the Shining homage with the axe through the door and the hand stabbing. Here's hoping we see the cut footage one day.

except the first F13 no way will we see all the uncut footage in the other films
Paramount et al threw cut gory stuff years ago
F13 THE NEW BLOOD is supposed to be the goriest and the MPAA hacked it to pieces more so than the victims

fuzzymctiger 28th August 2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 269146)

except the first F13 no way will we see all the uncut footage in the other films
Paramount et al threw cut gory stuff years ago
F13 THE NEW BLOOD is supposed to be the goriest and the MPAA hacked it to pieces more so than the victims

I know thats what everyone always says, but the bed implement in Part 2 does exist, on a tape, the creators just don't want to release it, saying the reaction on their faces is just horrifying.

And if I'm correct, Paramount said the same thing about My Bloody Valentine, and we all know what happened there. :rolleyes:

One can hope one day another company will get the franchise, and give them all great uncut releases.

Baseball Fury 28th August 2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 268994)
Just watched The Commitments for the first time. Didn't have a clue what it was about but my sister said it was great so I borrowed it. Wow, she weren't wrong, I absolutely adored every damn minute of it. So funny and it had amazingly brilliant music too, just ordered the special edition DVD and soundtrack cos I'm definitely gonna watch it again soon and can't wait to put the music on my phone. Why no Blu release though, seems a shame really, guess will have to wait a little longer for an upgrade

The Commitments is incredible, and if you liked the music, you should check out a band called The Frames, it's the singer from the film's band.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 269097)
The Warriors - Bit slow at points, but over all a great movie. A lot less fights then I expected and the train death was a bit sudden. Also most of the gangs are ridiculous, except the Baseball Furies, who were awesome. Quite tame today, have no idea how it still warrants an R in Australia.

The Baseball Furies are amazing, and funnily enough, my favourite!