Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th January 2017, 09:27 PM
Cult Addict

The killer

The shortest way to sum this up is Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samouraï as re-imagined by Sam Peckinpah. Chow yun-fat plays a hitman who accidentally blinds a club singer, he befriends her and becomes romantically involved. It all goes wrong when he's betrayed by the mob.
The Killer is possibly John Woos masterpiece, though I know some might argue Hard Boiled or Bullet in the head but the killer works brilliantly in mixing the almost sappy romanticism with the over the top, slow mo bullet fests that sold him to the west. Its sad that Hollywood tried to neuter him as he's still one of the great action directors and choreographs gun play in a way no one else has really mastered.

The final member.

A documentary on the worlds only penis museum. Surprisingly its located in Iceland not Amsterdam. The film documents the museums quest to get a human penis for its display. Weirdly there's competition. An elderly Icelandic adventurer and an American with a big wanger and a powerful sense of patriotism both vie to be the one with the first dick on display. The American candidate appears ever so slightly demented to the point hes actually considering getting it sliced off while hes still alive as his rival is 92 and likely to die soon. The film seems to chart this blokes descent into a type of mania as hes busy getting stars and stripes on the old chap and designing costumes.

xxx: The return of Xander Cage.

I was debating about whether I should go to see this. However the VUE is now £4.99 to see any film and I want to reward that. I also remember the days when the old Apollo was £3 so not much cheaper and this was 20 years ago. Back in the day it was a case of going to see any old nonsense so It was good to sit back with low expectations and see if it was terrible.
Actually its not bad. It has Donnie Yen and Tony Jaa in it for starters. Plus it refuses to take itself seriously and actively seeks out insane nonsense to liven things up including lesbian snipers, Donnie yen dual wielding pistols in Zero g and motorbikes that turn into jet skis. Sure extreme sports became passe about a decade back but the film literally does not care. Its just there to have action as much as possible and try to look good doing it. Its an objectively terrible film in so many ways but I found it a lot of fun.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 30th January 2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 29th January 2017, 09:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
[I]The killer/I]

The shortest way to sum this up is Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samouraï as re-imagined by Sam Peckinpah. Chow yun-fat plays a hitman who accidentally blinds a club singer, he befriends her and becomes romantically involved. It all goes wrong when he's betrayed by the mob.
The Killer is possibly John Woos masterpiece, though I know some might argue Hard Boiled or Bullet in the head but the killer works brilliantly in mixing the almost sappy romanticism with the over the top, slow mo bullet fests that sold him to the west. Its sad that Hollywood tried to neuter him as he's still one of the great action directors and choreographs gun play in a way no one else has really mastered.

The final member.

A documentary on the worlds only penis museum. Surprisingly its located in Iceland not Amsterdam. The film documents the museums quest to get a human penis for its display. Weirdly there's competition. An elderly Icelandic adventurer and an American with a big wanger and a powerful sense of patriotism both vie to be the one with the first dick on display. The American candidate appears ever so slightly demented to the point hes actually considering getting it sliced off while hes still alive as his rival is 92 and likely to die soon. The film seems to chart this blokes descent into a type of mania as hes busy getting stars and stripes on the old chap and designing costumes.

xxx: The return of Xander Cage.

I was debating about whether I should go to see this. However the VUE is now £4.99 to see any film and I want to reward that. I also remember the days when the old Apollo was £3 so not much cheaper and this was 20 years ago. Back in the day it was a case of going to see any old nonsense so It was good to sit back with low expectations and see if it was terrible.
Actually its not bad. It has Donnie Yen and Tony Jaa in it for starters. Plus it refuses to take itself seriously and actively seeks out insane nonsense to liven things up including lesbian snipers, Donnie yen dual wielding pistols in Zero g and motorbikes that turn into jet skis. Sure extreme sports became passe about a decade back but the film literally does not care. Its just there to have action as much as possible and try to look good doing it. Its an objectively terrible film in so many ways but I found it a lot of fun.
About how I felt about XXX return of xander Cage,really harkens back to the day of those OTT action movies of the 90s, just switch your brain off and enjoy the ride. But then again I enjoy most of vin diesels movies.

Last edited by trebor8273; 29th January 2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 29th January 2017, 10:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)

The biographical musical story of George M Cohan a theatre producer who went on to become known as The Man Who Owned Broadway in the early part of the 20th century.

An entertaining extravaganza starring James Cagney as Cohan in what is ultimately an American propaganda piece utilizing the songs Cohan wrote during the First World War as a call to arms in World War 2. Despite this Cohan's songs such as Yankee Doodle Boy and Over There are stirring stuff even now.

Let that not take anything away from a superb performance from Cagney, who, if you only know him as a gangster, proves he could dance every bit as good as Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yankee_doodle_dandy(1).5.jpg (98.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 29th January 2017, 10:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watch Dusk Till Dawn 2 tonight, was a bit apprehensive given the sequel's not so good reputations but thought it was quite fun for what it was.

6/10 for me.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Last edited by Buboven; 29th January 2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 29th January 2017, 10:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
Watch Dusk Till Dawn 2 tonight, was a bit apprehensive given the sequel's not so good reputation but thought it was quite fun for what what it was.

6/10 for me.
I too like it, Buboven. I also like the third film The Hangman's Daughter. A decent direct to video prequel. It's worth a watch if you haven't seen it.
keirarts likes this.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 29th January 2017 at 11:05 PM.
Old 29th January 2017, 11:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I too like it, Buboven. I also like the third film The Hangman's Daughter. A decent direct to video prequel. It's worth a watch if you haven't seen it.
I did start watching it and was quite enjoying it , so might watch it properly tomorrow
Old 29th January 2017, 11:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I did start watching it and was quite enjoying it , so might watch it properly tomorrow
Good stuff. It's one of the best western style vampire films i can recall.
keirarts and Buboven like this.
Old 29th January 2017, 11:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Good stuff. It's one of the best western style vampire films i can recall.
Indeed, I was quite blown away by the quite visually striking opening sequence.
Old 29th January 2017, 11:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Indeed, I was quite blown away by the quite visually striking opening sequence.
It's a few years since i watched Hangman's Daughter so it needs a rewatch i think. I watched Texas Blood Money again last year and found it really enjoyable in a Rio Bravo sort of way.

Have you seen Devil's Den? It's a From Dusk till Dawn style film starring Kelly Hu and Ken Foree.

It has an average score on IMDB but i rather like it.

Devil's Den (2006) - IMDb
keirarts and Buboven like this.
Old 30th January 2017, 09:31 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
However the VUE is now £4.99 to see any film and I want to reward that. I also remember the days when the old Apollo was £3 so not much cheaper and this was 20 years ago. Back in the day it was a case of going to see any old nonsense so It was good to sit back with low expectations and see if it was terrible.
One of the 'reviews' on Amazon for La La Land stated how they'd wasted £3.50 to see it at their local cinema and I had to wonder where on earth they live to get to see a brand new film for that cheap. In Liverpool the new release films are £12.00 a ticket at the Odeon... That's before you do any faff like Premier Seats, IMAX or 3D, that is just a regular normal seat. £4.99 is great value When I was a teenager I used to go to an old cinema that played films just after their original run, tickets were only £1.00 I saw so much stuff, I went every single Saturday afternoon from Teen-Wolf to Back to the Future 2

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!