Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd January 2017, 04:03 PM
Cult Addict

Deathcheaters

Working my way through the additional films on Man from Hong Kong so started with this. It features Brian Trenchard-smith's favourite stuntman Grant page teaming up with John Hargreaves as two Nam' vets turned stuntmen who end up working for Australia's secret service. In all honesty there's not much more to it than that and the secret agent stuff only kicks in in the third act. However its not really about the plot, its about the stunts. This is where the film succeeds and it does it very well indeed as Trenchard-smith knows how to shoot stunts (having also done plenty himself!) If the sheer balls to the wall first act doesn't grab you then giver up because its front loaded with some stunt genius that hooked me in and in fairness the middle section gets a little saggy before coming back alive for the third act. I found it highly entertaining however.

Stunt rock

More Grant page fun from Brian Trenchard-smith. Once again the plot is wafer thin, here it splits its focus on Page and his stunt work. It also has a lot of concert footage from a hair metal band called Sorcery that probably seemed like it was the s*** until spinal tap and then punk shot it out the water. Once again its tons of fun with sorcerers theatrical stage show being entertaining itself and Page and his stunts really sealing the deal.
Old 23rd January 2017, 08:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

Time After Time. HG Wells (Malcolm McDowell) has just built a time machine for real but before he can use it one of his dinner guests (David Warner), who is rather unexpectedly revealed as Jack the Ripper when the police come calling, steals it and escapes into time. Wells manages to follow him and finds that the future - in this case 1979 San Francisco - isn't exactly the utopian society he was expecting... Mary Steenburgen (who clearly has a thing for time travelers) plays the modern woman who falls for Wells as he struggles to stop the Ripper before more people die in this entertaining and fun late 70s fantasy adventure.
Old 23rd January 2017, 09:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The late Miguel Ferrer plays a cynical tabloid journalist who's latest story has him hunting the night flier a psychopathic killer who believes that he is a vampire, as he investigates he begins to believe that the killer might actually be a vampire. An interesting take on the usual vampire tale, with a strong performance from Ferrer, for a low budget film its above a lot of bigger budget King adaptations. Chilling and atmospheric. Always been a bit of a guilty pleasure this one.7.7/10
Old 23rd January 2017, 09:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I think i must be the only one on the forum who thinks The Night Flier sucked.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 23rd January 2017, 09:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I think i must be the only one on the forum who thinks The Night Flier sucked.
I have to admit I quite like it too over more acclaimed King adaptions like The Shining.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 23rd January 2017, 09:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
I have to admit I quite like it too over more acclaimed King adaptions like The Shining.
That sucks even more than The Night Flier.
nosferatu42 and Deadite like this.
Old 23rd January 2017, 10:33 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
That sucks even more than The Night Flier.
I have no words.
Old 23rd January 2017, 10:40 PM
Cult Addict

Split.

I liked Sixth sense. I really liked Unbreakable. I liked it because it didn't repeat the formula of Sixth sense and actually tried to go someplace else without sacrificing any of director M. Knight Shyamalan's particular style. Unfortunately Unbreakable didn't do great business so instead we got a series of increasingly contrived twist endings with something like a plot bolted on.
Thankfully Shyamalan has given up making films predicated on there being a big mysterious twist. Instead we get the sort of film the director should have been making ages ago. Its a dark twisted fairy tale with elements of things like altered states as the central character(s) played brilliantly with an unselfconscious performance from James Macavoy who switches between one of the many personalities inhabiting his body. The threat of a final personality emerging, a nietzschean cannibalistic monster named the beast, lends an ominous build up of dread as you begin to realise he might not be insane.
In liked this film a lot. Its difficult to discuss a minor but important plot point that will change how you viewed the film without the film being built entirely around it. Reccomended. His best film in years.
Old 23rd January 2017, 10:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Split.

I liked Sixth sense. I really liked Unbreakable. I liked it because it didn't repeat the formula of Sixth sense and actually tried to go someplace else without sacrificing any of director M. Knight Shyamalan's particular style. Unfortunately Unbreakable didn't do great business so instead we got a series of increasingly contrived twist endings with something like a plot bolted on.
Thankfully Shyamalan has given up making films predicated on there being a big mysterious twist. Instead we get the sort of film the director should have been making ages ago. Its a dark twisted fairy tale with elements of things like altered states as the central character(s) played brilliantly with an unselfconscious performance from James Macavoy who switches between one of the many personalities inhabiting his body. The threat of a final personality emerging, a nietzschean cannibalistic monster named the beast, lends an ominous build up of dread as you begin to realise he might not be insane.
In liked this film a lot. Its difficult to discuss a minor but important plot point that will change how you viewed the film without the film being built entirely around it. Reccomended. His best film in years.
I had zero interest in this film until i read Keirarts' review.
keirarts, trebor8273 and J Harker like this.
Old 24th January 2017, 06:48 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I had zero interest in this film until i read Keirarts' review.
There's a lot more I could say about the film but I've stuck to things you could get either from the trailer or kermodes review.
J Harker likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!